PDA

View Full Version : no third gear

hot_honda_250R
03-07-2006, 08:39 PM
ok i would be riding along and when i go to put it up into third gear it would grind almost like there was no gear there and stuff but all other gears work fine but whne i took the trike apart all gears were there none of them even showed any grinding to them but all the shifting forks were marded up and would the forks be able to slip and not put the gear all the way into place and make it grind and not work correctly

Aceman
03-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Yes

hot_honda_250R
03-08-2006, 08:04 AM
ok so buying new shifting forks will fix this problem

danniheyj82888
03-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by hot_honda_250R
ok so buying new shifting forks will fix this problem

not necessarily.. we had this same problem and redid everything.. still does it.. we thought it was the shifting fork too, but it wasnt

georgedoggy
03-09-2006, 04:58 AM
ive had this happen to me, you need to check the shifting forks for wear and replace, as for the gears you need to take 3rd gear to a motor machinist and get them to re-face the gear. Or you can buy the new gear from your honda dealer. while your at it, get the machinist to check the other gears. he will want to see the gears together on the splines so make sure when you take them out of the cases, you use rubber bands to keep them together.

hot_honda_250R
03-09-2006, 04:38 PM
i work for AIS engines in grand rapids michigan they dont need to be replaced or re facedthere all like new the have the stock 3-4 rings on the faces of them