PDA

View Full Version : oil pump problem??

Buffalo400
03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
what is a good way to check if your oil pump is going bad?

once i a while a hear a noise that sounds like a bearing going out or dry or both...who knows? it isnt all the time and probably more when i first start it.

any ideas what that sound could be?

JOEX
03-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Buffalo400
what is a good way to check if your oil pump is going bad?

once i a while a hear a noise that sounds like a bearing going out or dry or both...who knows? it isnt all the time and probably more when i first start it.

any ideas what that sound could be?
There is a way to check the oil system, I don't remember the specifics but it's in the repair manual. It has to do with removing the bolt under the oil lines on hte right case cover.

Can you narrow down when the noise occur and where it comes from?

Buffalo400
03-07-2006, 07:29 PM
sound to occur from the oil pump....

1- maybe the oil pump is going bad...

2- maybe it's a camshaft bearing who turn without oil..... the problem, here, is still the oil pump...

I'm looking for a used oil pump on e-bay......

Buffalo400
03-07-2006, 07:43 PM
JOEX

you talk about the oil strainer cleaning.......

I never wash it... I will try this....

JOEX
03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
sound to occur from the oil pump....

1- maybe the oil pump is going bad...

2- maybe it's a camshaft bearing who turn without oil..... the problem, here, is still the oil pump...

I'm looking for a used oil pump on e-bay......
JMO, an oil pump isn't something i'd consider buying used without indepth research of how it works and what the wear points are.

JOEX
03-07-2006, 07:52 PM
JOEX

you talk about the oil strainer cleaning.......

I never wash it... I will try this....
Not what I meant:ermm: There are two screens that I know of, one near the base of the oil tank and one inside the motor that involves removing the right side case cover.

There is a bolt below where the 2 oil lines mount to the right side case. There is a way to visually check at least part of the oiling system by removing it and observing the level. Like I said previously I don't know the specifics of this.

I also don't recall ever hearing of an oil pump failure on the 400ex. Not implying it hasn't happened, I just don't recall ever hearing of it;)

Buffalo400
03-08-2006, 07:05 AM
Yap. I understand. It's call oil strainer ( bolt below the oil pump)into the shop manual, same name than the oil strainer in the oil tanck..... I will wash it today....