PDA

View Full Version : 400ex clutch question

Knarf0486
03-07-2006, 05:46 PM
m having trouble pulling out the 27mm nut in the center of the clutch hub. in the manual it says simply unstake the center lock nut. how do i go about getting this thing off? do i need the special tool clutch center nut?

Frank

Knarf0486
03-07-2006, 05:52 PM
ok i figured it out you gotta pop that tab type deal out and just give it a little elbow grease. thanks anyways.

JOEX
03-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I used a hammer and screw driver to pry it out of the notch. May not be the best method and it wasn't real easy but it worked.

A pneumatic impact wrench works well for removing the nut after unstaking it.

A new lock nut should be installed and staked;)

JOEX
03-07-2006, 05:55 PM
You're welcome:p

Knarf0486
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I used a hammer and screw driver to pry it out of the notch. May not be the best method and it wasn't real easy but it worked.

A pneumatic impact wrench works well for removing the nut after unstaking it.

A new lock nut should be installed and staked;)

exactly what i did. thanks

Knarf0486
03-08-2006, 08:34 PM
hey joex i have a quck question regarding top dead center and the postion of my camshaft and i figure who better to ask than you. i am in the process of replacing my cam chain and after aligning the index marks up with the side of the cylinder, it is obviously already set to top dead center based on the "t" mark in my timing window, i just wanted to be sure that I had my camshaft in the right way and not in the opposite position. meaning that instead of it being in correct position i have it set to the other positon which would completely throw off my timing.

This is kind of hard to explain so i snapped a pic. My question is does my camshaft look like the lobes are facing the right way. Im pretty sure that I put it in the same way i took it out but the only thing i didnt make a note of on my paper was which way the lobes were facing. Im pretty sure they were down like the pic shows but i thought id show you cause ur the man with the master plan lol.

JOEX
03-08-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Knarf0486
hey joex i have a quck question regarding top dead center and the postion of my camshaft and i figure who better to ask than you. i am in the process of replacing my cam chain and after aligning the index marks up with the side of the cylinder, it is obviously already set to top dead center based on the "t" mark in my timing window, i just wanted to be sure that I had my camshaft in the right way and not in the opposite position. meaning that instead of it being in correct position i have it set to the other positon which would completely throw off my timing.

This is kind of hard to explain so i snapped a pic. My question is does my camshaft look like the lobes are facing the right way. Im pretty sure that I put it in the same way i took it out but the only thing i didnt make a note of on my paper was which way the lobes were facing. Im pretty sure they were down like the pic shows but i thought id show you cause ur the man with the master plan lol.
Well, i'm sure there are many others out there who can explain things better than me. AS far as I can tell with the pic it looks correct. If the lines on the cam gear are lined up correctly the lobes will either be pointing up or down and it look like yours are pointing down. Should be good to go.

BTW, I have several master plans:scary: :p ;)

Knarf0486
03-09-2006, 05:51 PM
so now ive put the new cam chain in and reassembled everything inside just the way the manual says. I put the crankcase cover back on, and reattached my clutch cable but the bike doesnt roll with the clutch pulled in. Ive replaced the clutch before and i remember it being real tight when you first attempt to roll it, but not sure if it was this tight. It does roll slighty with some forced put on it but i believe that is the piston being moved. Is this because i havent started it yet and slipped the clutch that first time yet? BTW I did oil the clutch discs before reassembling it and adjusted the cable to proper tension. Thanks for the help BTW

JOEX
03-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Knarf0486
so now ive put the new cam chain in and reassembled everything inside just the way the manual says. I put the crankcase cover back on, and reattached my clutch cable but the bike doesnt roll with the clutch pulled in. Ive replaced the clutch before and i remember it being real tight when you first attempt to roll it, but not sure if it was this tight. It does roll slighty with some forced put on it but i believe that is the piston being moved. Is this because i havent started it yet and slipped the clutch that first time yet? BTW I did oil the clutch discs before reassembling it and adjusted the cable to proper tension. Thanks for the help BTW
I don't know for sure but I think you're on the right track. Fire it up, if everything is ready, and get things flowing then check the cable for proper adjustment.

Assuming you have the lifter arm and spring installed properly. The couple times I had mine apart that was something I was concerned about getting back in correctly:p