PDA

View Full Version : shifter coming loose

07-22-2002, 09:35 AM
everytime I ride my shifter keeps coming loose....I every shifter I have it always seems to do the same thing..any suggestions?? of what I should do

yamaha1470
07-22-2002, 02:36 PM
tighten it harder. maybe u stripped those little "splines" or whatever there called

twisted threads
07-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Does It come loose because of the bolt keep coming loose or is the shifting shaft is striped out? If it is the bolt may be you should get a new one and put some lock tight on it to help hold it on. If it is the shaft I dont thing it is to hard to put a new one in.

07-23-2002, 02:38 PM
if the shifting shaft splines are stripped out and you dont feel like changing it i usully just drill a hole through the middle of the shaft and shifter then insert a bolt and nut through the hole and problem solved. But thats the easy way out not the right way to fix it.

Fox300ex
07-23-2002, 08:05 PM
if u want to fix it easy put a peace of thin rubber around the splin and tight it down or just weild it on :cool:

07-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Take the bolt completely out (the shifter won't come off unless the bolt is completely out) and slide the shifter off the splines. If the splines are worn off or severly worn down on either of the parts, then you need to replace the damaged part.

As for keeping the shifter tight, when you put the shifter back on the splines, before you install the bolt, either put some silicone or Loc-Tite on the bolt threads, then reinstall the bolt and tighten. Be sure to let the silicone or Loc-Tite dry completely before you ride. Don't strip the bolt out, but it needs to be fairly tight.

You can spot weld the shifter onto the shift shaft, but I highly discourage anyone from doing that, because if you need to pull the shifter off in the future for some reason, it is a real pain in the rear to have it welded on there.

knighttime
07-29-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
As for keeping the shifter tight, when you put the shifter back on the splines, before you install the bolt, either put some silicone or Loc-Tite on the bolt threads, then reinstall the bolt and tighten. Be sure to let the silicone or Loc-Tite dry completely before you ride. Don't strip the bolt out, but it needs to be fairly tight.

I understand using lock-tite, but r u sure u about silicone?:confused: Wouldnt that be almost the exact opposite as using loc-tite?

07-29-2002, 12:01 PM
The silicone does just basically what Loc-Tite will do, it fills the gaps in the threads, and once dried, it creates a resistance so the bolt or nut can't back out easily. The bolt or nut can't back out due to the threads being clogged with material, sort of like how rust can clog up threads. When Loc-Tite dries, it leaves a funny almost plastic material in the threads so as to hamper the bolt or nut from working loose. When the silicone dries, it leaves rubbery material in the threads to keep the bolt or nut from working loose. The main difference is that the material that dried Loc-Tite leaves behind actually has better initial holding strength, but the rubbery material that dried silicone leaves stands up to long periods of vibration better. In many cases Loc-Tite is better since it offers better initial holding power, but in places that experience quite a bit of vibration, sometimes silicone will work better.

knighttime
07-29-2002, 12:23 PM
Ky woods riddah :D