PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Oil Cooler? When is it nessacary

Sjorge450R
03-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Since I started modding my 300ex back in June I have been wondering about the temperature the motor gets during my 1 1/2 XC race. I was just wondering WHEN is it NESSECARY to get a oil cooler? What mods should be done before getting one. And how much are they. Thanks
Steve

2muchquad
03-08-2006, 01:38 PM
i would imagine it depends on the state of tune of your motor or the kind of riding you do such as a lot of slow speed stuff etc.i put one on mine regardless because having cooler oil cant hurt the motor.:)

chapmanmd
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Agreed. Oil cooler wont make you go faster, but it will make your motor last longer...

Sjorge450R
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by chapmanmd
Agreed. Oil cooler wont make you go faster, but it will make your motor last longer...

i heard that you cant use them with a stick style steering stablizer. Is this true? Also, where can I get an oil cooler for an 01 300ex.

chapmanmd
03-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Im using an oil cooler on my 02 with a PEP stick stabilizer. My oil cooler mounts vertically on the right down tube of the frame so its nowhere near the stabilizer.

go to www.jagg.com or FST.

Either one will hook you up.

Im running the Jagg cooler and have no problem. Just remember to add more oil equivalent to what the cooler and lines hold.

I would not dream of running a xc 300ex without one.

Just my $.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.

bwamos
03-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I run a Denton stick damper, FST Oil Cooler, and have remote shock resivours, all up front. Fit's up fine. ;)

I have the resivours on the front down tubes, right behind the bumper.

I have the oil cooler on the next set of down tubes back. I have a Sparks x-4 pipe so the header doesnt go through that set of tubes.

As for the damper, I have it mounted from the stem to the downtube that the cooler is on, in front of the engine. I like it there, as opposed to facing forward, since I can just lean over and adjsut the dampening while I'm on the quad on the middle of a race without having to get off... or even stop for that matter. ;)

TarheelRedRider
03-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I just used a 400ex oil cooler. Works great.

300exOH
03-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
I just used a 400ex oil cooler. Works great.

How did you connect the lines? Any pics?

Sjorge450R
03-09-2006, 12:25 PM
so you guys are saying that I should get one as soon as possible?

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Do whatever you want.

All that I can say is that I would not run an XC race on a 300ex without one.

Sjorge450R
03-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Do whatever you want.

All that I can say is that I would not run an XC race on a 300ex without one.

see thats what Im asking. How much is a FST one? less than 100?

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 12:52 PM
should be around there somewhere. just give fst or jagg a call. heck, even check with colby from c&d.

bwamos
03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
FST cooler used to be $75. But, you will want to check. He was having some health issues a month or so ago. Not sure if Mickey's shop is up and running again yet.

Any, transmission/oil cooler will work as long as it fits.

To connect the cooler, I cut the top and the bottom of the brass oil line running up the side of the motor about 2-3" from the connections. Attach the reinforced rubber line fro the bottom to the cooler, and the one from the cooler to the top line. Use hose clamps to clamp it down. Very simple.

I'd put a small 1/2" dip in the line just before getting to the motor so the line will hold oil instead of it running out into the head when the motor is stopped. Will get oil to your head quicker.

300exOH
03-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
FST cooler used to be $75. But, you will want to check. He was having some health issues a month or so ago. Not sure if Mickey's shop is up and running again yet.

Any, transmission/oil cooler will work as long as it fits.

To connect the cooler, I cut the top and the bottom of the brass oil line running up the side of the motor about 2-3" from the connections. Attach the reinforced rubber line fro the bottom to the cooler, and the one from the cooler to the top line. Use hose clamps to clamp it down. Very simple.

I'd put a small 1/2" dip in the line just before getting to the motor so the line will hold oil instead of it running out into the head when the motor is stopped. Will get oil to your head quicker.

Thanks for the info. i have been thinking about the 400ex oil cooler for a while now but I wasn't sure about the connections. The dip in the line would be for the upper line to the head right? Do you just use a tubing cutter to cut the line?

Sjorge450R
03-09-2006, 05:21 PM
well, Mickey isnt there...:( He's on a photoshoot for the weekend. So I will have to call him monday.

Sjorge450R
03-09-2006, 05:25 PM
is this how all of the oil coolers are? Wont this get clogged with mud??? I didn't know that GDH made these.

ebay number: 4620372758

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Yeah, they do get mud in them.

TarheelRedRider
03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
Man you dont have to pay 75 bucks for a oil cooler. You can buy one at any auto parts store that will work just fine.

Sjorge450R
03-10-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by TarheelRedRider
Man you dont have to pay 75 bucks for a oil cooler. You can buy one at any auto parts store that will work just fine.

im building my quad and I want to build it right. I tried rigging my pred 90 like that and it doesnt work 100%.

So is it going to get all messed up when it gets mud in it? And is the GDH one like the others.

chapmanmd
03-10-2006, 06:01 AM
Mine gets mud on it every time i ride. Just brush the mud off and use water on it so that it doesnt damage the fins.

Mud wont hurt them.

If you cant get the FST, call Jagg. Im really happy with the Jagg oil cooler and its a very easy bolt on.

Sjorge450R
03-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Mine gets mud on it every time i ride. Just brush the mud off and use water on it so that it doesnt damage the fins.

Mud wont hurt them.

If you cant get the FST, call Jagg. Im really happy with the Jagg oil cooler and its a very easy bolt on.

so is the mud going to mess up the cooling process? and how do they get connected?

chapmanmd
03-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Mine from Jaggs came with an oil filter cover that had the fittings already in it. Then used braided steel line to connect to the oil cooler. Took all of 15 minutes to put on.

If youre not going to do that, then do it the way that Bwamos mentioned.

Mud does affect the cooling, but if you wash your quad, you shouldnt have any problem.

Sjorge450R
03-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Mine from Jaggs came with an oil filter cover that had the fittings already in it. Then used braided steel line to connect to the oil cooler. Took all of 15 minutes to put on.

If youre not going to do that, then do it the way that Bwamos mentioned.

Mud does affect the cooling, but if you wash your quad, you shouldnt have any problem.

i'll just call FST monday and get everything straightened out.

2muchquad
03-10-2006, 07:55 PM
i run a tranny cooler for a light truck,i didnt even pay $25 for it.Does the same thing as your "big name job specific deals" for a quarter of the price.mine also has about 5 times the cooling capacity of those tiny ones i see.:)

chapmanmd
03-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
i run a tranny cooler for a light truck,i didnt even pay $25 for it.Does the same thing as your "big name job specific deals" for a quarter of the price.mine also has about 5 times the cooling capacity of those tiny ones i see.:)

You da man!!

I just took the easy way out and bought a kit to make my life easier when mounting it.

Good call on the tranny cooler. :D