PDA

View Full Version : Street Bike

Rico400
03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey i was wondering what u guys think about someone getting a street bike at the age of 16 or 17. i really wanna get one for a few reasons.

1. I love being around motorcycles
2. Good gas milage.
3. I heard insurance will be cheap. Might not be its jst what i heard.

So what do you guys think to young? My dads friends go on motorcycle rides all the time and i wanna go as well. what are your guys' passes experiances with this subject?

03-07-2006, 04:26 PM
HAHAHAHAHA insurance cheap!?!?! id say get it if you can talk your rent sinto paying insurance. my friend had an R6 and he was pretty responsible with it

polcat1p
03-07-2006, 07:10 PM
I had a cbr f3, and ins was 200 a year. (liability only, wasnt financed) I loved it. then i started geting carless doing wheeelies all the time, so i sold it. Now that im older,and smarter i liked to get another one. nothing beats crusing in the summer with a bunch of buddies.

Mxjunkie
03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I plan on getting one here soon instead of a truck, if I need a truck I'll just borrow pops.. :p

dirtriderex
03-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I have a yzf600r and plan on getting an R-6 or CBR600r. In Illinois I think you have to be 18 years old for anything with a engine bigger than 250cc.

welpracing
03-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Ok my first bike was a 97 cbr600f3, when i turned 18, and had way more power than needed to start out. I would say if this is your first bike go with a like 90-95: 600 sport bike or any crusier bike. That away you get one to where if you want to do wheelies and speed. you have to work at it alot more and know the control of the bike to get it to do it. crusier bikes will still get you hurt (some will fly) but you won't be near as tempted to do it. I started on my f3 and the power felt very fast and got to riding with guys with big bike and then i got bored with the power (don't let that think you will cus is a powerful bike) now i have a 01 cbr929rr love the power on it but now i find myself doing wheelies all the time and over 100mph alot of the time. so what i am saying is start out little. may not be as "cool" or quite as fun but you will become a much better ride when you do jump up and prolly decrease your chance of crashing.

as far as insurace. If you have a loan insurace is crazy high because you have to get full covarge. on my 97cbr600f3 the cheapest full covarge i could find was $2500 a year. now as far as Lieabilty only (sorry about spelling) that was $300 a year. i didn't check on full for my 929 but lieabilty only is $350 a year.

just don't go out thinking oh if i ride slow and safe i will be fine because that is what i thought and i started playing around. The temptation is way too much.

later Brandon

Racing Rice
03-08-2006, 06:45 AM
IMO, get a 500cc Ninja 500R or Suzuki GS500. They are cheaper on insurance, get better gas mileage, and provide an excellent platform for a beginner. Ride that for a few years and see how you do, then think about upgrading later. You can pick up these older used bikes very cheap, they are very reliable, and plenty fast enough to get you in trouble.

I started on a cruiser. I wish I hadn't. They are usually more heavy which can make low speed manuevers alittle more tricky. They are OKAY starter bikes, but the ones I mentioned about are much better.

Also take an MSF course, or some sort of riding course if you have something in your area.

Rico400
03-08-2006, 04:08 PM
o ok thxx, pretty much the info i was looking for. i will probably be out right buying an older one that is used for now. so 300-400 a year at full isnt bad IMO. i might be able to get a older honda cbr 600 pretty cheap.dont know the exact year. but do you guys think this will be a decent first bike? i know the previous couple of owners so its not some POS on the side of the road or something.

tater_kamik
03-08-2006, 11:48 PM
if you get full insurance, you will not save a dime vs a car, in fact, with the amount your premium will be with full insurance, you will be able ot buy a new bike almost every year. but for minimum insurance, you will save money. but you have to remember the cost of tires. i just got a new set of pilot powers and it ran me a little over 250 bones, and i will be very lucky to get 5000 miles out of them. also the increased maintenence costs (using synthetic oil, and it seems that bikes dont have the longevity and reliability of a car, 40k on a bike is a lot like 100k on a car, expect things to go wrong) also, bikes get stolen, and often. i dont park mine anywhere out of my sight, unless its in my garage. i know a lot of people who have gotten theyre bikes stolen, and never recovered. for arkansas, i have heard its a 1 in ten chance. there are a lot of negatives, plus you will wreck, being that you are young, you will mess around. hell, being that you want a bike im sure its not completely just because it may save you money...

honduh440
03-09-2006, 12:58 AM
all i got to say is if you get one be mature and very carefull. when ur parents say it they mean it. the bikes are very dangerous. ive done several things on em that makes me nervous just thinking about how stupid it was.

03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by honduh440
all i got to say is if you get one be mature and very carefull. when ur parents say it they mean it. the bikes are very dangerous. ive done several things on em that makes me nervous just thinking about how stupid it was. thats why I do not have one. I am not responsible enough to own one. I just go too fast

SGA
03-09-2006, 05:06 PM
all i got to say is if you get one be mature and very carefull. when ur parents say it they mean it. the bikes are very dangerous. [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by MixMasterMike
thats why I do not have one. I am not responsible enough to own one. I just go too fast

Thats good advice. Years ago, I used to love speed and I used to borrow my freinds bike. It almost killed me one night. That was enough for a few years. No more bikes until I got older and more mature.

I also built up a fast mustang about the same time. I sold it about 6 months later because I knew i was gonna be wrapped around a tree.

z400roosteR
03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Number one rule t remember that will keep you alive.....................

Know your limits, and ride within them.:chinese:

wheeltrax
03-09-2006, 05:34 PM
They are definately a blast in summer, I put 1200 miles on mine just going to work, some short rides, and one good trip. I decided against a "sport" bike due to insurance. I instead got a basic Honda nighthawk 450. It gets me where i want to go, its comfy, and its cheap. The insurance for me for a year on that is $140 bucks. I cant remember what coverage, but it was more then the liability only. Only downfall for me is other drivers. I dont get reckless on my bike, I save that for the quad. I have had a few situations where drivers cut you off, or they dont see you. Good luck, and ride safe.

400exrules
03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Rico400
3. I heard insurance will be cheap. Might not be its jst what i heard.

ok wtf, who told you that:huh :huh , lemme guess..... it was a dealership tryin to sell you a bike?

Rico400
03-09-2006, 05:57 PM
no... somone i talked to about getting one. they dont have a bike so i guess they didnt know what they were taling about. lol but if people are saying 200-300 a year for liability thats not bad

theTman
03-09-2006, 06:00 PM
my mom pays 300 a year for her bike insurance

tater_kamik
03-10-2006, 04:26 AM
keep in mind with insurance costs, the type of bike, how many litres, age of the bike, age of the rider, and gender. all of these greatly change your insurance costs, as well as liability or full coverage

Racing Rice
03-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Liability is fairly consistant, and it doesn't really vary much depending on the bike. Full coverage is a different story.

Check out Gieco. They seem to have really good prices on bike insurance. I have Progressive right now, but after seeing the difference between the two when my friend was checking it out yesterday I am going to look into switching. Gieco was nearly half.

suck my pipe
03-10-2006, 07:39 AM
2005 Suzuki Gsxr750 $214 a year for insurance. Suzuki has really good deals on there bikes. If you want one and have decent credit you can afford a suzuki, there great bikes too.

03-10-2006, 08:42 AM
ha, I wanted a motorcycle, or heck event a dual sport dirbike, mabie event a moped.. naw jk on the moped..

But my pops said absolutly not.... he must know me all to well.