PDA

View Full Version : back brakes

Randy H
03-07-2006, 03:41 PM
ok soo i have a 2000 400 ex back in 2002 my dad road the quad befor i did and wore the pads all the way down..so about a year later we put new pads in put the brakes will not bleed..they will not hold anny of the brake fluid..?\
could it be the master cylinder in the brakes?
anny help would help thanks

03-07-2006, 04:01 PM
did u put dot 5 in therE?

Randy H
03-07-2006, 04:20 PM
yes..

JOEX
03-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
did u put dot 5 in therE?
Good call.....

From what i've read DOT 5 is very different than the previous formulas and is not compatible with brake systems designed for the previous formulas.

I've also heard the system can be converted to DOT 5 but it's a bit of a hassle. Given your current situation it may be the way to go since the damage has already been done.

Whichever way you decide to go it would be a good idea to have the front and rear using the same fluid.

Someone else will have to give details on the whys and hows.....

I'll be reading though:)

03-07-2006, 06:36 PM
i dont know the answer to dot 5 because I was tired of dealing with it but I'll tell you what happened with me.

First I added some harley davdison synthetic dot 5 to my rear brake system in the ressi. Brakes worked fine for about an hour or two and then they didnt work anymore. I then opened the ressi to see the fluid level and the rubber boot was enlarged to about twice its size! I was told this is because of mixing dot 4 and dot 5. I can only imagine what happned to the rest of the rubber in the system. I just got a complete used system off ebay because I wasnt going to dump money into it. LESSON I LEARNED is to not use dot 5!

Randy H
03-07-2006, 06:53 PM
no sorry about that..i dont have dot 5 in there..
i dont know what i used last time i tried to bleed them
its wasnt dot 5 i kno that..
can annyone help

03-07-2006, 11:44 PM
you may have blown your master cyclinder but I doubt it.