PDA

View Full Version : What is that square box thing under the gas tank?

cbennett86250r
03-07-2006, 02:09 PM
im thinking it has something to do with the lighting.. and my bike doesnt have that box.. i dont know why..

i just ordered these lights.. im hoping they will work..
will the justhook up to my headlight wiring harness? or will i have to do something special to make them work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4617802676&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

thanks!

wilkin250r
03-07-2006, 03:03 PM
A "square box thing" is probably going to be one of two things.

1. A CDI box. Trust me, your quad has one of these.

2. A voltage regulator. If you don't have lights, you don't need this thing. But if you don't have it, and you DO hook up lights, you're going to blow them out.

cbennett86250r
03-07-2006, 03:51 PM
definitely voltage regulator..
thanks!

Meat
03-07-2006, 06:36 PM
the voltage reg is not under the seat.

I think the "box" your referring too is the square boot that covers a coupla electrical connectors on the wiring harness.

Meat
03-07-2006, 06:37 PM
yea they'll just tap right into your headlight wiring.

Lincoln
03-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey there... did you ever use that light setup? There's a deluge of them on ebay and I was wondering if you had any luck with them and maybe how they compare with stock. Thanks all. This is my first post on your really great forum, Lincoln

cbennett86250r
03-23-2006, 08:55 AM
yeah.. they suck.. really really bad..
the first time i washed my 250r the headlights got filled with water and fogged over..
then i went out and played in the asphault, did a big wheelie, got a little too far with it, and let it down just a little extra hard than usual, and both lights broke off of their clamps... low quality man.. i dont know what im going to get now.. but i want something good..

i guess you get what you pay for

Hoppedrap
03-23-2006, 09:48 AM
This is the most reliable one I've found. Takes about ten minutes to remove and install. You'll have to upgrade your stator to 200W

http://www.rickystator.com/pages/400EX%20&%20TRX250R%20Baja2.html

Meat
03-25-2006, 05:43 PM
I bought a set of those halogens on Ebay for my Banshee, they looked fine, they were brighter than my stock lights. BUT.... both lights broke within' a few weeks, actually the lights themselves didnt break, but the cheap mounting bracket that came with em broke.

FYI, you can buy the same lights at Advance Auto stores for $19.99. They were the same ones I bought on Ebay. You can save some shipping costs if you get at Advance. The ones on Ebay usually start out at $19.99, so I wouldnt buy a set on Ebay for any more than $20 bucks. Id be willing to guess all the major auto parts stores carry these little halogen lights in one form or another.

So.... the ebay lights will work.... but the brackets are crappy and the hard use they get on an ATV will eventually break the brackets that were designed to be used on an car\truck.

denny:chinese: