View Full Version : 450r TT setups? show me what you got?

xsr_racing28c
03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
I am currently building up a TT 450r and wondering what else i really need..or how i should approach it.

Up front i have:
+2 Epic Long travel arms
(what length shocks for TT) No shocks yet...

Rath swaybar
lsr +4 adj. axle
stock swinger
custom axis rear shock comp/reb adjust

Basically i just need to know what length shocks im gonna need up front for this to be a good setup.. im currently deciding on which 4:1 rims to buy up front so i will have 4:1's when the time comes, but still need to be 50" or less up front.

czrider263
03-07-2006, 11:25 AM
You posted this before and no one said anythin, I gusse no one races TT lol jk. I would help you but im a mx guy.

iceracer65
03-07-2006, 11:31 AM
custom axis agressive TT shocks, stock everything else last year.

my front shocks are 16", i havent measured my back one.

xsr_racing28c
03-07-2006, 01:54 PM
i just need to know what i should run for tt with long travel fronts

iceracer65
03-07-2006, 03:17 PM
you will prolly have to run LT shocks with that set up.

im sure there is enough adjustment on the LT shocks to get your ride height were you need it.

xsr_racing28c
03-07-2006, 04:27 PM
thanks iceracer65...i just hope i can stay under 50" with the lt +2's and 4:1 rims.... its gonna be close...

btw: where do you ride tt?? and what class?? Im prolly gonna be riding up at gravity park

iceracer65
03-07-2006, 05:30 PM
i usually ride the quadlympics up there, i might run a few more local races if i can swing it.

i also ran all the national TT's last year and i am planning on doing it again this year.

CFRacer03
03-07-2006, 08:18 PM
what year R is it? if its an 04-05 those +2's should be under 50 inches. if its an 06 they probably won't. If you're looking for shocks just whatever brand you want, call the company and have them build you shocks setup for TT...

flattrack450
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
jason & jason-

iceracer- this is the same quad i 'borrowed' to run paducah last year. i go and expose him to this tt stuff... now look what's happening, everyone wants in on the fun! oh well, i'll continue to help him work on this thing and maybe i'll be offered another ride or two before the 06 season wraps up!

did you ever dub that dvd for kenny? if not, get me his address and i'll get a copy out to him. i told him i would before we ever left KY last sept... think he'll notice i'm a little late.

flattrack

flattrack450
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
btw "450r TT setups? show me what you got?"

do you want to see 450r tt setups, or do you want to "see what i got?"

iceracer65
03-08-2006, 06:08 AM
TONY!!

i thought something happened to you man, good to hear from you.

i havent dubbed that DVD yet, i watched it once, and gave it to joel janssen to copy....havent seen it since. (actually ive only been there once to get it, he had it at home.)

dont worry, ill get it to kenny.

i have big plans for this year! rath tt a arms and an axle!!!:eek2: along with some motor work, im going to run a ProAm class.

would you guys be interested in doing some asphalting up in shawano this summer? there is a world class go cart track that i have opened the door to quads at.

the track opens for practice next month. the race director said if i get 8-10 quads there and we can make for an exciting show, he will try to work us into the race program....let me know!!

patrickj75
03-08-2006, 06:20 AM
here's my 450R

xsr_racing28c
03-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Tony, you'll definately have a couple rides sponsored by me this season.. just keep your wrenching hand in shape, cuz i'll be needing you.

iceracer65
03-08-2006, 07:25 AM
XSR that pic above gave me an idea.

what about using your stock shocks with your LT a arms?

that would save you abunch of money and would give you all the adjustments you would need on a TT track.

Ripitupfilms
03-08-2006, 07:29 AM
y do you quys by expesive shocks for tt..y not get some cheap stocks shocks from another quad

xsr_racing28c
03-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Well i may just use some nice standard travel aftermarket shocks, but im not sure yet.. im gonna mock up the front end and see what kinda length im gonna need up front.. i just sold a great set of elka remote rezzies, so i'll either get some elkas, pep's, or axis front again..

iceracer65: what length shocks do you think i should use with LT arms??

iceracer65
03-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
y do you quys by expesive shocks for tt..y not get some cheap stocks shocks from another quad

i have them for the adjustability over stock style ones.

stock style shocks may work good at local events, but if you want to get serious you have to have good shocks.

TT is all about handling. in order to get the bike to handle just the way you want it, you need the adjustability that only high end aftermarket shocks can give you.

if you think our shock are expensive, you should see the pros stuff.

iceracer65
03-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Well i may just use some nice standard travel aftermarket shocks, but im not sure yet.. im gonna mock up the front end and see what kinda length im gonna need up front.. i just sold a great set of elka remote rezzies, so i'll either get some elkas, pep's, or axis front again..

iceracer65: what length shocks do you think i should use with LT arms??

if it were me, i would use stock 450R shocks and take the $1500 and spend it somewhere else.

the stock 450R shocks are very good shocks that should be able to give you the ride height/dampening you want for TT.

as long as you arent racing MX, i would think that they would also work for all around riding.

it all just depends on what kind of riding you want to do with these shocks.

xsr_racing28c
03-08-2006, 08:15 AM
well heres the deal... im not worried about spending some extra money, and i sold me stockers two years ago, so i'd have to buy someone elses... Every so often i would be doing some mx riding around my house, and would need something that could soak up the landings a little bit better... im pushing towards custom axis shocks , but may get some pep's.. im not gonna be running any nationals yet, so like you said i would't need anything really serious, but i want aftermarket for sure.. im just unsure on what length to get.. Guys were saying they used 19.50 shocks for mx with these arms, so what length for tt with swaybar??

iceracer65
03-08-2006, 08:23 AM
a buddy of mine has axis long travel's.

he raced studded on the ice this year, and had no problem getting them setup with a sway bar/lowered down.

the only thing you might run into is being too wide. remember the LT's are set up to measure 50" at a MX ride height, as you lower it, it will get wider.

youll just have to try it and see.:ermm:

xsr_racing28c
03-08-2006, 08:32 AM
yea i know thats what i am kinda worried about.. im am gonna have to check into it, and find out.. they are +2 arms, and i'll be running 4:1 rims so i may be able to sink it down and still make the 50" limit.. i know some guys run +3's in mx on 450r's and run 4:1 rims and they still are legal, so i should be able to get it done.. we'll see cross those fingers!!!

czrider263
03-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Heres a TT 450r

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/czrider263/ogden052MED.jpg

iceracer65
03-08-2006, 08:45 AM
ahh yes, darin ogden.

that guy rides like an ape, plus hes still rockin the mullet!

here are a couple of pics i snapped last summer.

'05 EDT's (http://forums.pstuning.com/index.php?showtopic=1009)

xsr_racing28c
03-08-2006, 08:55 AM
thanks for the pics... I see a couple guys have lt setups out there.. im gonna have to try it out and see...

So where are you at here in Wisconsin?? It'd be cool to see you up at Gravity sometime.. this will be my first time running tt, so it'll be an interesting year..Sometime when we're up there, im sure Tony will intoduce us.. keep the advice coming , i realy appreciate it...

Once i get all my parts, i will kinda show ya what im running, and maybe you can shoot me a couple pointers!! Thanks, Jason

iceracer65
03-08-2006, 09:05 AM
im in weyauwega, about 45mins strait west of green bay.

i will deffinately be at some local races this year as i have a bunch of new parts coming too.

see you around,
Jason

dmackesty
03-08-2006, 09:24 AM
This is my set up from last year. This year I added a different linkage in the rear to lower it a little more.

CFRacer03
03-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by atvracer9m

i know iceracer65 already covered this, but I was just gonna back him up...

because TT racing is alot about setup and handling, if you want to compete on the high level races, you have to have the right stuff. With TT you're adjusting stuff all the time, depending on the what track it is and even between heats or motos depending on how much rubber has been laid down, constant tuning...

CFRacer03
03-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by iceracer65
i have them for the adjustability over stock style ones.

stock style shocks may work good at local events, but if you want to get serious you have to have good shocks.

TT is all about handling. in order to get the bike to handle just the way you want it, you need the adjustability that only high end aftermarket shocks can give you.

if you think our shock are expensive, you should see the pros stuff.

yea right, I wish I could pay what the pros pay! $0! (depending on who it is)

iceracer65
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CFRacer03
i know iceracer65 already covered this, but I was just gonna back him up...

because TT racing is alot about setup and handling, if you want to compete on the high level races, you have to have the right stuff. With TT you're adjusting stuff all the time, depending on the what track it is and even between heats or motos depending on how much rubber has been laid down, constant tuning...

you hit the nail on the head...great post.

this is why i love TT, it is a thinking mans race. if you get your bike set up to race the track first, the results will come with a little luck and determination. there are so many variables that come into play to get your bike set up right.

if i was an A class MX'er, and i had my shocks set up for 180lbs, ANY other person that weight would be able to swing a leg over my bike and potentially win.

this is not the case with TT. everyone has their own set up, what works for them. just like nascar, diver A has a hard time getting used to driver B's setup.

xsr_racing28c
03-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Well after reading all the info you guys have given im really glad i posted this topic.. Im really pumped to get out and ride now, and put some rubber down myself...

Tony and I ripped my quad down the the bare frame last nite, and its almost ready for the gusset kit to be installed.. then off to powdercoated, and hopefully within two weeks i can start building the quad from the ground up.. thanks again guys... keep the info and chatter coming!!! ~Jason

iceracer65
03-14-2006, 03:39 PM
here is an asphalt track im going to be riding on next month...should be fun!!

xsr_racing28c
03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Jason,
That looks like it would be hella fun!!!! Where is that?? Shoot some pics while riding out there...

update: So the frame is being delayed cuz of my trip down to Geneva this weekend for the snocross races, but Tony and I started to dig into the motor tonite and are getting ready for the JE 13:1 piston that should be here tommorow... All the parts are rolling in on a daily basis and before long, this thing will be up and going and looking and performing better than ever... I will get some pics of the mid-rebuild process we got going and tell ya'll whats going on.. If you have any suggestions please post em up here.. i'd appreciate all comments and suggestions... thanks, Jason

LuckyOxygen
03-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by iceracer65
here is an asphalt track im going to be riding on next month...should be fun!!

You will be buying new tires after that trip to...Looks fun though!

drthrottle
03-14-2006, 09:46 PM
that track looks fake

iceracer65
03-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Jason,
That looks like it would be hella fun!!!! Where is that?? Shoot some pics while riding out there...

update: So the frame is being delayed cuz of my trip down to Geneva this weekend for the snocross races, but Tony and I started to dig into the motor tonite and are getting ready for the JE 13:1 piston that should be here tommorow... All the parts are rolling in on a daily basis and before long, this thing will be up and going and looking and performing better than ever... I will get some pics of the mid-rebuild process we got going and tell ya'll whats going on.. If you have any suggestions please post em up here.. i'd appreciate all comments and suggestions... thanks, Jason

we are going for open practice april 15th. the track is in shawano wi.

let me know if you are interested in going!

yea tires are gonna be an issue...i have a few around here that can be sacraficed to the quad gods! :devil: im also going to purchase some boat trailer tires for a little burnout action.

xsr_racing28c
03-15-2006, 10:10 AM
i'd be interested, but idk if i'll have my quad all ready by then.. I have so many things to do with it yet, but it should be together by then. I'll keep it in mind, maybe tony and I will meet ya up there, or whatever. TTyl, Jason

One_Bad_400
03-15-2006, 02:10 PM
what tires will you run?

iceracer65
03-15-2006, 02:24 PM
i have a line on some 55 compound american racers.

otherwise i was looking for gold speeds like they use at pont de vaux.

xsr_racing28c
03-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Tony told me he's got the 55's all ready for you.. I'd love to come out there and ride but i'm not sure i'll be able to make it.

The quad is coming along great. After being up until 2am two nites this week getting the frame gusseted and checked out, i'm ready for this thing to be reassembled and rideable. All the parts are being powdercoated as we speak and the only thing i'm waiting for yet are my maier plastics. I can't wait to put the quad back together and all really excited to stand back and look at my new project. Tony ( Flattrack450) has been helping me a ton and has been a great help!!

Keep posting the TT pics..

djhenson23
03-24-2006, 03:52 PM
ill post mine when i have it all done. i am having my peps piggyback fronts and peps rear shock being built right now and along with my jb a arms and swing arm. they should be in sometime in april. I will also have the rath bumper, grabbar, nerfs, steering stem and graphics on it. I am sending my motor to baldwin for all the goodies. So when its finally all done i will get pics up.

iceracer65
03-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Ken Marcou in Brashear, TX '05.

xsr_racing28c
03-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I was watching Kenny up at Gravity last summer and he's amazing!!

palot
03-26-2006, 06:47 PM
you should go over and check out atvnc.com they have a extreme dirt track ( tt ) section and there are alot of guy's up there that do nothing but run the Southern Extreme Dirt Track Nationals and the GNC EDT's .. you might get some pointer's there that could help you out also.. the more advise the better ..
right ?

iceracer65
03-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by palot
you should go over and check out atvnc.com they have a extreme dirt track ( tt ) section and there are alot of guy's up there that do nothing but run the Southern Extreme Dirt Track Nationals and the GNC EDT's .. you might get some pointer's there that could help you out also.. the more advise the better ..
right ?

im a member there, nice ppl there.:D :)

CFRacer03
03-26-2006, 11:35 PM
This is my brother at Brashear '05. I didn't race last season but hopefully will be this year. It's a crappy picture but its the only one I have right now of the actually race...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/CFRacer03/Brashear2.jpg

This is him with the plaque...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/CFRacer03/Brashear4.jpg

CFRacer03
03-26-2006, 11:36 PM
I don't know why that pic is so big, sorry bout that...

ranger400ex1994
03-27-2006, 03:23 PM
I tryed to ride that track in shawano last year. and the people who own it said no quads. only bikes go karts and cars

palot
03-27-2006, 05:22 PM
this is a picture of my son's bike

One_Bad_400
03-27-2006, 07:42 PM
this is a picture of my son's bike

what track is that? that track looks very nice... naci bike too... what shocks?

palot
03-27-2006, 08:19 PM
the track is birch creek (daneville va. )
the shocks , well that's kinda hard to say.. chuckie's dad took different parts of different shocks to make them the way chuckie wanted them. also chuckie is a welder so he will make things for his bike the way he want's them. cant remember everything he has made but i know he came in last week and had made tie rods for it.. he like's to try thing's like that

One_Bad_400
03-27-2006, 08:22 PM
oh my gosh that track looks so freakin awesome... i cant wait to race it this year... but it'll be a 12-13 hour drive for us... is your son racimg the Extreme Dirt Track Nationals? what class does he run?

palot
03-27-2006, 08:27 PM
yes he has run some of them the past 2 years and hopes to run them all this year.. he also run's the southern extreme dirt track races which is our local series, and 2 of our track,s are birch creek and elizabeth city which is where 2 of the gnc are run.. he run's all the pro classes.

One_Bad_400
03-27-2006, 08:29 PM
he'll run pro class at the nationals? whats his name

palot
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
yea he run pro last year , he name is chuckie creech. have you run the national's before??

palot
03-27-2006, 08:36 PM
scroll about half way down..

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178789&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

xsr_racing28c
03-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I love the banking in the turn in that picture you posted. It looks like it would be a very fun and quick track to ride.

I'm getting jealous of everyone being able to ride. I probably won't have mine back together til next week. can't wait

palot
03-28-2006, 12:55 PM
you can go to this link and see some pictures of the birch creek track. there are right many pictures there so it should give you an idea of the whole track.

http://www.atvnc.com/forums/index.php/topic,14450.0.html

be sure to check out some of blue groove's pictures. his are real good.

iceracer65
03-28-2006, 03:08 PM
you should have seen farr and little go around that corner 4th gear pinned with their right rear tire about 3" from the edge.

chucky creech is a very good rider.

those mid eastern states are serious about there TT let me tell ya'.:devil:

heres "The Wild Child" Mandy Brodil's bike, pretty in pink. i think it would be cool if she put streamers on the grip ends!:D

http://forums.pstuning.com/gallery_uploads/1123194363/gallery_165_22_143145.jpg

palot
03-28-2006, 06:47 PM
I agree with you about these tt riders and there bikes. this is Andrea . She and Chuckie are getting married in Oct. she plan's on running the national's this year to.

One_Bad_400
03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
yea he run pro last year , he name is chuckie creech. have you run the national's before??

i ran paducah and brashear last year.. i'm running A class this year... i'm ready.. i cant wait till the first race... well.. i have to wait... because my engine is in Cali. and who knows where my suspention is... my bro (CFRacer03) is practicly my manager... so he should know where all my stuff is... lol...

One_Bad_400
03-28-2006, 07:32 PM
my bike so far... as you can see... a little over a month b4 the first race.. and no where near completion... but its looking good atleast haha... candy blue PC frame with peral blue front plastics...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pc3e917e4fecbb5b8521f62d64f08a560/efaa372a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pd8c339e121efe770aacef4581c4b7855/efaa36f8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/pce29f8b4d39c1afa49404bf3fd1ce35b/efaa36a1.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid203/p36ae52faa9aa71aa56feb3b6fc048629/efaa3666.jpg

palot
03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
if you go to atvnc.com and look in the extreme dirt track section go back to some of the old pages you can find pictures of the elizabeth city track . that's alway's a nice track to.

palot
03-28-2006, 07:55 PM
look's like it will be a sweet looking bike when you get it together.. good luck this year, but most of all just remember to have fun and everything else will fall in place.

djhenson23
03-28-2006, 07:56 PM
im with u hunter, i have a little while till il be ready. i got my rath bumper, grabbar, graphics and number backgrounds today. i will be sending my motor to baldwin as soon as i get the bike. im not getting it for a few weeks still. my shocks a arms, and swingarm are being built right now. so hopefully it wont be real long. baldwin said it would only be like 4-6 weeks on the motor. so i really cant wait. but when i get it all i will definatll post pics.

iceracer65
03-30-2006, 06:31 AM
i am waiting on some stuff as well.

my birthday is coming up next week...hopefully i get some presents in the mail!

xsr_racing28c
03-30-2006, 07:11 AM
jason, whats your address... i'll send you all my old bearings from my rebuild.. oh yea and a stock piston.. seeing as i got two of them.. haha.. Happy B-Day btw!!!!

iceracer65
03-30-2006, 09:14 AM
LOL!

thanks man.:devil:

xsr_racing28c
04-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Jason, let me know how the riding goes up at Shawano... It's actually looking like i'm gonna have my quad done possibly by this weekend. I will definatly have some pics up in a little TT buildup thread, so check that out on here soon..

Btw: You gotta make sure you get someone out there shooting pics for ya on the asphalt... can't wait to see em'!!!!!

iceracer65
04-18-2006, 11:15 AM
mines slowly going together. bearings coming for a janssen -1" swinger and Lonestar axle.

how do you like the skinz tony?:devil:

xsr_racing28c
04-18-2006, 11:23 AM
Looks sweet man!!! We had a mishap with the Elka Piggybacks that i had and i had to go out and buy some new shocks so my build got delayed a little bit. I decided to go with axis lt fronts now and mounted everything up yesterday, and it looks great. I think we should have it up and running by the weekend for sure.

Oh yea and my sister just bought an 06 kicker that we gotta pick up tonite, so it's gonna make for a good week i think...

xsr_racing28c
04-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Ahh almost the finished product... We did a little switching around and had to go with Custom Axis instead of Elka... I love the switch and can't wait to ride. I am picking up my new Hiper beadlocks tommorow morning from Janssen, so its going to have a little different look.

Watch for a 450r TT build up thread probably tommorow on here..

Thanks again Tony!!!!!

xsr_racing28c
04-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Oh yea, and here is a pic from last nite of my sister Jena practicing here skills aboard here 3 day old 2006 450r Kicker... i couldn't be more proud!!!

iceracer65
04-24-2006, 09:37 AM
how old is she, and would she mind if i used her quad as a practice bike? :devil: :D

xsr_racing28c
04-24-2006, 09:44 AM
she's 18... and i'm pretty sure shes not gonna want anyone else riding it.. lol..

iceracer65
04-24-2006, 09:47 AM
cool!...and dang...