PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Question

fishvt
03-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I have an exhaust question for my '05 450R. I spoke with a guy the other day that said since I don't race, there is no need to put a full exhaust system on, just the pipe would be fine (Bill Balance), is this true? Also, I will jet it once I change the pipe, but he also said the stock filter will work fine, is this true? Basically, I just need to know what package would make the most sense for me. I don't race it so I don't need a "super fast" bike, but i wouldn't mind a little more power. I know I'm getting the Bill Balance, but what I need to know is do I need to get the full exhaust, and do I need to get another filter? Thanks for the help.

krazken
03-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Buying a new filter just because you get a new pipe isn't a necessity. There are other reasons to move away from the stock air filter to an aftermarket. Things such as flow rate, resistance to allow dirt/water/sand/etc. through, and ease of cleaning. In the grand scheme of things, you are only looking at 30 to 40 bucks for a good aftermarket filter, so I say go ahead while you are dropping the bones for the exhaust to go ahead and pick one up. The way that I look at filters....honda's specialty isn't filters, so why not use a filter from a company that specializes in building good air filters. I think that is the general thought process around a lot of aftermarket products.

just my .02

fishvt
03-07-2006, 09:47 AM
His argument for the stock filter was the ease of cleaning it, and its ability to stop more of the dirt and sand and such. I ride in sort of dusty conditions, with quite a bit of mud and "muddy" sand, if that makes sense, it's nothing too extreme. Do you have any suggestions on the "full exhaust", or just buying the pipe? From what I've read and heard, buying just the pipe will probably give me what I'm looking for, as long as I jet it correctly, (and add the right filter if necessary). Any suggestions to this?

krazken
03-07-2006, 09:52 AM
My advice is...always buy the full exhaust if you can. That way the header, mid, and can are all tuned to each other. With slip on's, its a good gain, just not as much as you would get with a full exhaust. Are you sold on getting the HMF? There are other brands out there that are same price range or cheaper that give better gains all around.

I HIGHLY recommend the Rossier pipe.