PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Drive Chain Woes

DieselBoy
03-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Okay so I noticed after riding a bit my chain has considerable play (up/down) and im concerned. the previous owner put a smaller sprocket on so that may be the reason. My question is: can I take a link out and put a new masterlink in to tighten it up? it's quite a bit. chain doesn't look to be in bad condition. sprockets have no teeth bend (new condition) I priced a cain on Bikebandits or whatever and it said Chain SET : $98.......please @#$% tell me that's not for a @#$% drive chain. I took a link out of my YZ250 chain when i had it and it worked good. What is your opinion?

Please advise ASAP.

DieselBoy
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
also i know you can adjust the chain slack but i think removing a link would be a much better approach. probably 2'' play or a CH less.

prepracing
03-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
also i know you can adjust the chain slack but i think removing a link would be a much better approach. probably 2'' play or a CH less.

why would you want to take out a link if you don't have to ?...... you should adjust your chain first and if it will not tighten up enough then you could take a link out.

Dumontexrider
03-07-2006, 02:59 AM
On my old 400ex, the chain was always comming loose, but it was easy to tighten. eventually it got to streched out that we had to buy a new one. Rockymountainatv.com has them for around $40. After putting it on, it still kept comming loose so i had to take out the axle and clean out all the sand from the swingarm where it tightens and it stayed tight until i sold it.

I wouldnt take a link out of a stock chain. If you can pay $4000 for a quad, you can pay $40 for a basic part.

trick250r
03-07-2006, 03:56 AM
if its a newer chain, its going to stretch. like prepracing said, dont take the link out unless you have to.

DieselBoy
03-07-2006, 11:13 AM
I just figure since there's a smaller sprocket ( i think front) it would cause the chain to be a little saggier I would just take out a link and have it short-er so if i do need to adjust it, i can adjust it with the chain adjuster. The manual has some bogus ****e about adjusting the chain... What's the best way I've never really studdied the axle/chain adjuster.

$40 chain is fine with me. If it's $98 FORGET it.

DieselBoy
03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm on Royal Distributing.com , and I'm trying to figure out the size of the chain, because they go by chain size not by bike model. Does anyone know the size? I think it's 100 links.

tater_kamik
03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
with a smaller sprocket, if you are at the end of your adjustment you will need a new chain. or to cut a link out, but i prefer a new chain personally. 2 inches of play is absolutely too much. you should be looking at about an 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch. check top and bottom play because depending on how you stopped, one side will be tighter than the other. if you have too much play you WILL cause the chain to jump on the sprocket and boom, you need a new sprocket, and you killed your day of riding. my opinion: new chain, adjust as needed, and go riding hard. after riding check your tension and adjust as needed. it is not worth risking failures when riding, you and your quad can get hurt!!!!

DieselBoy
03-07-2006, 04:35 PM
When I said approx. 2'' play , I meant play midway up the swingarm, from where it sits to where i lift it up. What size is this chain? 520x100?

prepracing
03-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
I just figure since there's a smaller sprocket ( i think front) it would cause the chain to be a little saggier I would just take out a link and have it short-er so if i do need to adjust it, i can adjust it with the chain adjuster. The manual has some bogus ****e about adjusting the chain... What's the best way I've never really studdied the axle/chain adjuster.

$40 chain is fine with me. If it's $98 FORGET it.

whats bogus about chain adjustment ? the 400ex has the simplest chain adjustment there is, loosen the 4 bolts on the end of the swingarm and turn/camover the bearing carrier beside your chain and you will see your chain tighten. Then tighten your four bolts. Your gonna have to do that anyway if you cut a link out.

JOEX
03-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Are you checking the freeplay while you (or someone with similar weight) are on the quad?

The free play should be about 1 1/2" +/-. The additional 1/2" play you have should easily be taken up by adjusting it at the swingarm, very easy to do.

DieselBoy
03-07-2006, 07:24 PM
I just checked it quickly in neutral, nobody on it, no tension.... I've been away from these thing's for a while now, the quads are different ballgame from the YZ I had.

I need to know the size. Royal probably has it for like 39.99
Does anyone know the size? If so it would be a huge weight off my shoulders.

prepracing
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I belive stock size is like a 50series, but alot of people that race run an oversize 60series to reduce the stretching. And make sure you get an O-ring chain or your waisting your time with a standard because they stretch like crazy

Toadz400
03-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Have someone sit on the rearend of it and adjust it while it's compressed. Doesn't sound like you need to remove a link, just adjust it like you're supposed to...and it's not that hard.

Johnny B
03-08-2006, 08:08 AM
I believe The number of links in the chain are 94 if you have a stock swingarm

7t9cbx
03-16-2006, 04:50 AM
sub frame grab bar should be 43 inches from ground for correct chain tension on a 400ex-------