PDA

View Full Version : Engineering

xx3003xrdrxx
03-06-2006, 08:05 PM
I really enjoy sketching my own designs of all types of different things and creating things on the computer. Im getting the program CAD ( sp ) and I think I'm really going to enjoy it ... What I was wondering is how is this as a career ? Hows the money , is it ejoyable / stressful . What are some good schools close to PA that have a good engineering program? Ive read that Akron is in the top 200 in the country .

All info and oppinions will be apprecciated . Im going to be a junior in High school and would like to start figuring out what I want to do later on in life , yet will still give me time to do things that I enjoy ( racing )

Thanks alot - Chris

03-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Penn State is a great engineering school. If you're very good at high level math, you'll enjoy it. If not, well, not so much.

Quad18star
03-06-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
If you're very good at high level math, you'll enjoy it. If not, well, not so much.

^^ What he said .

Make sure you fully understand everything they teach you in highschool math ... cuz once you're in engineering , you'll live for numbers . I hated the damn course cuz I sucked at math , but I still catch myself inside a building looking up at the beams and doing math calcs ... it's scary !!! :ermm:

400exrider0004
03-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Im kinda of in the same position, do any of you know what a good engineering college is in CA???

Tommy 17
03-06-2006, 10:17 PM
PENNSTATE!

400exBro
03-07-2006, 10:12 AM
You will also learn to love Physics as an engineer!!!
Engineering is not always about designing on Cad, unless you go strictly into Design work (Cad/ Cam etc...).
The best way to find out if engineering is for you is talk with an engineer and ask them what they do on a regular basis. Maybe even try to spend a day with them at work.
I am actually on my first work term as an "engineer" (haven't graduated yet) i have 5 work terms through out my schooling. So i am able to get a feel for different engineering fields and gain a lot of expirence.

Anyone on the Formula SAE team out there? I am on the University of Waterloos Formula SAE team, and I might be in Pontaic Mi for the anual competition.

Quad18star
03-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
You will also learn to love Physics as an engineer!!!
Engineering is not always about designing on Cad, unless you go strictly into Design work (Cad/ Cam etc...).
The best way to find out if engineering is for you is talk with an engineer and ask them what they do on a regular basis. Maybe even try to spend a day with them at work.
I am actually on my first work term as an "engineer" (haven't graduated yet) i have 5 work terms through out my schooling. So i am able to get a feel for different engineering fields and gain a lot of expirence.

Anyone on the Formula SAE team out there? I am on the University of Waterloos Formula SAE team, and I might be in Pontaic Mi for the anual competition.

Timo ... what type of engineering are you studying?? Mechanical? Civil ?

But yeah great advise .... try and hang out with an engineer for a week or so ... kind of job shadow them . You either learn to love it , or hate it .

I'll tell you right now , if you go into Civil engineering be prepared to do a lot of work outdoors in any condition and be prepared to travel .... unless you want an office job . I did surveying outside in the snow and it wasn't too pleasant , especially when it's 11:30 at night and you have to restart everything cuz you have a couple bad calculations . :grr:

PismoLocal
03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Im kinda of in the same position, do any of you know what a good engineering college is in CA???
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is the best engineering school in the California and Some say even in the country. I'm currently in their engineering program. Im thinkin about dropping out though or switching my major its a little on the really hard and rigorous(Sp) side.

400exBro
03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I am in a program called System Design- it is a spin off of Mechanical, with some electrical mixed in.

Apparently it is the 3rd hardest course to get into at Waterloo, with Mechatronics and Nano tech are up there for 1st. But i am not sure if i should switch over into mechanical. We will see, the down side to this co op thing is that I am in school durning the summer!!! since i have my 4 month co op term right now.

parkers30
03-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Do you get paid co-op terms?

I willend up doing a total of 8 three month co-op terms during my 4 1/2 years of school. The experience shoudl serve me well and has already proven to be a big benefit. If nothing else it really shows me what I don't want to do for the rest of my life.

By the way I go to Kettering University get my ME

400exBro
03-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes paid co op. For my frist work term i am making 13.50 an hour which isn't to bad.
By my 4th and final year i can be making up to or more then $20/hour. Average for last years co op salary for graduating students was $22/hour

So i am happy with the co op program. The only thing is getting a good employer!!!