PDA

View Full Version : reliability

TRX23rider
03-06-2006, 07:00 PM
i am planning on getting a 416 kit for my 400ex. i want something that will be pretty much bulletproof just like it is stock. what should i get to keep it reliable?

i planned on getting the following:
JE 10.8:1 piston
Hotcams stg. 2
Cosmetic gaskets
maybe some port and polish of the head

should i have to do anything with my studs or clutch to keep it reliable? if i just change my oil regularly and keep up on the little things should this be almost as reliable as stock?

Thanks for your help!!

quadracer44
03-07-2006, 05:44 AM
The mods you listed shouldnt hurt reliabilty much at all. On the 400 ex i wouldnt go above a 11:1 compression ratio. The clutch is iffy you shouldnt have to replace it because you arent going to radical on the motor but it may wear it out quicker than what the stock motor would. This should be close to as reliable as stock.

TRX23rider
03-07-2006, 05:14 PM
yeah i think im just gonna get a high comp. piston at std bore and a hot cams then later if i decide to do a 416/426 i will do that inthe future. i just dont know if i want to tear apart my engine when its not even a year old.

honda460ex
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Well, if I were you I wouldn't put a stage 2 cam in it for now. That stage 2 cam is meant for something with more displacement and more compression. You will be riding it like a 2 stroke if you go with stock bore and a little up on the compression. Trust me, I know, been there. Rebuilt mine the first time to a 406 with 11 to 1 compression, stage 2 hotcam, exhaust, msd ignition, K&N filter. Ran Great!!! Just didn't have much low end power... Two ways you get low end torque out of a 400ex, up the compression and go bigger displacement. You need to go with both, atleast 11 to 1, and atleast a 426 before you run that cam. That cam will take away power on the bottom with the last setuo you were talking about.

TRX23rider
03-09-2006, 03:04 PM
well i dont really wanna get the stage 1 are there any other cams that have more "all round" gains. ive heard that the hrc cam is pretty good where can i get one of those?

honda460ex
03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Don't really know where, but the current stage 1 Hotcam is different from the original that they first came out with. The original was a low to mid cam. The current is a pretty good all around cam supposedly. My friend "Underpowered" on here did have a pretty good all around cam that he still might have. Pretty sure it was a White Bros. Check with him too. He might be able to tell you where to get an HRC too. Me personally, go to google search and just try typing in HRC and see what comes up.

TRX23rider
03-09-2006, 04:55 PM
thanks alot man i will look into the stg 1 and the hrc!