PDA

View Full Version : first ATV/Quad purchase

davefrommd
03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I have never rode an ATV or quad before but have been thinking about buying a used or possibly new one. I am 49 and weigh about 220lbs. I live in maryland and would like to ride in some of the trails in western maryland, old logging, coal mining trails. There could be some steep hills to climb. Could someone recommend an atv for me. Will an automatic handle steep hills ok? I was thinking along the lines of a 350cc to 500cc. Should I get 4x4. Does a ATV come with a title or documents and if I buy something used like say way down in the country side how do I know if it is stolen or not. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. dave

redlineranger
03-06-2006, 05:53 PM
My dad has a Yamaha Bruin 350 2wd, and it has all the power you need. There not to expensive, have an extremely comfortable seat for a all day ride, can climb some hills, you can deffinately put them in the mud(i would suggest a tire upgrade, stockers wont get the job done in a few riding conditions), handle good, has some serious pulling power(i have pulled cars and trucks with this thing). For a couple hundred dollars more you can get the 4x4 and I would suggest it over the 2wd, but hey its up to you on what you want. So you could give those a look.

If you would like a better answer post this same thread in the Utility forum(im sure a mod will before the nights over). Hope this helps.;)

quads14589
03-06-2006, 05:58 PM
i have a 2003 honda foreman the thing has seen everyting it has about 2200 miles on it been up in upstate ny and in ct. it can almost do anything u want it to it can handle up to about 3 1/2 feet deep of mud go trew rivers. runs great and is comfertable. it holds lots of gas for them long rides. its easy to put it into 4wd. they can handle hills no prob it has lots of weight in the front end do it wont tip. and easy to keep running.:cool:

zeppelin
03-06-2006, 05:58 PM
do you have any previous experince with any other type of motorcycle. and wich type of bike do you want, a utility type, or a light perky sport type.

imo if you want a sportier quad, look into a 300ex, or if you have some motorcycle experince try the 400 either ex or ltz(same as the kfx and dvx). i wouldnt recomend any of the 450's for trails unless your a power crazy rider with alot of experince on bikes

wilkin250r
03-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by redlineranger
If you would like a better answer post this same thread in the Utility forum(im sure a mod will before the nights over). Hope this helps.;)

I'll let it go in here, since he's new.;)

Dave, it sounds like you're on the right path. At 49, you're not looking at jumping or anything, so a 4x4 (utility) is probably best for you. They're comfortable, easy to use, and have friendly power characteristics. Sport quads (like the Honda 450r) are made for going really fast and jumping. Honestly, unless you know what you're doing, they're a bit scary. I'd suggest something more friendly for you.

If you're looking at climbing the occasional hill, I'd suggest a 4 -wheel drive version. You can get a utility with only 2wd, but honestly, you'll probably regret it down the road. Do it right the first time, get 4wd, and always wear your helmet.

Rip_Tear
03-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Are you mechanically inclinded? I ask because an older machine is going to need more work most likely, espcially as you progress in riding it.

Make sure you get the title with the ATV. I'd suggest having someone with you who knows about ATV's if possible.

An automatic should be fine if thats what you'd like, it's really just depending on what you want.

Good luck with your purchase.

davefrommd
03-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for your input
I appreciate everyones help and suggestions. I don't think I would be interested in jumping or going fast. I would probably go with a 4x4. I am interested in going on some remote mountain trails. Some will probably be steep. I have never rode a 4 wheeler before. I have rode motorcycles before. What I wanted to ask is 4 wheelers do come with titles or some sort of papers. I had a chance to buy an older 4 wheeler something in the 250 range but there was no title so I didn't buy it. Thanks again. dave

AtvMxRider
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Really depends on the state. some states do and some don't.

coolex
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Really depends on the state. some states do and some don't.

250rider1
03-14-2006, 09:53 AM
i honestly think that there isnt a better 4x4 utility then the honda 400 foreman as far as go anywhere, easy to ride, and reliability of a tank. ours has about 5000 miles on it and it never has had to be worked on.

Mxjunkie
03-14-2006, 10:03 AM
For trail riding I'd take a 4x4 ute over a sport!

My dads friend has a honda rincon, that thing is like a caddy I absolutely love it. Pricey though..

you can race xc on a ute too :p

killen them all
03-14-2006, 12:59 PM
kfx 700

400exrules
03-14-2006, 01:05 PM
idk how tough the trails you want to ride are, but you wont get too far with a utility.
If you want to ride rough, tight trails with steep hills, you pretty much need a sport quad, with a decent amount of power, atleast you do on the trails i ride......but i ride on harescramble tracks