PDA

View Full Version : suspension importan " dont understand

416 racer
03-06-2006, 03:27 PM
why is it important to get suspension set up for ur wieght wat the reason for it and can works make a shock for that setup for 300 and some pound i have to go cheap cuase i dont have alot of money

underpowered
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
you want your suspension set up for your weight for many reasons. for example: if you set up a shock for a 300lb guy who races XC, it will be stiff too keep it from bottoming out on jumps and large bumps. put that same shock witha rider that only weighs 150lb and it will be very stiff and rough. the same goes vise versa, if you take a shock set up for a 150lb guy and s 300lb guy get on it on even small jumps and bumps it will likely bottom out. you also want it set up for your riding style because an A class MX rider will need a shock valved differently than a C class rider. Works should be able to set it up for your weight and riding style easily.

400exMO
03-06-2006, 05:14 PM
It'll match you and your bike with the correct valves. Exactly what he said^^

416 racer
03-06-2006, 05:32 PM
well im wanting to get works or elka i wanting the elka recationla shock or the works g series for my quad and i dont want bottoming my rear shock has held me up for 3 years now and its the stocker but the fronts are allmost whore out

400exMO
03-07-2006, 06:55 AM
You might want to get your rear rebuilt. Send it to GT Thunder, have him revalve it. Also I'd suggest the elkas.

03-07-2006, 07:52 AM
elkas are better quality than works. they use better components.

have gt thunder revalve you rear shock and get his rear linkage...you will be surprised that you were even able to ride the bike without them...

underpowered
03-07-2006, 08:23 AM
i would say go with the elka's. and laz at GT thunder will sell you his linkage with a rear shock revalve for 265 +shipping give or take a little. you can have a great suspension set up for under a $1000.

insaneracin2003
03-07-2006, 02:30 PM
dont meen to steal the thread,but i had my stock shock rebuilt and revalved with elka ssd.my question is,what is the difference between the stock linkage and an aftermarket one?

underpowered
03-07-2006, 02:36 PM
the difference is the leverage ratio. it allows for a smoother operation of the travel and also changes a few things. it lowers the ride heigth by about 1", and adds some travel as well.

armysig
03-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
the difference is the leverage ratio. it allows for a smoother operation of the travel and also changes a few things. it lowers the ride heigth by about 1", and adds some travel as well.

Is this why sometimes when I hit a jump wrong it seems like I get bucked from my rear shock? Some times it's as smooth as butter and others it feels like i'm on a bull in a rodeo.

If I do my rear shock, should I do a revalve or revalve and spring. I'm about 250Lbs right now, but I'm losing weight pretty fast.

03-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by armysig
Is this why sometimes when I hit a jump wrong it seems like I get bucked from my rear shock? Some times it's as smooth as butter and others it feels like i'm on a bull in a rodeo.

If I do my rear shock, should I do a revalve or revalve and spring. I'm about 250Lbs right now, but I'm losing weight pretty fast.

that is what you are feeling when it bucks...the buck almost completely disappears with his linkage

i think over 230 needs a new spring, but i am not sure...the spring adds a little to the cost...not a whole lot though...it would be worth it

03-07-2006, 04:19 PM
how do you adjust the front suspension??? its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to stiff for me, im about 150-160 lbs

416 racer
03-07-2006, 05:34 PM
hey to the guy losing weight how ar u losing wieght i mean im a big guy and im a fotball player to im in high school but if u were to look at my u would think im only 250 well and the pther qustion is is it posiible to get a shocked valve at 330 or more

416 racer
03-09-2006, 02:21 PM
well can i get valved for 290 and valve it on the stif side can i do that

400exrules
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
how do i know if i need to get my rear shock revalved? ive never ridden an aftermarket suspension so i have nothing to compare it to

underpowered
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
if your shock is stock, never been revalved it shoud be done. you will notice a big change and wonder how you ever rode it stock.

armysig
03-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by 416 racer
hey to the guy losing weight how ar u losing wieght i mean im a big guy and im a fotball player to im in high school but if u were to look at my u would think im only 250 well and the pther qustion is is it posiible to get a shocked valve at 330 or more

I went out and bought an eliptical machine about 4 weeks ago. I use it 5 times a week, at least 30 minutes each workout.
I have also just cut down on how much I eat. It sucks, believe me I want to eat that huge arse 16oz steak and all the goodies with it. But now i figure I can't do that any more.
I try to eat a little less carbs, but that's my one vice right now. I love my pasta and breads. Again, I'm eating a little less.
All I can say is work out at least 5 times a week and eat a little less.

416 racer
03-09-2006, 03:30 PM
thanks and is it posibl to get after market front shocks valved at 330 pounds

underpowered
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 416 racer
thanks and is it posibl to get after market front shocks valved at 330 pounds

your best bet is go to www.gtthunder.com and send laz an e-mail and ask him, he knows more aobut it than we do.