View Full Version : Radiator Ice ?? Good or bad ??

mox007edinboro
03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I've been looking around on the forum and occasionaly see people make comments about using a product called Radiator Ice, I think that's what it's called ... anyways, I was just curious what this product was, besides the obvious... and whether or not it really made a difference and where you can buy it ? Thanks in advance...

Tom TRX250R
03-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Its actually called Engine Ice, and yeah it works great. It has kept my R perfect temp. even on the hottest days at the dunes. I have been using it for a few years now with great results. The only problem is it does not have an antifreeze agent in it so it will freeze if stored outside under freezing temperature so be careful if you don't store your R in a climate controlled environment.

wilkin250r
03-06-2006, 06:16 PM
There are several different varieties and brands. Engine Ice, Water Wetter, ect. They all do basically the same thing.

Let me give you a little tutorial.

Antifreeze is a killer of heat transfer. If you ran just pure water, your radiator would run about 5-10 degrees cooler.

However, you CAN'T run pure water. It will corrode. Really bad. Antifreeze has two main purposes, the first is protection from freezing, the second is protection from corrosion. It's got a host of corrosion-inhibitors in it.

However, pure water also has it's own share of problems. It has a lot of surface tension, and if you could reduce or eliminate that surface tension, you could reduce tempuratures even further, because you get better heat transfer.

This is where products like Engine Ice and Water Wetter come in. They improve the thermal efficiency of water to reduce tempuratures another 5-10 degrees, AND it has corrosion inhibitors. Running water and engine ice will reduce your temps by about 15 degrees.

However, engine ice does not have anti-freeze properties. If your quad is going to be exposed to freezing temperatures, you MUST use anti-freeze, and expect temps to rise a bit when you do. I believe both Water Wetter and Engine Ice are compatable with anti-freeze to give you the best of both worlds. Water/Antifreeze/Engine Ice combination will run about 5-7 degrees cooler than Water/Antifreeze alone.

onebadr
03-06-2006, 06:40 PM
awsome answere !