PDA

View Full Version : Maier Plastics???

YFZRob
03-06-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm considering buying some Maier plastics in Fighting Red (what I was told was the similar factory Honda red) for my 88 so I may preserve the factory plastics and actually enjoy riding my 250R. BUT, you have to retain your factory headlight hood on the 88/89 if you want the factory like color, fighting red. The lady on the phone at maier claims the stock headlight hood will fit the Maier front fenders, but I'm a little skeptical.

In comparison to OEM, how nice is the Maer stuff? Is it a near mirror image in fitment to the stock plastics? Can anyone confirm how close "fighting red" is to the factory honda color?

What concerns me is the factory plastics have a slight downward turn to them in the very front where the headlight hood attaches. The maier photo doesn't look like their plastics have this same downward turn.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm planning on buying all new OEM 88 decals for the Maier stuff.....when it's all said and done, will it look like a factory OEM 250R, or no?

Thanks!

edz250r
03-06-2006, 11:57 AM
I replaced my OEM plastics with white Maier on my 89 R, but I replaced the hood with a Maier hood. With the Maiers that I received, the OEM hood would NOT work since the hood has I believe four "hooks" would slide into slots on the fenders. My Maiers did not have the slots, so I couldnt use my OEM hood if I wanted to. Maybe the Red that Maier uses is made specially for OEM hoods and includes the slots for the hood to attach onto? Thats what you need to ask them....

YFZRob
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, maybe the 89 is different? The stock fenders on the 88 has one pair of slots in the middle and two pairs of flat holes for the retaining clips to go over which the screws attach to from the fender side, on the front and back. The Maier's have this middle slot and the four holes front and back.... Maier (http://www.maier-mfg.com/shop.cfm?Product_ID=11720&page=details.cfm&cartaction=none&thisrow=4&action=list&criteria=101&startrow=1&mystartrow=1&maxrows=10&cat=&man=&stay=&afid=&searchcat_id=&itemprice=&searchfield=&searchman_id=&boolean=&var1=&var2=&var3=&makeid=10&modelid=166&modelyear=)

Man....this isn't an easy decision. I'd hate to have to return the plastics if they don't fit....that's not going to be cheap return shipping.

edz250r
03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
You're right...mine had a pair of slots and the other pairs of holes for the clips. Its been a couple years, so I'm glad you refreshed my memory!

I can see the slots in the link for the fenders. Mine didn't come with the slots, so maybe they changed the fenders or the pair I ordered were strictly for use with an aftermarket hood. I think you will be in good shape if you receive the same fenders that are in that pic. good luck...

snapon
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I have an 89 R w\maier black plastics and for a while I ran the 88 hood w\light and it mounted perfectly.

wilkin250r
03-06-2006, 12:49 PM
I'd forget the hood. In fact, I'd forget the stock headlight.

My (personal) choice would be the one-piece racing front, matching rears, and Trail-Tech lights. If you're trying to save your stock plastics, you'd really kick yourself if you broke the stock hood.

YFZRob
03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Cool! Looks like I'll be safe.

I'm too infatuated with the factory look, decals and all, to lose the crappy stock headlight. I was going to buy a new factory hood from Service honda when I ordered the graphics....only $60 or so, just to ensure it matched the Maier stuff as close as possible.

Does anyone know if there's any aftermarket suppliers of the OEM decals? Hood number plate, rear fender number plates and the 250R decals? I thought I saw a website at some point with the graphics.

Thanks!

Tom TRX250R
03-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Check Ebay, there is always several people selling the 88 replica decals.

Rich250RRacer
03-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by YFZRob
Well, maybe the 89 is different? The stock fenders on the 88 has one pair of slots in the middle and two pairs of flat holes for the retaining clips to go over which the screws attach to from the fender side, on the front and back. The Maier's have this middle slot and the four holes front and back.... Maier (http://www.maier-mfg.com/shop.cfm?Product_ID=11720&page=details.cfm&cartaction=none&thisrow=4&action=list&criteria=101&startrow=1&mystartrow=1&maxrows=10&cat=&man=&stay=&afid=&searchcat_id=&itemprice=&searchfield=&searchman_id=&boolean=&var1=&var2=&var3=&makeid=10&modelid=166&modelyear=)

Man....this isn't an easy decision. I'd hate to have to return the plastics if they don't fit....that's not going to be cheap return shipping.

88 and 89 plastic are identical except color, in fact ORIGINAL 86 and 87 (which is not available anymore) is will interchange also, the only difference is the slots for the 88-89 style hood. The bigger difference is in the rear, 88-89 is a direct bolt-on for 86-87 models, but to use older 86-87 (again if you could even find it) on a newer model, some cutting would be required for front seat mount.

YFZRob
03-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know for sure which color is the replica red to the OE 88 honda red? It's either fighting red or red. Here's the color chart...

http://www.maier-mfg.com/color-chart.html

Fighting red looks closest, but those little squares are probably far from accurate to what it really looks like in person. As much as fighting red looking closest, it's hard to believe that's the case since they don't make the stock style hood in fighting red, only regular red.

Thanks!