PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Flywheel off

250-R-250
03-06-2006, 08:17 AM
So I finally got the damn bolt off. Now, I need to figure out how to get the flywheel off. I know there is a tool. Does it just pull straight off the shaft or is it threaded? Can I get it off without the tool or do I really need one.
Thanks

Tom TRX250R
03-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Look on ebay under 250r flywheel puller, its only like 12 bucks and well worth it. You will damage your flywheel trying to get it off without it.

elbine69
03-06-2006, 10:05 AM
you need the tool to do it right or else youll end up breaking something

250-R-250
03-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Ok, I ll get the tool, but, how does it come off? Threaded or just slid on the shaft?

wilkin250r
03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
What happens when you put a nut onto a bolt? It just twists on, right?

But what happens if you hold the nut still, and twist the bolt? The bolt moves back and forth inside the nut. That bolt moving back and forth can be used to push and pull things.

The 250r flywheel puller has two parts. The first part threads into the flywheel, and is the part that holds on to the flywheel and "pulls".

The second part threads inside the first, like threading a nut into a bolt. It goes all the way through at pushes against the end of the crank.

So, you hold the outer part still with a wrench, and twist the inside part with another wrench. Just like the bolt in the example above moves back and forth, the inside part of the flywheel puller moves and pushed against the end of the crank, and pops the flywheel off.

wilkin250r
03-06-2006, 02:07 PM
The flywheel is just pressed on to the end of the crank. It's at a very specific location, and you'll see a "key" when you pull the flywheel off. That key fits into a slot on the crank, and a slot on the flywheel, to keep the flywheel in a specific spot.

That key is half of your ignition timing, the other half takes place inside the CDI.

250-R-250
03-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Wilkin thanks alot for your help. I understand how it works now. I ll order one now, I guess the motor will have to wait a week:(