PDA

View Full Version : high compression stock bore?

10-02-2001, 04:58 PM
anyone know how high you can go with a stock bore piston from JE? Is it possible to get a 12:1 stock bore piston? and if so how would the piston when combined with a gt cam compare to a 416 running a 10.8:1 with a xr cam? anyone have any idea? im trying to decide on what to do with my motor this winter. id really like to put in a high comp stock bore piston with the most aggressive cam i can find that doesn't require getting hard faced rockers or anything. i just cant bring myself to get a perfectly good cylinder bored out. after all its not even a year old.

Leo
10-02-2001, 07:04 PM
as far as I know, you can only get the stock bore JE piston in 10.5-1 but you might want to double check with Terry on that one (marcums ATV) I know he carries JE pistons.

Leo

10-02-2001, 08:28 PM
GO TO GT THUNDER. THEY HAVE THE STOCK BORE IN ANY COPRESSION RATIO YOU WANT. I'M RUNNING A 12.5 STOCK BORE PISTON AND GT THUNDER CAM AND IT IS KILLER ON TOP AND MID. I DIDN'T WANT TO BORE MINE EITHER BECAUST IT WAS ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD SO I WENT WITH THE STOCK BORE AND HAVE NO REGRETS. WITH THE MOTOR WORK AND E SERIES SLIP ON IT WILL BEAT A STOCK RAPTOR IN THE 1/8TH MILE.

Leo
10-03-2001, 05:15 AM
they have a stock bore JE in 12:5.1 ? or is it another brand piston?

Leo

10-03-2001, 11:12 AM
THEY ARE JE PISTONS SPECIALLY MADE FOR GT THUNDER AND SPARKS RACING FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND.

10-03-2001, 02:35 PM
thats great news. just what i was hoping to hear. i've been pondering that question for awhile now and it sounds like what i'll be going with in a month or two. can u get away with 93 octane mixed with octane boost? or would it be strictly race'n gas

10-03-2001, 03:26 PM
I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THAT I RUN CAM II 114 RACE GAS.:devil

10-03-2001, 03:31 PM
its just a thought but anyways theres a gas station in town that sells cam2 BUT only during racing season. they sell it because theres a local dirt track close by and i dont know what i'd do for gas during the off season.

RideRed04
10-03-2001, 04:41 PM
Keep in mind that the compression ratio's (on the JE anyway) are measured for an xr400. For the ex, just lower the compression .2, or get xr gaskets when you put it back together.

10-03-2001, 06:32 PM
so does anyone know how a high comp stock bore compares to a 416 or other big bore kits? alot of people say that your cam and compression has more to do with the power of the machine than just the over bore itself. anyone have any actual experience with this? if thats a true statement then could a 12.5:1 JE stock bore with a GT cam beat a 416 or 440 with a lower compression and less aggressive cam in a drag race? any thoughts or opinions would be aprechiated. and is the cam that GT Thunder makes the most aggressive cam that doesnt require hard faced rockers?