PDA

View Full Version : Stiff steering

Mailman77327
07-21-2002, 08:47 AM
Hello...I just got my Houser +3 a-arms and Elka long travel shocks installed...
and now my steering seems quite stiff.
I have my steering stabilizer on light but it seems quite stiff to me.
Is this normal?
The guy who put them on said it might be the ball joints needing some break-in.
Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks in Advance.
Chris:p

JhallettEX
07-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Grease your steering stem bushing, it will help alot.

07-21-2002, 10:20 PM
There is going to be a diff in the amount of pressure or strength needed to turn the wheels since the quad now has more traction in the front due to the added width, so make sure the steering bearings are in good condition and greased right.

You could also change the resistance or front end set up with diff offset wheels etc.

Mailman77327
07-22-2002, 06:07 AM
Great...now..
How hard is it to get the stem off and grease the bearing?
Will I have to take the plastic off?
Is it very difficult?
Any info or links to picts. is appreciated.
:)

07-22-2002, 07:49 PM
Take it easy since its not too hard.

It is easier if you take off the front plastic but you dont have to. The bearing (on a 400ex) is just below where the cables go under the front plastic. Take out the 2 bolts and clean up the rubber type bearing, grease it and put it back together.

Smoker
07-22-2002, 08:35 PM
My Housers had stiff steering, they are just breaking in still. I was surprised how long it took to loosen up but that's a good thing. Greasing the stem will help but I don't think it's the problem. IMO :p

07-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Greasing the stem will help but I don't think it's the problem. IMO

Agreed :)

Lorduss
07-23-2002, 11:15 PM
"There is going to be a diff in the amount of pressure or strength needed to turn the wheels since the quad now has more traction in the front due to the added width, so make sure the steering bearings are in good condition and greased right."

Ummm What? why do you think that?

He has Wider arms, NOT tires, you can make your arms 50 feet wide, there well be no change in resistance to turning, change the width of the tires and you do.

the bike has more traction in a turn, not anywhere else realy.

07-24-2002, 01:42 PM
And it depends a lot on the caster and camber settings also.

JabberJaw
07-24-2002, 01:50 PM
I get stiff everytime I go riding...and sometimes just thinking about riding gets me stiff.