PDA

View Full Version : new cam new piston? how much work?

quader400
03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
i was thinking about getting a 416 piston and HRC cam. for the 416 does it have to be bored or is it just a new sleeve? also where would the cheapest place be to get these? thanks

EXSailor
03-06-2006, 11:58 AM
I just got done installing a JE 10.5:1 416 kit in my quad, I had a local machine shop bore and hone the stock sleeve, and that cost me $25. I got the piston from C&D for about $110 I think. I already had a hotcam stage two in, but I have to warn you, I actually was not very impressed with the outcome. I think you might be happier with a 426 kit, in which you really should re-sleeve it. As far as the work, I have basic mechanic skills and I did all the work myself with the help of a maintenance manual. Good Luck

TRX23rider
03-06-2006, 02:30 PM
im gettin pretty much the same thing done to my engine. im gonna call up my dealer and see how much they will do it for. i dont trust myself to doit my self so im shopping around for someone to do it for me to.

quader400
03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
so for the 426 you dont have to bore just resleeve?

EXSailor
03-06-2006, 03:41 PM
from the research I did before I upgraded to the 416, I found that you could bore the stock sleeve to fit an 88mm piston (426), but the sleeve wall would become thin enough to cause the potential for engine failure, so I would'nt recommend boring the sleeve. The machine shop that did my bore was a little concerned about how thin the wall would be to fit 87mm, but they said there shouldn't be a problem as long as the motor stayed cool. it's a little pricier to get a new sleeve, but worth it if you would have to replace the motor after failure. You will however have to bore the cylinder to accomodate the larger sleeve, but any good machine shop can handle that without a problem.

cals400ex
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
the easiest thing to do will be to buy a 406 or 416 and get your stock cylinder bored out. with the new sleeve they will still need to machine that sleeve so it fits your piston. also, the old sleeve will need to be removed and your cylinder will need bored so your new, larger sleeve can fit in it. get an owners manual for sure. i say its pretty easy job. i do all the work myself besides the machine work.

jordan_m6
03-06-2006, 08:50 PM
It took me one day to tear down and rebuild when i put my cam and piston in.

prepracing
03-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Yes a 426 bore on a stock cylinder has thin cylinder walls and may run a little warmer but not that much ( its not like were talkin a 350 big block here ). I have ran mine for 3 years now this working on the 4th with a 426 bore on a stock cylinder and have not had the 1st problem ( knock on wood ) I race 4 or 5 GNCC a year and a few midsouth races, also regular weekend trail riding. I have an oversize oiltank and airshrouds to get a little more airflow to the oil cooler and thats it. I have had it down one time to hone the cylinder and put in new rings. Now if you were gonna be running MX or TT races everyweekend along with practicing running that motor at high RPMS constantly you would have a short engine life. But for the people that race a few times a year and trail ride there should be no problems as long as you maintain your quad well. Like clean airfilter and oil changes. As for your question I'm not even sure if you can by an oversize sleeve for a 416, I know you can buy one for the 426. Go to the C & D racing section or give them a call, I have seen cheap price quotes from them on 416 kits with cam and they could tell you if a sleeve is an option for a 416.