PDA

View Full Version : what is wrong with my quad?

quadracer44
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I have a 98 yamaha warrior and i recently just got it put it back together i had a new piston and rings put in. It rode fine for about 3 weeks but now it wont start. I was told it was the starter not cranking over the motor but i had had the starter checked and it was kicking in fine. What Could it be. When you start it the motor does not turn over and it makes a whining sound. Could it be the timing? Any help would be appreciated.

vdubaker
03-05-2006, 08:13 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: have you checked the fly wheel

4TraxRider
03-05-2006, 08:15 PM
So the starter is making noise but the engine isn't turning over right? In that case, the starter gear isn't hitting the teeth to start the motor. Try tapping the starter with the plastic end of a screw driver and see if it engages or not. otherwise you'll probably need a new starter.

quadracer44
03-06-2006, 06:29 AM
thanks for the help guys.

quadracer44
03-06-2006, 04:42 PM
My four wheeler finally started cranking over and started after we held the start button for 2 or 3 minutes. IS it possible that it is still the starter or is it the flywheel?

NacsMXer
03-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by vdubaker
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: have you checked the fly wheel

What makes you say that NOOB?? Back up your claim with facts please..

quadracer44,
If the starter is making a whizzing sound and you said it just started working, then it could be the starter clutch inside the starter itself. Sometimes they need to be rebuilt after time and use.

1st thing I would do is unbolt the starter to see if the gears are still good where it connects to the motor. If those look good and nothing is stripped, then you either need a new starter or need to take it apart and rebuild it.

jordan_m6
03-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
What makes you say that NOOB?? Back up your claim with facts please..

quadracer44,
If the starter is making a whizzing sound and you said it just started working, then it could be the starter clutch inside the starter itself. Sometimes they need to be rebuilt after time and use.

1st thing I would do is unbolt the starter to see if the gears are still good where it connects to the motor. If those look good and nothing is stripped, then you either need a new starter or need to take it apart and rebuild it.

uuhhh!!! he also said he had the starter checked and it was kicking in fine.

but i would agree with you if the starter is working. and not cranking the motor under load than it has to do with the starter or the teeth.

DieselBoy
03-06-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
So the starter is making noise but the engine isn't turning over right? In that case, the starter gear isn't hitting the teeth to start the motor. Try tapping the starter with the plastic end of a screw driver and see if it engages or not. otherwise you'll probably need a new starter.

new starter? phuck that noise. if it's turning over really slow the engine isn't going to start. charge battery, clean terminals, if the start is cranking slow - rebuild your starter (new brushes) for 50.00 (if that) a new starter's a couple HUNDRED dollars.

EDIT:
It sounds like the starter is not engaging to the crank gear. Starter mechanism is damaged I presume. Hard to diagnose without hearing.

NacsMXer
03-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by jordan_m6
uuhhh!!! he also said he had the starter checked and it was kicking in fine.

I missed that part, thanks for pointing it out. Often a bad starter clutch within the starter itself will sometimes slip and make a spinning/whizzing sound, and then the next second it will catch and turn the motor over. Either way, if it no longer does that, and it is fine, then leave it alone. If it keeps doing that, then I would reccommend rebuilding the starter like I said.

My starter on my 400 used to have the same symptoms described above. It was ok for a while, but eventually it went, and needed replacing.

honda460ex
03-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Come on guys! Stop talking about stuff you know nothing about! Poor guy has all sorts of thoughts running through his head now and not a one of you did him a bit of good! It is DEFINATELY your STARTER CLUTCH..... For all you smart people out there, the STARTER CLUTCH IS NOT IN THE STARTER...... IT IS INSIDE THE FLYWHEEL. YOU NEED A FLYWHEEL PULLER TO REMOVE IT AND THEN YOU WILL SEE IT. IT LITERALLY SITS INSIDE THE BACK OF THE FLYWHEEL. WHEN YOU HEAR THAT WINING SOUND IT MEANS THE STARTER IS WORKING. THE PROBLEM IS THE STARTER CLUTCH WILL NOT GRAB THE CRANK LIKE IT SHOULD AND TURN THE CRANK OVER. ALL OF THE GEARS WILL BE TURNING AND WORKING FINE. STARTER CLUTCHES WILL OCCASIONALY WORK AND NOT WORK IF THEY ARE GOING BAD. IT BECOMES A HIT AND MISS TO IF IT WILL TURN THE MOTOR OVER OR NOT. I hope that helps you, and I hope the smart people out there with all there wealth of knowledge will get their facts straight before they try to help anyone else.... Thanks all and have a good day.