PDA

View Full Version : Brokeback DVX

northwest Texas
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
My brother in law's DVX has now been broken twice now. The problem he is having is the compartment the battery fits breaks apart from the rest of the plastics. This afternoon he lost the entire compartment of which we found as well as the battery. This was on the second or third (I can't remember now) ride on the new fenders since the last set broke.

I knew when he reinstalled them I should have fabricated him a strap the battery would sit on and take the weight of the plastics but I didn't. I didn't think they'd break this quick either.

So, he's wondering if anyone else out there is having this same problem (plastics breaking) or is his an isolated experience? I can't say he's too rough on it because I know how he rides and ........... I can't say it's abuse by any means.

Any of you with Z's and KFX's experiencing the same problem?

HondaRacer300ex
03-05-2006, 07:58 PM
No problems here..if it's that bad, get a Walsh aluminum battery box.

there 200 but every ride is rediculous!

northwest Texas
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
The way it broke out from his fenders was about the best case scenario. I can build him one for next to nothing and we'll go that route first. I think the plastics on the DVX are awfully thin to begin with and there's nothing to hold the battery from moving. We did stuff some cardboard (temporary but didn't realize how temporary that would be) in there to keep it from moving. I think the battery comes up a little each time he leaves the ground and when it falls, it's like a hammer and nail.

HondaRacer300ex
03-05-2006, 08:18 PM
You could always get z/kfx plastics. They mount up i believe.

northwest Texas
03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
I told him that. (grin) He bought the DVX because he liked the plastics better and I do too but.............they're certainly not being good to him.

YFZ450Ridr
03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacer300ex
You could always get z/kfx plastics. They mount up i believe.

the sub frames are a little different i think, but it could probablly work.

any way, ive never ever herd of the battery falling out like that :ermm:

DVXchic
03-06-2006, 06:05 PM
The frame in my bike is from a zuk, and the plastics mounted up fine.
This is the first i have heard of this happening, I have had 2 DVXs and never a problem. The only probem i have had is the seat coming off while riding.
Its a good thing the plastics are cheap:D

DVX440
03-07-2006, 01:12 PM
I never had the problem with the battery box breaking out... but the subframes are the same, b/c I just put Laker custom plastics on mine, and I have had a set of KFX and Z plastics on it too. You just need the different seat.

MoToX199
03-07-2006, 01:30 PM
same heer i have never heard of that happening also,i have had zero problems with my dvx,the only problem i have had so far is that i broke the lil plastic piece that comes down from the plstic itself and that connects to the metal bracket,other then that i had no problems,haha thank god the plastics are only 30 bux replace

northwest Texas
03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I took some pics of the "accident" and will post them when I get back home next week.

I think the main problem is neither set of plastics, the origional and the replacments that just broke, didn't have the bumper pads and that allowed the battery to move just enough to put undue stress causing the plastic to eventually break.

The DVX doesn't have the bracket across the top like the Z does and that, I'm sure, doesn't help being gone.

I don't know, what do you all think?

DVX440
03-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Get a piece of 18 guage sheet metal and mold it to the bottom of the battery box, then come up both outer walls and then make your 90 degree bend across the top and bolt it down with the 10 millimeter bolts that hold the plastics down... if you can make sense of that? I can picture it in my head, but getting it into words is different. But that should take the weight of the battery off the plastics.

GoFastCat
03-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by northwest Texas
I took some pics of the "accident" and will post them when I get back home next week.

I think the main problem is neither set of plastics, the origional and the replacments that just broke, didn't have the bumper pads and that allowed the battery to move just enough to put undue stress causing the plastic to eventually break.

The DVX doesn't have the bracket across the top like the Z does and that, I'm sure, doesn't help being gone.

I don't know, what do you all think?

My '04 DVX has the bracket that goes across the top of the battery to hold it down. Its the only thing that holds the back of the plastic down also. Maybe this is the reason for your brother in law's problem with the battery compartment breaking :confused:

shorgasm
03-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Yup, my 04 DVX has a metal strap to hold the battery down too..You should get one...lol....Mine did come loose once but nothing happened.

northwest Texas
03-16-2006, 07:46 PM
I guess when he bought it (it was a demo) someone for some reason removed the bolts holding the bracket across the battery. I think the plastics had been replaced because I couldn't see where there had ever been a bolt on his plastic.

Anyways, we've got it figured out I guess. Now if I can just build him a battery box for the time being.

Do I have to use a photo hosting site or can I just find the photo's on my computer for you guys to see?