PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me hone in my jumpin' skillz?

07-20-2002, 09:34 PM
'sup guys. i just got my 300ex and i love it. i took it down to my local track and everytime i ride over one of the big hits, the quad almost always nosedives...sometimes severly to the point where i almost go over the bars once i land. some people say it's because i let off the throttle on the face, but i'm afraid of the quad comin' out from under me and flipping backwards if i hold it all the way up. if anyone could help, i'd be greatly appreciated. help a fellow rider out fellas.

user101
07-20-2002, 09:50 PM
the quad aint gonna come out from under u. just hold a steady throttle all the way up the jump. u must be "one with the quad" when u start jumpin.

07-20-2002, 09:52 PM
dont go fast where u have to let off just go up to it and maintain ur balance and hold on the gas up the face u dont have to pin it just dont let the motor bog then straighten it out int he air wit finess but it should fly level..

Derek
07-20-2002, 09:57 PM
Always always always keep on the gas. If you let off the gas at the face of the jump its gonna nosedive just like what is happening to you. Dont worry about it flipping out from underneath you because it wont. I'd say just go off the little jumps like the one in the picture until you learn. But if you go off a bigger jump and let off the gas on the face you are gonna get seriously hurt. Practice is the key.

Juggalo
07-20-2002, 10:21 PM
yeah man you already know what your problem is you just have to overcome your fear and be on the gas as your leave the lip.

Nausty
07-20-2002, 10:56 PM
yah man or your not ready for the jumps your doin in the first place. never let off on the face of a lip on a 4 stroke unless you know what your doing and want it to nose dive.

airheadedduner
07-20-2002, 11:31 PM
keep your body in a nuatral position unless you know different on a spacific jump. ride with people with more experience and don't be afraid to ask the big racers questions. trial and error will be a big part of your learning.

2K1 300EX
08-08-2002, 12:21 AM
Find the gear you are comfortable in, not one that you speed up to the jump then let off the gas because you reached the speed you want...keep a steady throttle. Good Luck.

When in doubt, gas it!

derekhonda
08-08-2002, 11:48 AM
Also....once you are in the air

To bring your front up (if you nosedive) lay on the throttle

To bring your front end down (if your back end is a little lower) stomp on the rear brake

JabberJaw
08-08-2002, 12:17 PM
This is what can happen:

08-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda

To bring your front end down (if your back end is a little lower) stomp on the rear brake

Ya might wanna pull in the clutch before you do this though..:D That is if you plan on stayin on the bike..:blah

400exRacerX
08-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Rico

Ya might wanna pull in the clutch before you do this though..:D That is if you plan on stayin on the bike..:blah

LOL its funny you mention that Rico. because i would have.

All I have to say is "Been there, Done that":eek:

08-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Chris29's been there and done that too...I knew better before I tried it for the first time.....

PS..guys the throttle and break thing in the air normally only works if your getting decent air,,,small jumps forget it,,your not airborne long enough for it to work.. Once you get good to jumping you learn to hit jumps with at least 1 or 2 fingers on the clutch. Heck I leave a finger on the clutch at all times..

400exRacerX
08-08-2002, 12:39 PM
Yeah I would have to say you gotta be atleast 10ft in the air for it to give you enough time for the bike to shift.

The first time I did I was in a panic on a 45foot double. My rear end was falling and falling fast so I slammed on the rear brakes and stalled the bike in mid air. But I was smart enough to pull it the clutch before I landed.;)

oj250r
08-08-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by evobikes
'sup guys. i just got my 300ex and i love it. i took it down to my local track and everytime i ride over one of the big hits, the quad almost always nosedives...sometimes severly to the point where i almost go over the bars once i land. some people say it's because i let off the throttle on the face, but i'm afraid of the quad comin' out from under me and flipping backwards if i hold it all the way up. if anyone could help, i'd be greatly appreciated. help a fellow rider out fellas.

i have the same problem with my q-racer but i aint scared to do a jump..i hold the gas all the way till i get in to the air,,but the nose still comes down..if i lean back or pull the handle bars back while im in the air will fix the problem?????:huh

roostin_dale
08-08-2002, 09:40 PM
When your on the face of the jump never let off so much that it bogs down! Then you'll go about 5 feet and nose plant! hehe..ive done it before

TC17
08-11-2002, 07:01 PM
when i jump i pin it right at the top, pull up, and rev it in the air. if that doesnt work, try to push down in the middle of the jump and pull up at the top of the jump(basically compressing the shoocks). if that doesnt work, lean back. if that doesnt work there's not a lot more you can do. i hope it works for you.