PDA

View Full Version : Computer is So Unstable!!

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Ok, is there anything I could do to make my computer run more...smoothly? It Lags and glitches so bad sometimes! I cleaned out all the temp files and whatnot, and I just Defragged the C drive, and im currently doing the D drive. After the D Drive Defrag, will it run somewhat smoother, because most of my programs are on my D Drive??

Drive------Capacity------Free Space
C..............15.63GB.........5.87GB
D...............22.64GB........6.54GB

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 12:44 PM
D Drive...

03-05-2006, 12:54 PM
start, programs, accecories, system tools, disk clean up.

clean it that way, should make it run 10x better.

what do you have on your computer? what programs...?

i also suggest that you go to your control panel and go to the add or remove programs section and clean out all the programs you dont use...

you should also buy Webroot Spysweeper. Its a great tool, its not that much $ and you can time it so it cleans your computer everyday at like 2am or 3am or whatever time you want...

antman
03-05-2006, 12:57 PM
sometimes if you are running too many programs at the asme time it will do that but to sole the prob you could get com sore memory

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Alot of times it will get real glitchy even if Im running a P2P program and mozilla! Thats just horrible in my book!

I just got Pinnacle Studio and It will barely let me use that, because it says it needs more virtual memory!

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Go to my computer: right click on it and select properties

Click the advanced tab on the top: under performance, click "settings" button

Click the advanced tab at the top of the window that just opened..

Under Virtual Memory click "change" button..

Select the "custom size bullet" and make the initial MB size, and the Maximum MB size exactly TWICE as much as what is "reccommended" on the bottom. Click the "set" button to finish.

What you just did is increased your paging file size for your virtual memory. This will decrease the lag in your "at hand" real time tasks :)

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 02:20 PM
So am i going to put 332 in both of the custom feilds...??

03-05-2006, 02:28 PM
yeah i know what u did...u downloaded bearshare...

get rid of it!!!!!! get kazaa lite...hastle free. even if u think bearshare is hastle free, its buggin up ur computer and taking up a lot of memory i bet

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Kazaa crashed my computer last time I had it, Is kazaa lite any different then the original??

03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
yup a lot better, faster and trust me, no viruses. i would know ;)

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ShiftFMX
So am i going to put 332 in both of the custom feilds...??

Yup...you got it ;)

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by quad&dirtbike
yup a lot better, faster and trust me, no viruses. i would know ;)

Is it actually associated with Kazaa? cause I cant find it on their website, and when I go to www.kazaa-lite.net it doesnt look anything like the original

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I used to use Kazaa lite back in the day, but to tell you the truth, it wasn't all that great in returning search results and I got a couple viruses from it.

What I use is Ares and Limewire

Whatever Ares can't find, Limewire will most of the time. I like to use Ares usually because Limewire slows my comp down when it is running.

Limewire is awesome though for finding rare and older songs.

Those two P2P programs will get you just about whatever you need.

Don't waste your time with kazaa, bearshare, and all that other stuff.

Always be aware of the filesize of the file you are downloading to avoid viruses. For example watch out for zip files or other ones that are like 134.4 MB, this is a primary indicator of a virus. I learned the hard way on that one. Just make sure the song you are downloading has a similar filesize to the other ones listed in a search result.

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Is it normal for a defrag session on one drive to take more than 7 hours??? lol this is starting to make me mad

400exrules
03-05-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer

Select the "custom size bullet" and make the initial MB size, and the Maximum MB size exactly TWICE as much as what is "reccommended" on the bottom. Click the "set" button to finish.

What you just did is increased your paging file size for your virtual memory. This will decrease the lag in your "at hand" real time tasks :)

whoah, i just did that and my computer is a lot quicker now, what did that do?

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 03:10 PM
with ares and limewire, can you dl software??

and of the 2 which do you ultimately like better?

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 03:32 PM
with ares and limewire, can you dl software??

and of the 2 which do you ultimately like better?

Yes, both you can download pretty much everything including software. When it comes down to it, Limewire always returns more results. However, it slows the computer down when running like I said.

I like Ares better for general ease of use and organization. The file library that stores all of your songs, programs, etc is very well laid out and easy to navigate compared to Limewire. You can also make playlists with Ares and you cannot with Limewire. Limewire will only play a single song and play it from start to finish, you can't drag a progress bar in the song like you can in Ares.

So I use Ares the majority of the time (finds all the popular songs and programs no problem). But when I need to find something rare that just isn't turning up in Ares, I use Limewire and it finds it.

Both have the positives and negatives, that's why I use both. Limewire just finds what Ares can't, and usually has much faster download speeds.

I highly recommend using both in conjunction like I do if your computer has enough memory. Ares takes up 7.32 MB and Limewire takes up 19.36 MB. You can see why my computer runs slower when Limewire is running. When I use it, I just download what I need and then exit the program and I don't have any problems.

omaits
03-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Try this...

1) Click Start
2) Click Run
3) Type msconfig and hit enter
4) Click the startup tab at the top
5) Go through the list and disable all the programs you dont need to startup. You can usually click disable all (this will disable all programs at startup. the only thing you really need at this time is anti-virus so I woudl suggest leaving this checked)
6) restart your computer

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
whoah, i just did that and my computer is a lot quicker now, what did that do?

Basically put, that just increased your computer's "short-term memory" capacity (what it is processing right now as you work). Windows is not good at managing this on its own. By increasing the capacity like you just did, you gave the computer more resources to get tasks done faster.

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Is this Defrag really worth waiting over?? I mean, its been like 7 hours and it hasnt done a whole lot! If I close it will it end EVERYTHING its done today, or just what it has left to do?

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Is this Defrag really worth waiting over?? I mean, its been like 7 hours and it hasnt done a whole lot! If I close it will it end EVERYTHING its done today, or just what it has left to do?

Yeah it is worth waiting for. It is part of general computer maintainence just like changing your oil on the quad and truck :D
I know it takes forever, but don't disrupt it or all will go back to how it was. What I do is I start the defrag once a week before I go to bed and let it run while I sleep. You won't notice a huge difference, but there will be a difference. The longer you wait before you defrag the bigger the difference in performance you will notice after you defrag. As a general rule of thumb, it is good to defrag once every 1-2 weeks.

wheeltrax
03-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Basically put, that just increased your computer's "short-term memory" capacity (what it is processing right now as you work). Windows is not good at managing this on its own. By increasing the capacity like you just did, you gave the computer more resources to get tasks done faster.

any downsides to doing this?

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Well...i guess i'll let it be...its been goin since about 11am.

I got a mad itch to use pinnacle, i just got it this morning!

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
any downsides to doing this?

No downsides to this, as long as you don't go overboard and go over 2X the amount of the reccommended size ;)

ShiftFMX
03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Thank god...its done! :rolleyes:

03-05-2006, 04:27 PM
thanks Nacsmxer ...i just did that thing you said to do in the virtual memory and it sped my PC up even faster@!

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
thanks Nacsmxer ...i just did that thing you said to do in the virtual memory and it sped my PC up even faster@!

No problem, just passing on a little trick I learned...:)

dirt308
03-05-2006, 05:07 PM
I haven't tryed this yet but a couple of my friends have and its kind of seems funny that it worked. If you download limewire use it to download limewire pro.

03-05-2006, 05:20 PM
go with areis over limewire...

limewire has seriuos problems from everyone i talk to.

i here aries and i have kazaa lite k++ and they are both the best from whta i hear...

03-05-2006, 05:23 PM

i just went to do that and i guess IBM already has done that...and it was double +6 over...

Ralph
03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Doesnt 3044 MB sound pretty large for the paging size. It is recomending 1522 MB...

NacsMXer
03-05-2006, 05:58 PM
It will vary depending on your overall hard drive space availible. I have mine set at 1530 MB and have a 256 gig hard drive. I'm guessing you have a bigger one?

Ralph
03-06-2006, 09:26 PM
It will vary depending on your overall hard drive space availible. I have mine set at 1530 MB and have a 256 gig hard drive. I'm guessing you have a bigger one?

i have a 120 gig hdd and 1 gig of ram... i dunno.

NET450r350x
03-07-2006, 12:37 AM
another thing you should do is get a good anti-spyware program

i recommend Ad-Aware. i cant tell you how many times this program has found spyware on my computer.

Spyware sucks because it slows down your computer big time. and its real easy to get infected especially if you download programs or go to "questionable" websites ;)