PDA

View Full Version : went to a new track today to practice and..

zzbudzz
07-20-2002, 06:41 PM
man what a track!when i first got there i didn't even want to ride it cause the jumps were big to me .tell me what ya'll think. a lot of the guys were calling it a supertrack,it had everything there!.a very large 6 step up hill probably about 30 to 35 foot tall,2 medium step ups top of the step ups were about 15 to 17 foot tall!i could it up to the top everytime,2 back to back whoops section(i hated them beat me half to death)2 medium table tops (about 6 to 7 foot tall not sure how long 25 to 30 foot?)5 sets of doubles about 6 to 7 foot tall,a rythm section of about 5 sets of small doublesor 10 3 foot hills,and a few steep drop offs.i wanted to try and clear those doubles but didn't want to pay the piper if i messed up!all the face's of the jumps were STEEP! i walked around before practicei couldn't even walk down or up half the jumps (it was also wet!).........................so i kept having the front end come up too high on the jumps what can i do about that? I tried to give it gas alot then let off before the jump to try and level out ,didn't seem to work very much!any help out there for keeping me level?i'll get some pics tomorrow and post them.oh yeah tommorrow's race day!

Nausty
07-20-2002, 06:46 PM
pull in the clutch and hit the rear brake. practice on a jump your not afraid of it is farely easy and works great. The reason it works is because your tires are spinning so fast and when you hit the brakes it throws the front of the quad down to stop the tire from spinning. Kinda like when you hit the brakes and your front suspension sags well its the same way it just doesn't have dirt under the tires.

zzbudzz
07-20-2002, 06:55 PM
ok, thanks nausty .now what about those damn whoops sections?just try and keep your front wheels up?man i'm sore as h*ll just from those!also what do ya'll think about the track i explained?

trx400ex
07-20-2002, 07:16 PM
new suspension, but keep the front end light, tracking, but light

OutlawEX
07-21-2002, 11:55 PM
man that sounds intense,we need tracks around here that are like that

Nausty
07-22-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by zzbudzz
ok, thanks nausty .now what about those damn whoops sections?just try and keep your front wheels up?man i'm sore as h*ll just from those!also what do ya'll think about the track i explained?

I try to go kinda slow at first and gradually increase my speed when i'm practicing to get a fell for it. I try to stay towards the neatral of the bike and rear and let the quad move around you and as you get going faster through the whoops you will actually have to push down to keep the tires on the back face of the whoops. thats just how I do it though.

zzbudzz
07-22-2002, 08:01 AM
well, i went and raced sunday at the track ,man was it hot! hey, what do you know i got 3rd out of 10 first moto ,next i got 5 out 7,so i got 4 over all.and i got a trophy!:D not to bad for my first real motocross race,huh!7 out of the ten had aftermarket everything !first moto 2 of the guys crashed ,probably the only reason i got 3rd:rolleyes: ,but i finished the race and thats what counts,right.here's a pic of the smaller step up

zzbudzz
07-22-2002, 08:03 AM
here's one of me getting ready to pass the guy on the red 400

zzbudzz
07-22-2002, 08:09 AM
here's one of the track

zzbudzz
07-22-2002, 08:15 AM
here's my 5 year old and the trophy notice the motorcycle on it ,quads just don't get any respect:rolleyes:

sandman
07-22-2002, 09:21 AM
good job glad to see you made it through it in one piece

AtvMxRider
07-22-2002, 02:33 PM
Hey Buddy, Whats up I'm glad you got 4th over all. Man I wish I would have stayed and raced the second moto, but I know I would hurt more than I do now. Man your not kidding it was hot I thought I was going to die during practice. Are you going to be able to race the next one in Aug.? I will be there but I don't think I'm going to race not until I get a 400 hopefully soon. Talk to you later. Jerry

Pappy
07-22-2002, 02:44 PM
good job!!! looks like the ol' boy on the red 400 is checkin the front bumper out pretty close!!! keep practicin...then send us a shot of the 1st place trophy!!! congrats!!

MxDale71
07-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Sounds like a nice track.

Like Nausty said, if the front end is to high, pull in the clutch and tap the rear brake. If you need to pull the front end up, pull up slightly on the bars and give it a lot of gas. Just be sure to keep your feet planted when you pull up on the bars... if your not careful, you could find your feet floating in the air.

Looks like there was some freestyle goin on... the guy on the red 400 seemed to be doin a "sterilizer" :eek: ;) .

Sick0
07-22-2002, 05:56 PM
Whats nasty said is how to correct have you front end going to high off a jump. What you need to do is fix the problem in the first place. If you ten to have the front high going of jumps you leaning to far back on the quad. if you nose dive you are leaning to forward on the jump. I find being in diffrent gears makes a diffrence also. if you are in a high gear, you get better traction of the face of the lip kinda makes the frontend higher. also there is a thing call "pre-loading", I don't know if you no what I'm talking about but, it makes a big diffrence to.If you want to learn how to tricks pre-loads is one of the most importan thing to tricks. I hope this helped.

airheadedduner
07-23-2002, 01:25 AM
i love step ups. if you know the jump is gonna kick the nose high then what you can do is lean forward a little and bend your elbows more then usual. when you are in the air push down and bend your legs to let the bike come up underneith you. for whoops keep your elbows bent, stay back on the bike. crouch over the seat. let your legs take most of the shock and power over them. do not let the front come down hard or you will be screwed. the best thing you can do for whoops is upgrade your suspention.

Nausty
07-23-2002, 03:06 AM
oh and another thing if the same you have trouble keeping your nose down on the same jump all the time just let off the throttle on the face of the jump seeing you got a four stroke. Landing I don't know if you know this but just have your joints barely bent and be real stiff when you land and let your legs take a lot of the impact. And whatever you do don't let your body sink down a lot tow war your head goes down and your on the seat and everything because if you doin that than you either need to land on the gas more or work out. Umm don't be afraid to try new stuff and see what works and what doesn't that and differant styles of riding like woods racing, freestyle, hill climbing, mx all that stuff. By freestyle I don't mean just mid air tricks I mean riding on 2 wheels with no feet and one hand riding wheelies on the bars and that stuff. You really get to understand what your quad can do and get a feel for how much farther you can push the limits of the quad and to keep you from panicing when you get into a position when you think your about to flip or fall off. And with the mid air freestyle you end up learning how to land right and gain confidence in the air so your not affraid to throw it around. IF your rear tires are spinning or sliding to much through the corners get back and if you come up short on a jump where you can clip the rear wheels and nose dive GET ON THE GAS because when your rear tires hit its gonna launch you forward instead of flipping frontwards. Oh yah and try to be smooth and carry your speed through the corners because thats where you can make up a lot of time when someone is going 20mph through a berm and you come flying through the straitaway at 45 and get on the brakes as hard as you can and carry your speed through it and you can make up a lot of time by doing that. Umm i better shutup now, a lot of the stuff I just wanted to give you some advice not just racing just to help keep you from doing a face plant with the quad landing on top of you or something like that.

zzbudzz
07-23-2002, 10:06 AM
ok ,thanks guys .i think the biggest thing to help me right now now is get in shape ! 5 laps in 95 degree heat was killing me !my forearms were burnt out i could hardly hold on after the 4 lap.i tell you guys that was very fun and i meet alot of good people at the track as well.i can't wait to do it again .one other thing i found out i need is SHOCKS ,that would probably help with me getting so tired!anybody got any for a good price:D

Pappy
07-23-2002, 10:15 AM
hahaha....run my friend...and ride with sweats under your gear in cool weather. ive passed many a good rider who couldnt hack the heat!!lmao!!