PDA

View Full Version : question's on why i got beat by raptor! plz help

Ryan-WB440ex
07-20-2002, 06:28 PM
ok im running the mods in my sig, and a stock 2003 raptor beat me.. he got a jump off the line cause i didnt wanna flip my bike and he was about 4-5 bikes ahead then i hit 3rd gear (my power gear) =D and i caught right up to him and we ran side by side till i maxed out in 5th then he dusted me. my bike back fires when im slowing down do i need a bigger main jet or smaller? . is there anything i should do besides change my gearing? cause i like my gearing for jumping and trails... how can i keep my power and make 5th longer? also 2 of the rivots in my silencer where it connects to head pipe came out would that affect anything. ALSO I SMOKED A Z400 the same day =D. any help or suggestions would be great guys Thanks. :confused:

bansheeguy77
07-20-2002, 07:27 PM
he beat u cause he was faster. those yamaha stickers do alot. ur jetting is off pull ur plug and see what color it is....that will tell if u want bigger or smaller. maybe get it ported and polished that would help and an edlebrock carb u should beat him then.

airheadedduner
07-20-2002, 07:47 PM
sounds like it was runnin a little lean.

Wheelie
07-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Airbox lid on or off??

With those mods, you should have no problem beating those two quads.

kicken250x
07-21-2002, 10:24 PM
go down a few discs on you pipe that should even it out with out having to spend any money and you will get better performance out of it to...my 2 cents...

07-21-2002, 10:27 PM
Sounds a little lean, and like you were out gunned by 220cc's.

Also with the big bore kit you have there could be "hidden" problems. Who installed the kit? what compression do you really have?

I recomend that anyone who has, or is thinking of a 440 to do a little research and check out two things (absolute must reads) here on exriders. 1. there is a great bit of info in the tech section under the micky dunlap Q&A 2. check out a thread titled "have you decked the cylinder" it will deal with some good info on the 440.

Good Luck and remember that two things that are hard to beat are larger cc's and cubic money.

Ryan-WB440ex
07-22-2002, 04:38 AM
i did read that article and alot of stuff on this forum before i bought the kit, if i go with a bigger main jet and put an outer wears on my air box will that add alot of power? and whats it cost for a port and polish. what are you other 440 guys running for jets/air box....to beat raptors...?

RED121572
07-22-2002, 09:13 AM
The popping noise you hear on deaccleration is caused by a lean pilot.

Thats the part of the carb I hate and have a hard time tuning. I would tune it so it would run fine, but it wouldnt idol. With a few hours of tweaking the screw, I finally got it right.

:D

Good luck hoss, let us know how things turn out!

BigThumper33
07-22-2002, 11:28 AM
You must realize that by doing mods to your quad all your doing is increasing the acceleration up to the rev limitor. The only way to increase your speed is to get a different rev limiter, which you have, change the gearing, and change tire size. Nothing else will actually make you have a higher top speed, just make you get up to top speed faster.

Ryan-WB440ex
07-22-2002, 11:57 AM
you can make more top end.... get more power so you can change sprockets for more top speed and keep your bottom end at the same time =D. guess ill just try to tweak the carb and jets and hope it runs better, if it does ill gear it for more top end.

K_Fulk
07-22-2002, 12:10 PM
You could get your head ported, bigger valves, and a carb. You should be able to beat him on dirt then. The extra valve in the craptor gives it that topend power.

Pappy
07-22-2002, 12:10 PM
you arnt gonna make any power past the stock rev limiter with the stock cam. check your jetting...and everything else.

and dont be surprised to get beat by a raptor...stock or piped.
they have you by 260 cc....and maybe the guy could ride it. i beat faster quads all the time...just because i can launch and shift. not flamin ya at all.....but maybe it aint yer quad.

Blake24
07-22-2002, 01:15 PM
he got a jump off the line cause i didnt wanna flip my bike

LOL..........if you are racing on pavement which it sounds......try starting in 2nd gear and let it out easy........there is no reason to pop a clutch like you talk about above..........smooth = fast and fast = good

airheadedduner
07-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
You could get your head ported, bigger valves, and a carb. You should be able to beat him on dirt then. The extra valve in the craptor gives it that topend power.

5 valves also makes it rev much quicker. if you like your bike for jumping then gear up. i run 14\37 on my R and can clear stuff a gear lower then my riddin budies.

Ryan-WB440ex
07-22-2002, 10:00 PM
400ex127 i know i screwed up on my take off but i still caught him in 3rd cause thats where my power is with the track cam then i stayed with him through 4th and he pulled away about halfway through 5th and i just started riding in january 2002 so I know my skills are not very good at drag racing because that was the second time i dragged someone lol.. first time was against my friends stock 400 and we both nearly flipped our bikes and i went in a ditch and he just missed a telephone pole =D. bah screw drag racing jumping is where it is at and that i can do just fine.:devil oh and airhead I hear ya I have to time my jumps a gear lower than my friends stocker too.