PDA

View Full Version : Im Stumped

journeyman
03-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Heres the deal....ive got a 2005 400EX....jetting is perfect and performance wise it runs like a scaled dog....no loss of power anywhere.....
PROBLEM>>>>>im leakin oil from the right side crankcase cover where the 2 oil lines hook up...im guessin it the orings.Also this thing smokes like a chimmly....im only ridin maybe twice a week and im adding atleast a 1/4 quart of oil week...like i said it runs like a dime...but this oil is gettin expensive.HELP

BlasterEaten250
03-04-2006, 08:09 PM
is it still under warrentee? for an 05 that isnt good. or for anything for that matter.:ermm:

journeyman
03-04-2006, 08:10 PM
no the warrenty is up...i just wanna know what to look for when i tear into this sucker

ZeroLogic
03-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by journeyman
Also this thing smokes like a chimmlybut this oil is gettin expensive.HELP

Smokes out of the exhaust or the leak?

journeyman
03-04-2006, 09:06 PM
smokes out the pipe...its just sweating around oil lines

JOEX
03-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Did you buy this new?

ZeroLogic
03-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by journeyman
smokes out the pipe...its just sweating around oil lines
Well if it smokes out of the pipe and the smoke is blue its burning oil. Then its time for a rebuild.

Do you have a Clymers manual? How much oil is leaking from the case? Like huge puddles of oil? Or just drops once in a while?
I would replace the orings or what ever is in there. You can look at the Clymers manual and it should tell you whats in there without taking it apart, if you have one.

Hope this helps...

journeyman
03-05-2006, 07:40 AM
the atv was bought new on 3/8/05.Around the end of May, I was going across the feild and BOOM.It died and wouldnt start.Took it to the local shop, and they said it was a case of "Piston Failure"????Dont know what the heck that is but anyway, they showed me the piston and somehow the wrist pin snapped and the piston got lodged in the cylinder sideways.So they said they replaced a whole bunch of **** and fixed it.But they never showed me a list of anything they did cuz they said they need it for "Hondas records".So about a week after I got it back it started smoking.Mind you that the quad to this day had NO LOSS OF POWER...So once again I loaded up and took it to the shop..They said it was smoking cuz of a dirty airfilter and charged me $75.Ok, I took there word for it.So i went home, started it up, and it was still smoking.I called them back, they said bring it in.They called a week later and said it wasent smoking and for me not to bring it back unless something was wrong.Well that was the end of me dealing with them.So now the warrenty is up and i just wanna fix this thing myself.

ZeroLogic
03-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Did you brake it in correctly? What color is it smoking?

bwamos
03-06-2006, 09:29 AM
bluish smoke at startup usually means you need new valve guides.

bluish smoke after its warm at high rpms usually means your piston rings are shot.

black smoke means you're jetted too rich.

white smoke (steam), means you got water in your oil.

DieselBoy
03-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I would fight them for a rebuild. They didn't properely service your unit and they probably knew your warrenty was nearing the end and they figured they would dust you off their list cause your not a money maker for them really.

i personally would have fought and fought. they would have given in eventually.

tater_kamik
03-07-2006, 12:13 PM
bwamos just gave you a great guide. also if you are leaking oil from the lines, check the orings, make sure they are the right size, etc, then retorque. then work on the smoking issuein accordance with the info already given

journeyman
03-07-2006, 02:06 PM
the bike dosent smoke on start up.Only after the bike warms up.kinda like a blueish white.also it dosent smoke when your on the gas...only DEcelleration

DieselBoy
03-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Lace into your dealer.

journeyman
03-07-2006, 04:34 PM
im guessin that my best bet is.......
send my cylinder to C+D for a 416 bore
get a 10.8-1 piston,stage 2 hotcam,crf450 timing chain,valve seals and guides and i should be good to go.sound good???

2001Toomey
03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
It's really low of the dealer to help someone out like that. Smoking because the air filter is dirty? And charging $75 to clean it I'm assuming? What kinda people....

As for the 416 set-up, I think it'd be better first to find out what the problem is before modding it. Then again, maybe switching out those parts like the piston, etc, and you'll end up finding out what the problem was after taking it apart and putting it back together.

DieselBoy
03-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I really fail to understand these warrenties. They give you a warrenty yet your paying for it. Car/truck warrenties certainly don't work that way.

journeyman
03-07-2006, 07:28 PM
they said it was my fault the air filter was dirty...well that was bs...

prepracing
03-07-2006, 07:34 PM
sounds like from the original problem they probably just tried to hone out and clean up the cylinder, and I would bet it needed an overbore instead of that. So I bet you have scratched/rough cylinder walls that have ate you rings up which will cause it to smoke exactly like you say its doing. I would say an overbore ( size is up to you, depends on how big $$$ you want to go ) and new piston and rings is in order. Go ahead and replace valve seals why your doing that and you will be better than new :macho

journeyman
03-07-2006, 07:36 PM
thanks alot...think ima do the 416,cam,piston,seals and all at the same time....prolly in a few weeks

DieselBoy
03-07-2006, 07:39 PM
You may have a damaged bore.

honda460ex
03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Not to me it don't, unless you just really got an urge to spend money. Seriously, like a bunch of these other guys have said, complain to your dealer. If they won't listen, go over there heads to corporate. I know it's probably been to long and chances are slim anything will get done, but it's worth a shot before you start dishing out money. They honestly did not put your bike back together right. They messed up your piston rings or something when putting it back together. Or possibly, slim chance on how new the bike is, but possible... It may have a bad crank bearing. It could have played a part in the first rebuild you had as well. If the crank is not a perfect smooth rotation in there without a wobble in it, it can cause burning of oil, cracking the rings, or even the locking up of the top end of the motor. but yeah, my suggestion, GO BACK TO HONDA ABOUT IT!!!