PDA

View Full Version : What Front Shocks?

HondaRacing23
03-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I have been told that getting stock 450R shocks revalved and resprong is better then any shock out there. I have also heard that Works shocks are the way to go either. I dont want to spend a ton of money but i dont want to bottom out either. I would love to have some PEPS but there kinda a lot of bucks...$$$$ I race Harescrambles Now and then. Would like to get into it more but dont have the cash right now... What shocks do you guys think I should get. Im calling Gt Thunder monday if he is back from florida then. I have +2 arms on the front with 21X7X10 tires on the front. Thanks

03-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I LOOOOVE my GTHUNders..got to ride on them today pretty well

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pee5d977d588d097099a20498454c64da/eff4a55c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pe87801a1ca9c968893d7e6521a6ae1ba/eff4a5b0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pac8bcc82f15f6156cf2056db98caa0ff/eff4a538.jpg

bpimpdaddy21
03-05-2006, 05:25 AM
If you are looking to save money, GT THunder or an equivalent revalve is DEFINATELY the way to go. You will get great performance for the money. Best bang for the buck I think!

HondaRacing23
03-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Yea i think GT thunder is how im gonna go. Do you know if he excepts credit cards. HAHA

bpimpdaddy21
03-05-2006, 08:26 AM
I know he takes paypal...

HondaRacing23
03-05-2006, 08:32 AM
hopefully paypal will get off there lazy @ss and get my acount back up and running

03-05-2006, 11:42 AM
order GTThunder through aggressivepowersports.com I saved $100 through him

03-05-2006, 02:45 PM
G T Thunder or Elka :macho

HondaRacing23
03-05-2006, 05:09 PM
so you only paid a little over $100 from this guy to have GT thunder redo your shocks? if they can have it done by the 1st of april and me have them on my bike ill do it otherwise im just gonna go down to GT thunder im only 39min from there.

fultz416ex
03-05-2006, 05:17 PM
send them to derisi racing. i just got mine back last week and these things are great. he totally rebuilt my shocks and i also got the rear link. there is no more bucking in the rear end and the front shock ride so smooth. this in probably one of the best upgrades i have made to my 450r. santo is great to deal with and will help you out with any questions you might have.
travis

HondaRacing23
03-05-2006, 05:21 PM
how much for the front to get done and whats his number website something for me to get ahold of him??? think he can have them done by the 1st of april??? and i can have them on my bike???

HondaRacing23
03-05-2006, 05:35 PM
got his number.. hes on his way back from the GNCC race in florida right now.... im gonna give me a call tomorrow...let him catch up on some ZZZZzzzzzz's. said he could hook me up...

03-05-2006, 07:35 PM
no..i SAVED about $100 through this guy...email him corey@aggressivepowersports.com

IOWAracer
03-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Go with C and D I ahve the works triple rates came on mine and i am gonna send mine to tem and get the ssd put on them and have my rear resrpung for a ssd setup

brif
03-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Laz does a great job. If time is at a premium laz is your man. When i sent out my shocks, he only had them for 3 days. The rest of the time they were in transit. I would recommend the gt thunders to anyone.

yamablaster24
03-06-2006, 08:03 PM
def. not best shock out there but cheapest bang for the buck. I ran their shocks on my 400ex and it handled like my TCS rebuild.

heatherbee923
03-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by fultz416ex
send them to derisi racing. i just got mine back last week and these things are great. he totally rebuilt my shocks and i also got the rear link. there is no more bucking in the rear end and the front shock ride so smooth. this in probably one of the best upgrades i have made to my 450r. santo is great to deal with and will help you out with any questions you might have.
travis

what he said

03-07-2006, 10:05 AM
check with C&D also. i'm told that C&D's set-up is pretty much the same as Derisi....minus the link.

i had C&D do mine. they are done and currently in transit.

03-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I didnt go with santo but I wanted too b/c of his long wait, i didnt go with c&D because they were expensive and didnt even offer a new linkage. I went with GTThunder because he was cheaper then c&d and I got a new linkage, he was also really quick

MX#9
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
I just sent my 06 shocks to Laz and did not call first. He is out of town till the 13th. I just was not thinking about the GNCC races starting up this past weekend.
Laz did my 04 shocks for me. I sent the shocks out UPS on a Monday and they were back to me Wed. the same week. He basically had to do them the minute they arrived to get them back on UPS the same day.
I do not believe anyone could do it faster

I also do not think it is the best set up out there either. For me ,I wanted better than stock. That is what I got. I have to believe the high priced Elkas or eqivilant,for the price,got to be better.

HondaRacing23
03-07-2006, 08:43 PM
if he can beat $546.00 for dual rate shocks on the front. revaled dual rate on the back and linkage. Ill go with GT Thunder otherwise im going with this other person i know. do you think he can do it for that or less.?

03-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing23
if he can beat $546.00 for dual rate shocks on the front. revaled dual rate on the back and linkage. Ill go with GT Thunder otherwise im going with this other person i know. do you think he can do it for that or less.? no...that is a rediculous price. im guessing you get what yu pay for this guy so good luck

HondaRacing23
03-08-2006, 06:31 AM
NO this guy is pretty good at what he does. Im not aloud to mention his name or i could get in trouble. He is popular though. A lot of people have been there. Even on this site...

kbass24emtp
03-08-2006, 07:48 AM
You can't go wrong with DeRisi. You will like the work that he does.

03-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
I didnt go with santo but I wanted too b/c of his long wait, i didnt go with c&D because they were expensive and didnt even offer a new linkage. I went with GTThunder because he was cheaper then c&d and I got a new linkage, he was also really quick

do you want to go a round, mix? lol.
the c&d price is about the same as GTT. you are correct about the link. no link is supplied with the c&d setup. but, he does more work to the rear shock which is supposed to eliminate 90% of the bucking. plus, you will not have to modify your skid plate or air box. also, you can purchase the derisi link, if need be.

do i get any commision for this, colby? lol.
j/k

:p

03-08-2006, 10:20 AM
id rather have a new linkage..what MORE WORK do they do to the shock? :confused: when I get something done i get it done RIGHT the first time...

03-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by force
do you want to go a round, mix? lol.
the c&d price is about the same as GTT. you are correct about the link. no link is supplied with the c&d setup. but, he does more work to the rear shock which is supposed to eliminate 90% of the bucking. plus, you will not have to modify your skid plate or air box. also, you can purchase the derisi link, if need be.

do i get any commision for this, colby? lol.
j/k

:p

sorry man, but whatever you say about what colby does to the rear shock, it still wont be as good as the gt thunder shock, with his linkage you get a way better shock angle, the stock linkage cant even compete with that, nomader what he does, there is only so much you can change, and its not enough to even touch GT Thunder's setup

you dont need to modify your airbox, but your right about the skidplate, but thats not a big deal

03-08-2006, 01:16 PM
yah u do need to modify your airbox...mine busted when I jumped across a creek.

03-08-2006, 02:25 PM
yah u do need to modify your airbox...mine busted when I jumped across a creek.

ouch, that sucks, i didnt have to do anything with mine, but i have elkas so that may be different :confused:

HondaRacing23
03-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I am having Dirisi Racing Do my shocks

blakefoote
03-09-2006, 07:17 AM
how much do the GT thunders cost?:ermm:

03-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by blakefoote
how much do the GT thunders cost?:ermm: depends on what you get....order through aggressivepowersports.com if you wanna save a lot of money

03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
sorry man, but whatever you say about what colby does to the rear shock, it still wont be as good as the gt thunder shock, with his linkage you get a way better shock angle, the stock linkage cant even compete with that, nomader what he does, there is only so much you can change, and its not enough to even touch GT Thunder's setup

you dont need to modify your airbox, but your right about the skidplate, but thats not a big deal

i have not ridden any other setup other than stock. so, i have no clue who's design is better. you may be 100% correct. but, it seems like you may not have all the facts (just like me). Have you ridden both setups? can you honestly say the GTT setup is hands-down the better ride? I know I cannot make this statement....and I have not tried to. I'm just relaying what was told to me.

the fact that you did not know you needed to raise the airbox, makes me think you may just be spouting off. i have also heard things about GTT that are not good. I will not repeat them. Because, again, i'm not posting just to bash GTT. But, you can read around and find what i'm talking about.

i only posted to give the thread starter another option to consider. i hope this does not offend you. because, it is not meant to be offensive.

Jersey450R
03-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by MX#9

I sent the shocks out UPS on a Monday and they were back to me Wed. the same week. He basically had to do them the minute they arrived to get them back on UPS the same day.

that is just not right to say man. not to knock laz or gtt, but there is no possible way that could even happen. how can you post that on this site?

basically what your saying is that you shipped them on monday...got there monday. he had the for 1 day and put you in front of everyone else on the waiting list...did the shocks tuesday. and for the grand finally, shipped them out on wensday...and you had them wensday...same day.

ridiculous. :rolleyes:

kbass24emtp
03-09-2006, 11:19 AM
You don't need to raise the airbox with DeRisi's linkage.

MX#9
03-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Jersey450r, When I sent my shocks in for my 04,back in 04, I sent them out UPS from where I work. They left here Mon. afternoon,GT Thunder is in eastern OH and I'm in western PA.
He would have got them Tues. morn,worked on them and got them back out on UPS tues afternoon for me to get them Wed. morning.
That IS the way it happened. I did not think that it made a night and day difference,and I have posted that,I have said it was better.
I also am not advertising for GT Thunder. I personally think the guy is a little rude.
That IS the service I got from him though.

Next time,before you feel like slapping my hands because you don't believe me,try shooting me a PM.

I also did not expect or ask for that kind of service. I'm giving the guy the credit he deserves.

03-09-2006, 01:15 PM
i sent my rear shock formt he 400ex to gt thunder on a thursday by usps and got it back the following tuesday.

prm makes skidplates that have the cutout ion them to run the after market linkage, i have one on order right now from my local dealer. They cost the same as the regular skid plate and i won't have to cut it out.

yes, laz from gt thunder is not the most pleasant person to talk to, but his work is quality for what you are getting

conway400
03-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I thought one of the GTT links needed the airbox mod, the other didn't. (At least there used to be two different linkages to choose from for the 04 and 05s.)

You both are correct (and worng) on that point. :)

Both required the skid plate mod.

MX#9
03-09-2006, 02:08 PM
What brand of skid is that speedy that is already cut out?

My Armadillo came today,so it is too late for me to order a different one. I got the Armadillo because it,to me,is the easiest one to mod.

03-09-2006, 03:24 PM
prm...instigator in freeport, pa had them in his shop...i thought he has someone cut them out for him...i asked after i ordered a regular prm....it had not come in yet and the nice guys at World of WHeels ordered me the cut out one...if not for the cut out, and not boing sure if armadillo's was updated for the swing-arm, i would have gotten an armadillo

03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
i have not ridden any other setup other than stock. so, i have no clue who's design is better. you may be 100% correct. but, it seems like you may not have all the facts (just like me). Have you ridden both setups? can you honestly say the GTT setup is hands-down the better ride? I know I cannot make this statement....and I have not tried to. I'm just relaying what was told to me.

the fact that you did not know you needed to raise the airbox, makes me think you may just be spouting off. i have also heard things about GTT that are not good. I will not repeat them. Because, again, i'm not posting just to bash GTT. But, you can read around and find what i'm talking about.

i only posted to give the thread starter another option to consider. i hope this does not offend you. because, it is not meant to be offensive.

if you think im just spouting off then dont listen to me, many people on this site know me, i am a reliable source of information, im running elkas not stock shocks like mixmaster is which would be y i did not know the airbox mod was needed, but also like the other guy said, there is 2 different links, and im guessing 1 needs it the other doesnt, nah your not offending me, i understand where your comming from, everyone wants the best info and its hard to know who really to listen to, i have never rode the C&D setup, but i do know enough about shocks to know that it is near impossible to achieve a better ride quality then the G T shock using the shock angle that is supplied with the stock linkage, you gain so much by switching linkages, such as the progression ratio, travel, shock angle, tons of advantages, i just couldnt see how it would be possible to get all of that using the stock linkage, the only c&d shock i rode was on a 400ex, not a 450r, so i cant base that on anything, im just trying to help people with what i do know about shocks, and being that the most you can do is change internal components and springs around, i dont see how it would be possible to beat the G T Thunder setup when using a linkage vs the stock linkage setup

HondaRacing23
03-09-2006, 09:33 PM
i am getting a rear linkage with the derisi setup. im happy with the price im getting

blakefoote
03-10-2006, 05:15 AM
depends on what you get....order through aggressivepowersports.com if you wanna save a lot of money

hey i went to thatsite and i didnt see jack crap...lol

03-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by blakefoote
hey i went to thatsite and i didnt see jack crap...lol

better to just go direct from gt thunder so you know what your getting for sure, just my 2 cents

03-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Yurik, I appreciate the "cool-headed" response. And, thank you for the information. I was told the Derisi link will work fine with the c&d setup. So, I guess (after i install these) if I feel like a link is needed, I will order the Derisi.

jlm996s
03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I've got C&D triple rates on front and GT Thunder rebuild with linkage on back. They are a lot better than stock, but not the best by any means. I have not had to mod my airbox and as far as I can tell, it's never been hit...XC linkage. I had to cut the crap out of my Pro Armor skid to get it to fit properly. I'm going to have to cut somemore b/c it seems to bend very easily and is now catching part of the linkage. For what I paid I am pleased with my setup.....except the Pro Armor skid. Hopefully, though, I'll have a Elka or Axis setup someday.

03-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Yurik, I appreciate the "cool-headed" response. And, thank you for the information. I was told the Derisi link will work fine with the c&d setup. So, I guess (after i install these) if I feel like a link is needed, I will order the Derisi.

you will gain more by switching linkages, also then you wont have to worry about the extreme shock angle messing up your frame, if it was me id get the linkage no questions asked, but anything is better then nothing, hope you enjoy your shock :macho

03-10-2006, 07:00 PM
better to just go direct from gt thunder so you know what your getting for sure, just my 2 cents i personally didnt want to spend that extra $100 for that reason but thats just me...maybe $20 or less and I prob. would went direct but a $100 savings for no real reason? SCREW THAT

03-10-2006, 08:41 PM
i personally didnt want to spend that extra $100 for that reason but thats just me...maybe $20 or less and I prob. would went direct but a $100 savings for no real reason? SCREW THAT

well ya, but id rether tell laz what i want instead of telling one, that has to tell laz, could get #'s mixed up, id rether get it the way i want it the first time, not saying u did the wrong thing, but i dont kno the guy

03-11-2006, 09:28 PM
well ya, but id rether tell laz what i want instead of telling one, that has to tell laz, could get #'s mixed up, id rether get it the way i want it the first time, not saying u did the wrong thing, but i dont kno the guy i wrote it all down on a piece of paper and he handed the paper to laz. no way to really mix things up

dist5mxer
03-12-2006, 12:43 PM
GT Thunder is in my opinion the best to have re-work rear shocks. I've heard of alot of people with Elka and AXIS complain about the rear end bucking b.c they used the stock linkage. instead of goin with elka on the rear to match the front, i went with the whole GT package.. and havent had it buck yet. I have aslo came up just a tad short on a few doubles... and it was surprisingly smooth..

now that just my opinion....