PDA

View Full Version : Now whats wrong?

JhallettEX
07-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Well I was suppose to race today, and since I got my new X-6 I thaught I would go a little early to make sure if was jetted right. Well I get it unloaded and went for a quick ride, not good. It had no power at all in the 1/4 to 3/4 range, it almost acted like it was hitting the rev limiter as soon as I switch from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, it would just rev out instantly. Well the guys next to me thaught I was way way way to rich on the main, I had a 172 in. they gave me a 162 to try. So I put this 162 in and went for another ride. It was acting the same way for the first 30-45 seconds of riding and then it went away. I was thinkin this was good. When I got back to the pits I had one of them take it for a ride and it started to do it all over again, he thaught it wasnt shifting into the the higher gear and thaught it was a clutch problem. I then took it for another ride and thaugh since it was at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle I would mess with the needle a little so I did. I started it up and this is when the real problem started. I let out on the clutch and it will not move. So now I have no clue what is wrong. I can push it all that I want when it is in gear, it is as if the clutch is engaged the whole time. Come on guys I need some help here whats wrong? I have tried adjusting the clutch cable and everything, I am beginning to think it is more internal, like my clutch basket, etc. What do you think. Sorry for the long post.

airheadedduner
07-20-2002, 08:03 PM
:huh

1\4 to 3\4 throttle is needle not the main. break out the jam cause it sounds like your clutch is toast.

07-20-2002, 08:18 PM
lol (sorry dude not laughing at ur prob.) airheadedduner, that was great. i loved that whole toast/ jam thing. lol. anyway bud, if your clutch is done for save a little extra and buy the hinson racing side case. gives it a real trickin' look! ah well, your decision dude! Happy Quaddin'!

JhallettEX
07-20-2002, 09:16 PM
This sucks, I just put this new clutch in 3 months ago. Also, 1 more thing I may add. I just switched from Synthetic back to regular oil, since I am also breaking in a new cam and this was the first ride since then. Could this have been a factor to my problem?

Tommy 17
07-20-2002, 09:23 PM
on the right side case... where the clutch cable goes down into the motor on the little arm... that may have broke off... it did on mine and it did what ur saying...

go down there and jiggle the thing with ur finger if u can move it easy it broke off...

nakomis0
07-20-2002, 09:31 PM
You don't really need to break in a cam.

And Barnett clutches for the 400ex suck arse.

If it is new clutch plates man, get that setup that For Dirt Only recommends, its like stock 250r fibers, with 300ex plates, with stronger springs . It was posted not to long ago, sounds like an awesome set-up.

Might wanna do a search and check it out.

Unless your a big money man than get the whole Hinson set-up :p .. Me, i'm poor man, stock clutch with stronger springs... works great though:D

400exRacerX
07-20-2002, 10:15 PM
Yeah dude Barnett clutch suck big time, I smoked mine in alittle more than 2 months. And I'm not a big time clutch burner like some racers are.

Before you go ordering a new clutch, take the fibers out and check if there is anything left on them just to make sure.

JhallettEX
07-20-2002, 11:10 PM
Doesn't Sparks have a real good setup? I think I may have heard someone mention something about it before. I think I may be drivin to North Platte this week to have Colby do this for me. I installed the first one and I was never 100% comfortable with my work. Colby if you see this post try and get ahold of me tomorrow or early Monday morning.