PDA

View Full Version : Banshee Motor Problems

Number22
03-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Here's the deal. I completed my Laeger Banshee last October (QOTM in Oct) and took the motor through the break in process without any issue. The bike ran fine, never had any issue, only went through about 2 tanks of gas. I put it up for the winter and decided to take it out for a spin today because the weather was good. It started right up on the 2nd or 3rd kick, but I noticed it was running odd at idle as I revved the motor. The left cylinder is running fine but the right seems to be really weak. I got it warm and tried to ride it 3 times and it just will not run at all (hoping to clear it out). I changed the plugs, made sure both carbs were getting gas. Granted the gas is about 5 months old, but I wouldn't think it would make that big of difference. I'm pissed because I invested $3K in the motor (full Duncan setup) and I haven't even run the damn thing. I'm going to get it compression tested, but what else should I look for? Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mxjunkie
03-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Your jetting may be off, I didnt ride mine for a month, rode it again and I've been stratching my head on the jetting since then.. I got a motor me and my dad built along with b+b so I know what you mean when you say you spent 3 g's and u wanna run her! haha mine wouldnt run the first week I had it :o

Ask duncan and see what jets they would recomend, you may get away with moving the clip on the needle.

what is the quad doing? usually with warmer weather you have to go up in jet sizes etc.

Number22
03-04-2006, 05:24 PM
It's just sputtering. It will rev hig but when I left off the clutch it will not run at all, just blubbers like it does not have any power at all. I'm going to drain all the gas and the carbs and see if that helps. It's smoking like a champ too! When I put my hands back at the exhaust and rev it, it feels like the left cylinder is blowing harder than the other. I'm wondering if the right carb is clogged or something. It's getting fuel, the air filter is clean. This is why I like my 4 stroke!

Mxjunkie
03-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Shes rich as a sum*****, gotta drop the main jet size its fouling the plugs thats why the one cylinders doesnt fire.

Number22
03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot!

Mxjunkie
03-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Tell me how it goes! I gotta get needles for mine I got the wrong size in it :p

SheeRider
03-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
what is the quad doing? usually with warmer weather you have to go up in jet sizes etc. wrong! with colder weather you have to go up jet sizes. Put in new gas, clean the carbs and then try it out. tip: pull the choke out half way and if it runs better at wot go up a main jet size/ worse go down. That bad gas can gum up your carbs, next winter turn the gas off and ride around till it dies and the push it in the garage.

Mxjunkie
03-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I got mixed up sorry..

PRAIRIEOUTLAW
03-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Agree with shee rider about the jetting. I personally wouldn't leave any gas at all in it if I didn't put stabil in it. The gas breaks down quick, and will make it run like crap. All my gas engines around the house I either run stabil in em or empty all the gas from em before storage. That includes weed wackers, lawn mowers, boats, atv's, chain saws, and any other gas powered tools.
Now one thing to check if all the jetting looks correct. Look at the plug caps. I had one bad and it made it cut out on one side just like your saying. I did a plug test on the good side was perfect and the other side was real rich. Just food for thought.

youngbansheeman
04-26-2006, 06:03 PM
I think you have to check your Carbs to see if they both have the correct float HEight!When checking the float height, the float should be resting,but not deppresing,the spring-loaded float valve pin.This can be done by tilting the carb untill the float tab just makes contact with the valve pin.If adjustment is needed,bend the metal tab on the float arm untill correct height is obtained!

If you need more info on how to jet your carb let me know!Let me know if that helps!

Mxjunkie
04-26-2006, 07:22 PM
21mm I belive is the correct level.