PDA

View Full Version : new to the 400ex's

razex
03-04-2006, 02:04 PM
what's up guys, I'm looking to get into the atv scene and I am in the market for a 400ex, what are some things to look for when buying a used one? I have found a 02 400ex w/ big gun exhaust, k&n jet kit, heated grips, & alum. skid plates for $2600, it has about 40 hours on it. Should I look into purchasing a new 05 from the dealer? thanks for any input/suggestions you may have

ogre
03-04-2006, 02:21 PM
If u purchase a used one, make sure it doesn't already need something fixed, because i bought one used and it needed new rear bearings, battery, brakes, and the air filter didnt have a clamp on it and it fell off causing water and dirt to go into my motor. So now im getting a rebuild which is expensive not to mention the labor and parts cost for the rearend. So look it over good before purchasing!

razex
03-04-2006, 02:51 PM
thanks man, any other input??

Honda#4
03-04-2006, 03:42 PM
why would u put heated grips on a bike.

ride_red666
03-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
why would u put heated grips on a bike.
so you can ride it in the winter when its cold

sarah_mx07
03-04-2006, 08:04 PM
a 400ex is a good quad. there is alot of them for sale, just look around before you make sure you buy one. make sure you look into what mods are done to it, because you can find a nice 400 with all kinds of mods the same price as someone selling you one with half of the stuff done to it. i bought mine used, for 3,000 or something.. and ive ended up having to do alot of things to it.. like getting the motor rebuilt, bearing carrier, break pads.. stuff like that. but anything you buy used, you end up having to upgrade or fix something on it. but i would just suggest see whats done to it, because youll be surpised when you find one with tons of mods the same price. i also, have the full system big gun ehaust, its not bad.. i like it.. and make sure you know if its been rebuilt or any motor work..because i would go ahead and buy one thats been rebuilt.

Honda#4
03-04-2006, 08:12 PM
i ride in the cold all the time and my hands dont get cold cus i have handguards.

ogre
03-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah i got mine for $1750, up front i knew it needed battery and rear bearings. So i got a 2000 ex for around 2100 after evrything fixed. it came with front bumber and nerfs. Just an idea of cost for you. It was rough bike though and this was like 6 months ago. But i was satisfied. Until the filter fell off and caused me engine problems.

4wydnr
03-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Personally, I'd want an all stock machine that you know has not been abused. Honda's reliability will last you forever. I get kind turned off seeing a machine with all sorts of mods done to them. You have no idea who did the work and if they knew what they were doing. It may cost you a little extra for you to put the exhaust on but you know it was done right, if you jet it properly.

450rJam
03-05-2006, 05:35 AM
I agree pretty much with 4wydnr, i would rather have one with little motor work as possible. K & N and exhaust would be nice start and the other bolt-ons like nerfs, bumpers, grab bars maybe aftermarket handlebars dont bother me. Its just when someone has been in there bumping comp. diff. cam,piston,porting,etc. Pretty much anything that cant easily be put back to stock would make me cautious. thats just me but im not out to have the fastest highest most extreme atv around .

hondaboy400ex55
03-05-2006, 09:17 AM
i bought my 400ex its a 2004 and it had abought 15 hours on it and it had a white bros pipe maxxis tires grips hand guards

and all i have done to it is a 14 tooth sproket and spark plug and its running like a champ

oh yeah i paid 3500 for mine but i knew that it was all dont up right becuase its my dads best freinds brother and i always help with work on this bike then one day he asked me if i would like to buy it so i bought it

Randy H
03-05-2006, 10:12 AM
if you do buy a used 400 with pipes
make sure you ask for the complete stock pipes and
the stock jets..in case you have to put the stock pipe back on for noise
were i live i would get the cops called on my if i had a noisey pipe
soo its succks

jason43050
03-05-2006, 01:47 PM
what type of riding you plan on doing?? if you do alot of trail riding, you might want to get a 2005 model. its got reverse. reverse comes in real handy in tight places, which alot of trail riding can be. my buddy has a 2000 400ex no reverse, b.itches all the time cause he's getting of the quad and pulling it out! so save a headache and get a 2005 or newer. might pay little more than an older one, but you'll be glad you got it in the end. besides it will be around or a long time being as new as it is. a new one around where i live is going around 5800 before taxes. i got my 2005 brand new 1 month ago for 4800 before taxes. plus i got 15% of all accessories i bought, and half of a helmit. i was happy with it. so its up to you. if you do trail riding get reverse, you'll be glad you did.:D

northwest Texas
03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I'd buy a used one. If you know of someone knowledgable, take them with you to look it over. If not, it's really quite simple.

Take the time to look it over, top to bottom. Stand it up on the rear tires and look on the bottom side of the quad. Look to see if anything is bent, cracked, broke. Take your time because if there are cracks in the frame, they're difficult to see.

Typically, the condition of the quad will tell you how well it was taken care of. If it looks rough, chances are it didn't have the best of care but a 400EX is very forgiving in that regard.

If it's truly as low houred as you stated, the price is certainly within reason and the resale isn't going to go much lower unless it's beaten.

Good luck and probably the most important thing you do is buy a good helmet. I see too many people that have expensive machines but they won't spend an extra c note for a helmet.

03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by razex
what's up guys, I'm looking to get into the atv scene and I am in the market for a 400ex, what are some things to look for when buying a used one? I have found a 02 400ex w/ big gun exhaust, k&n jet kit, heated grips, & alum. skid plates for $2600, it has about 40 hours on it. Should I look into purchasing a new 05 from the dealer? thanks for any input/suggestions you may have

i bought mine stock with roughly 40 hours on it for 2700 that sounds like a good price...make sure its jetted right, that he changed the oil ever 2-3 times of riding AND oil filter, check for cracks in the frame, bent stuff, make sure u check the air filter for cracks and such, becuase when i bought mine i didnt even think to check the air filter and it had a big crack on the rubber thing and when i went to ride i got mud and water in my engine....good luck

razex
03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
that's the reply's I was looking for, thanks again :)