PDA

View Full Version : neighbor problem-?'s

ny300exrider
03-04-2006, 10:57 AM
my dad has been having a TON of trouble with a neighbor who moved in 2-3 years ago next door to us and i just want to ask a question or two. we have been living on this property going on 13 years with no problems at all(acre peice of property, no doubt the nicest maintainted house around) and as soon as this guy moved in the trouble has been coming in full force. its a very long story about the whole reasoning and i dont feel like typing it, but it has to do with my dad having a shop in the backyard with his equipment for our family owned landscape and design business. The man next door is doing everything in his power to get us kicked off the land because he claims the business decreases the value of his home and that we wake him up at 5 oclock in the morning with machines(untrue). When we had the house built 12 years ago the builder of the land told us that the zoning would allow a landscape business, but throughout a major mixup of some sort, it doesnt. Of course the neighbor is a realtor so he found out about the zoning issue and brought that to the police and town board as well. now here comes the part that i just cant see being right. the man next door has been writing letter after letter to the town with detailed descriptions of the ways we are running a business from our yard which for some reason is pissing him off to the fullest. one day when i was in my backyard i noticed a crack in one of the vents on the side of his house. i looked into the hole and was greeted with a red light from a video camera. the guy has a 24hr surveilance video on OUR yard. i dont know much about the law, but it seems to me that there must be something against that. what do you guys think about that? is it perfectly legal to have a camera filming everything we do?

the guy is doing anything he can to get us out, so anything we can get against him is good. my dad is in the process of getting a letter from everyone within 5-6 houses from us saying we dont disturb anyone and everyone agreed to the fullest. this whole thing is in court and all so its no joke. it really sucks that people have to take out their anger on neighbors, we have no enemies around us, and we get compliments weekly about how nice our landscape looks or how they love driving by the house.

Toadz400
03-04-2006, 11:01 AM
That sucks man, it's horrible how people can be. I'd look into that whole camera deal, it might be legal but then again it might not. Look it up on the internet, I bet you'd be able to find it.

Hopefully you can get enough letters from surrounding neighbors that will back you up that everything you are doing is legal and not disturbing anyone. Good luck...and kill your neighbor and landscape over him, no one will ever know:eek2: . Just make sure to remove that camera before you do so;) .

ny300exrider
03-04-2006, 11:04 AM
hahah i hear ya man, the day him and my dad exchanged words, i dont think my dad wouldve minded him having a freak accident and dieing. everytime i go to school in the morning i start up my car and look directly at the camera and shake my head

MR.BIG
03-04-2006, 11:05 AM
I would pull my pants down and let his video recorder get a full pic of the moon. lol just another jerk0ff!

Honda TRX250ex
03-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Blow up his house!!!!!:scary:
Or tell your father about that carama. Thats kinda retarted if you ask me.

scramblerracer
03-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Nail all of his doors shut and burn that house down. Make sure they are home first. You don't want them to rebuild!

ny300exrider
03-04-2006, 11:10 AM
oh dont worry my dad has known about the camera since i did, its been discussed with our attorny but i havnt heard anything new. the worst part about the whole ordeal is the land zoning issue. we were told it would be ok to have a businness here 12 yrs ago, but now when this guy comes along and we start having problems, code enforcement comes along and says its not and the town cant do anything so this guy has the advantage. sounds like a bunch of bs to me

derekhonda
03-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Maybe it was ok 12 years ago? As cities expand the zoning laws change and that might be the case. Then you would be alright because of the grandfathering law or clause or whatever. Might check into it.....

coolex
03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
ny300exrider i have a serious question do u have a sister and is she under 18 i swearb to god im not goin to ask ne thing about her or for pics

exrider008
03-04-2006, 11:56 AM
wow that hole camrra this is just redicules i would go over there and give him a pice of my mind. but that sucks i hope u can get everything worked out.

Toadz400
03-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Okay guys I was just kidding about killing the guy, I think some of you are taking it a little too far:eek2: .

As for the zoning issues, you would think the grandfathering law or whatever would come into place. If they did indeed change it you'd think they'd let you know about it? Since they didn't maybe that will give you a reason to get away with it. I'd do some research on it.

ny300exrider
03-04-2006, 12:37 PM
no i dont have a sister haha, the cameras not there to look for women sunbathing, its to see us moving equipment, trucks, stuff like that. the whole situation is in court so hopefully someone from the town can give an answer about the zoning issue if it was changed over the years.

coolex
03-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
no i dont have a sister haha, the cameras not there to look for women sunbathing, its to see us moving equipment, trucks, stuff like that. the whole situation is in court so hopefully someone from the town can give an answer about the zoning issue if it was changed over the years.

o well if u had a sister u could say it was for him spying on her or if you didnt want to get him in that much trouble u could us it as black mail and i realize that its for looking at ur moving equipment but if u had a sister u could just say it was for spying on her

optikid123
03-04-2006, 12:50 PM
just put something in the way everytime he moves the camera, some hedges or a huge fence and he wont be seeing anything, or you could plant drugs in his house and call the cops on him. like they did on south park. but if hes still trying to film you after you put up a fence then i think he would be breaking the law cause he would have to go out of his way to get the footage of you instead of pointing a camera out his window which i dont think is very legal.

or go and and see if theres some way of working it out, u kno talk to him, tell him whats up. it sounds like your family shouldnt have to do what he says by reading this anyways just make clear to him that what hes trying to do wont work and to give up. you were there first if he dosent like it he should have bought somewhere else

mrusk
03-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Your going to end up in front of the land use/zoning/planning board, or whatever it is called in your town.

First off, tell them you are not running a business out of your home. Make sure they know customers DO NOT come to your house. Then ask them if at the end of the day if they take there lap top home or their briefcase. Ask them if a carpenter takes home his toolbelt. The arugument your trying to make is that your trucks, equpiment, trailers are tools of your trade and that they come home with you at night. It does not mean your running a business out of your house.

Do you have employees driving to your house each morning? This may be a proablem. You may have to result in having them meeting you at a local grocery store or other parking lot and leaving there cars there for the day.

Hope this helps you some.

Matt

gun32boarder
03-04-2006, 01:15 PM
We used to have the same problem. My parents own a landscaping business, we are on 3acres zoned commercial, and about 5 years ago a neighbor decided that he wanted to start and complain. He called the cops, wrote letters to the town all sorts of bs. Intill my dad found out from word of mouth that the neighbor that was *****ing, burried a above ground swimming pool along with empty 50gal drums in his back yard. Needless to say my dad confronted him about it and the *****ing stopped. Sometimes there is no reasoning with people and you need to find dirt on them.

ny300exrider
03-04-2006, 01:19 PM
opti-the guy has a 2 story house and the vent is in the attic so it overlooks my whole yard, no fence or trees would be able to block it really. you cant talk to this guy, its not somebody who would be willing to work something out with you. i think the guys wacked. the only time he ever spoke to us was months and months after he started the trouble, he came over onto my yard and cursed out my dad for loading firewood into our garage at 7:30 am on a weekday.

mrusk-thanks alot for the response, im actually going to pass on the suitcase analogy to my dad, i like that. im pretty sure my dads been to the zoning board already, they just keep pushing back dates to make decisions. my dad is currently looking around for a place to keep his trucks and trailors and have his 2 workers park there in the morning so he can say it isnt being ran from the yard but its a hassle finding a place.

TheFontMaster
03-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I really hate people like that, that ***** and moan about any, and every little thing. I don't really know any of the laws but there has to be some kind of privacy issiue with having that camera watching everything that you do. Good luck to you and your dad getting this thing sorted out.

RH1N08d9
03-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I would think you would be able to park a certain amount of trucks, outside, and whatever you can fit inside a building. You should probably have a place for workers to park other than your land though. I remember about a year ago, our county was on my friends dad's *** about having a couple trailers outside, a motorhome, and like 4 trucks. I THINK you can have as many things as you want inside a building, but only a limited amount can be parked outside.