PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning air filter

jeremy_283
03-03-2006, 07:42 PM
for everyone that thinks cleaning an airfilter with gas and then putting it back on and riding with out oiling the filter is clogging their quads lungs (kinda like smoking) without going into detail i recently just had to put my stock air filter back on for just a little bit and i cleaned it many months ago before i put it up to store on the shelf well when i had to put it back on i thought i had it already oiled and being the dumb-***** that i am i thought to myself if its not oiled it wont make much of a difference..... well recently i was taking my airboot off the carb to put my other airbox on and every time i take my airboot off i am very careful not to get one speck of dust in my carb.. well when i took off the boot my carb had a layer of dust on the inside leading me to the fact that i probably did not oil my filter..... it got from no specks of dust to a dirt pile on the inside of my carb in about one week... if u clean yer filter with gasoline and dont oil it... just take off your boot and look at the carb.... if ur prone to heart attacks have a friend nearby with a phone.... although they will laugh at the stupidity of u. And for everyone that does oil their filter will have the satisfaction of knowing their quad will live forever.. cuz i hear people talkin bout their 6 year old quads and they only clean their filter with gas.. and change their oil every year

wheeltrax
03-03-2006, 07:54 PM
i wouldnt even clean my air filter with gas. I prefer a good dish detergent and water. Then let it dry completly and oil it well.

450RGNCC
03-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I always wash mine with PJ1 foam filter cleaner, than I wash it twice more with dish soap, and the filter always looks BRAND NEW when im done, then I put a healthy coat of FFT foam filter treatment on it.

jeremy_283
03-04-2006, 07:01 AM
for foam air filters i think the washin machine works great

450RGNCC
03-04-2006, 12:02 PM
if you put an air filter in the washing machine, you have a good chance of damaging it plus all of the oils and grease will get inside your washing machine and it could screw something up, plus that oil will also get on the next set clothes that you put in there after you clean the air filter.

jeepnrocks
03-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
for foam air filters i think the washin machine works great
until your mom, wife, or girlie catch ya doing it hahahaha

jeremy_283
03-04-2006, 07:50 PM
my cloths already look like crap anyways

440EXandLT-R450
03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
I have RC car air filter oil will that work? LOL

jordan_m6
03-06-2006, 09:22 PM
on my stock foam filter i used fast orange on it and made it look brand new, and have done the same with my k&n the K&n cleaner has worked the best from what i have used.

i ride in a really dusty area and can't keep dirt out. even with a pre- filter

440EXandLT-R450
03-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by jordan_m6
on my stock foam filter i used fast orange on it and made it look brand new, and have done the same with my k&n the K&n cleaner has worked the best from what i have used.

i ride in a really dusty area and can't keep dirt out. even with a pre- filter on a go-ped if you are still having bad filetering even with a pre filter you can always try a pantyhose over the complete filter.

250r4life
03-06-2006, 10:44 PM
i wouldnt clean a filter with gas, especially not a K&N... and i sure as heck would not put a foam filter in the washer either... that isnt too far behind the guy on here saying he would stick his K&N filter in the oven to dry it quicker... sometimes i am amazed at the lack of thought process that goes on... for the guy who uses the pre-filter and still gets dirt, if you run no lid, try getting one of those outerwear airbox covers... i love mine, and i can definately notice that my filter stays cleaner longer, without compromising air flow... for real dusty conditions, unis are actually supposed to be a little better... i rarely use my uni though, as i'm usually at the front in the dusty conditions, so i dont get too much of it... i also switch my filters out about daily on long trips... i have 3 K&Ns and a UNI... i use outerwears for the K&Ns, and like i said, i really like the airbox outerwear as well... oh, and i have an outerwear for the snorkel hole as well...

03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
i use simple green but i dont have a foam filter anymore

Sjorge450R
03-07-2006, 04:42 AM
K&N recharger kit. Always looks like new. But then again, I run and air box lid AND a prefilter.

440EXandLT-R450
03-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
K&N recharger kit. Always looks like new. But then again, I run and air box lid AND a prefilter. Yea that recharger kit is nice

Rico
03-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Anyone using gas to clean a filter is an idiot...:ermm:

All filters tell you what to use and how to do it.