PDA

View Full Version : ? about living in Wisconsin

LTandRaptorider
03-03-2006, 07:23 PM
I am thinking about persuing a job in Wisconsin and wondered what living there is like. Climate, geography, housing... either renting or owning. It would be in the Milwaukee area. And of course, riding and shooting! I looked up some house listings on a realtor site... Homes seemed to be much more expensive in that area than here in PA! Any input is appreciated, thanks! :cool:

MXracer16
03-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I am thinking about persuing a job in Wisconsin and wondered what living there is like. Climate, geography, housing... either renting or owning. It would be in the Milwaukee area. And of course, riding and shooting! I looked up some house listings on a realtor site... Homes seemed to be much more expensive in that area than here in PA! Any input is appreciated, thanks! :cool:

Well, as for the weather, it's warm, about 90 or so in the summer, and gets as cold as about 0 or below in the winter. Some years we get more snow then others, like this year, we didn't get much. We occaisionally get a good strom, but not all that much. Depending on where you ride, its not all that dusty. We get a good amount of rain. If you live in Milwaukee, Black River Falls isn't too far away. It's a really nice place to ride. If your looking for tracks, there's a track in Arkansaw, Athelstene, Chilton, Tigerton, and Denmark. Those are all the ones I've gone to. They are all pretty quad friendly. Geography is fairly flat, lots of farms out in the boonies. Housing I can't help you with, it depends on where you move. I actually love living in Wisconsin, we get warm weather in the summer and colder in the winter. Are you into snowmobiling at all?

wheeltrax
03-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I love wisconsin as well. Once you get away from the city, the people are generally as friendly as can be. There are a TON of great ATV trails. And some tracks as well. Black river falls and Clark county trails are by far the best trails in wisconsin. The weather can be nice and crappy also. It can be a beautiful sunny 90 degree day or a rainy and gloomy 50 degree day to a 0 degree snow storm.. all in the same week. Unpredictable weather. Lots of cool places to go, lots of truck and tractor pulls. I live south of milwaukee, and try to avoid the city. Its not a bad city as long as you dont end up in a bad hood. Cool historic city. I recommend wisconsin.

BlasterEaten250
03-03-2006, 08:40 PM
my sister lives by milwaukee. Riding is great in wisconsin. Like the others said i would reccomend black river falls and clark county. I dont know anything about jobs or houses or anything. but im in wisconsin almost as much as I am in illinois. You cant really get bored there. Lots of cool places to go. It also has a very nice landscape. It depends were you go, there are some pretty big hills and bluffs every once and a while, and there are also a lot of flat spots. Depends were you go. Weather is very nice there, like everyone else said. If you look hard you can find good deals for property. My uncle got 40 acres for $2000 an acre:eek2: Hope this helps.:)

LTandRaptorider
03-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies! ;) The place is in Cudahy Wisconsin.

Sounds nice, although after all the bones I've broken over the years, I don't much like cold weather anymore!

I haven't been on a snowmobile in years... But I guess if I lived somewhere that had more snow than here, I would get back into it! :D

Smokin 440
03-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Wisconsin has variety, if thats what you like... Weather, people, landscape; everything is different. WE DON'T WANT YOU HERE... stay the h3ll away... JK :p

Jakeyracer
03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
living in wisconsin is ***in aweeesummm:devil: :devil: :blah: :blah: :scary: :D

Quad18star
03-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey Bart ... I'll guarantee it's not as fun as Sudbury Ontario Canada !!!!:p

Fred55
03-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Lots of places to ride thats for sure, there are also a ton of tracks near the WI-IL border too. Terrain is flat in the eastern part, but once you get SW (where i am) and West, its very hilly, huge bluffs on the rivers, awesome scenery. Houses near bigger cities will be more expensive also, smaller towns will be cheaper. Plus we have the packers....

initall
03-04-2006, 06:07 AM
Wisconsin is good, Lot of palces to ride i live 50 min from milwaukee, but do work in the area. Climate is good unless you don't like cold, the winters get real cold. The further away you move from Milwaukee the less expensive in most cases.

All in all I moved here from Chicago area, i would not move back..

MOFO
03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
I have inlaws that live in WI... I really liked the state.

One thing, people sure do talk funny. Yinz say the letter O very strange. :D

stirracing
03-04-2006, 06:48 AM
We don't have an accent, it's everyone else in the country that does, lol. If you move here get into ice racing, it's a blast. It makes the winters go by pretty quick.

BlasterEaten250
03-04-2006, 06:51 AM
people there say bubblers instead of water fountains:huh :bandit:

MXracer16
03-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Fred55
Plus we have the packers....

That's not necesarilly a good thing....

Honda#4
03-04-2006, 09:32 AM
wisconsin isnt that bad but i'd like to live in a state that has a little warmer winter months.milwaukee is such a cramped area to live thats why i live up in the northern region 43 miles north of green bay but wisconsin is a farm state so basically what u do here is pretty much related to farming.

wheeltrax
03-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
people there say bubblers instead of water fountains:huh :bandit:

and people in illinois say "pop" :huh :D

Fred55
03-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Everybody here says pop too lol

Toadz400
03-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Bubblers? Never heard anyone say that before. It's also true that everyone else in the country has an accent, we're the ones that don't;) .

And most of us say pop, I hear an occasional person say "soda" but I figure they must be from the east or south.

Wisconsin is an awesome place to live if you like weather conditions that are never changing. Our summers are mostly hot (90-100 degrees sometimes) and our winters can get to -30 (not counting wind chill). The past few years our winters have sucked and we've gotten very little snow and the weather changes from warm to cold.

You could probably find some cheap housing if you're not looking to live in a big city with expensive neighborhoods, or if you could find land for cheap I would highly recommend building your own place.

I would definately recommend living in Wisconsin, it's a great state and most of the people are very friendly (except for the many meth heads we have, only downside to Wisconsin). Also the Packers haven't been doing too good so that's not a plus either, haha, sorry guys.
I on the otherhand plan on moving south once I'm done with college because our winters have been pissing me off lately. I can't live somewhere that's very cold with no snow, if we got more snow (like back in the good ole days) I would defiantely stay for the rest of my life. But if it's going to be cold I want to ride sled, but I haven't had the chance in the past few years so I'm moving some place warm where I can ride quad/cycle all year long.

wheeltrax
03-04-2006, 11:05 AM
well then, i guess im one of the few that says soda lol.

Honda#4
03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
i say soda too so sue us.i doesnt matter how people talk or say things at least thats what i think.

LTandRaptorider
03-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, it looks like we have quite a few people on here from WI!!! And the residents seem to all like it. I would not want to live in a large city. I would look for something out away from everyone... ;) Only part that doesn't sound good for me... And I was aware of, is the cold winter. I seem to hate winters here more every year! Mostly farming, huh? Dam, I am still banned from sheep barns... :eek: :eek2: :devil: I am thinking of a position with a large company in the aerospace industry, doing ultrasonic testing. Again, thank you for the replies! It sounds like a nice place! I guess if I do make the move, I'll just have to get into winter sports!

Fred55
03-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Winters arent that bad, as long as you have something to do during them they go by fast enough. There is an indoor track in Il about an hour and half from the Wi/IL border which is huge and great for winter riding on a track. Otherwise just bundle up and ride in the snow, thats a blast also.

HtFoxChick
03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
From what I've seen, it's a very pretty state. Visited a college there and loved the drive. I'll be in wisconson ALOT come Fall.

Toadz400
03-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Well, it looks like we have quite a few people on here from WI!!! And the residents seem to all like it. I would not want to live in a large city. I would look for something out away from everyone... ;) Only part that doesn't sound good for me... And I was aware of, is the cold winter. I seem to hate winters here more every year! Mostly farming, huh? Dam, I am still banned from sheep barns... :eek: :eek2: :devil: I am thinking of a position with a large company in the aerospace industry, doing ultrasonic testing. Again, thank you for the replies! It sounds like a nice place! I guess if I do make the move, I'll just have to get into winter sports!

Maybe you should look into a job around the Oshkosh area. I'm going to the Fox Valley Technical College in Oshkosh this coming fall to become an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic. That area is huge on aircraft.

Honda#4
03-04-2006, 03:40 PM
hey htfoxchick is that u on your avatar cus ur pretty cute and u got a great looking smile i dont mean to hit on u or anything i just wanted to complament u cus your beautiful.

HtFoxChick
03-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, thanks! Yep....that be Jamie G.:)

Smokin 440
03-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by HtFoxChick
From what I've seen, it's a very pretty state. Visited a college there and loved the drive. I'll be in wisconson ALOT come Fall.

I assume you're going to school in WI? Where are you lookin at?

JUSTINcredible
03-04-2006, 05:40 PM
im not from wisconsin but i have been riding there a few times in the northen part of the state. it seems like a very atv friendly state. the trails where we were riding were in the Danbury/ Siren area.

BlasterEaten250
03-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
im not from wisconsin but i have been riding there a few times in the northen part of the state. it seems like a very atv friendly state. the trails where we were riding were in the Danbury/ Siren area. go to price county if you like those, best riding ive ever done:cool:

LTandRaptorider
03-04-2006, 05:46 PM

Ok, I'm moving! :devil:

Neal, the company in Cudahy ships parts to the testing lab I currently work for. They make aerospace parts for Rolls Royce, GE and others. That is why I have interest in them. I know they need inspectors, and pay a lot more than the company I currently work for. They need at least a Level I ultrasonic inspector, to train to level II. They have audited me for the work I do now, and I have a Level II, so hopefully that would bring in a higher starting salary. ;) So we shall see. Be nice to find a place to call home for awhile... Done a lot of moving the last few years! :rolleyes:

btw... Is this a gun-friendly state? And do they allow Concealed-carry? With proper acceptance through law-enforcement, of course...

And I always wanted to see the Oshkosh air show!! :D

BlasterEaten250
03-04-2006, 07:56 PM
btw... Is this a gun-friendly state? And do they allow Concealed-carry? With proper acceptance through law-enforcement, of course... wisconsin is huge with hunting. When you are in the middle of the season everywhere you look there is someone with an orange vest on.;)

JOEX
03-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
One thing, people sure do talk funny. Yinz say the letter O very strange. :D
Someone from PA saying others talk funny:p

TREDZ71
03-04-2006, 08:43 PM
LTandRaptorider-

Congrats on the new job. I've lived in Milwaukee all my life and I like it. I work for a large corporation downtown which is nice because the city is spending a lot of money to upgrade downtown. The night life has increased dramatically. There are upper-class, swanky joints, martini bars all over the place, your typical college bars, country spots, and on and on. The city really offers a lot.

The winters are not too bad...they've actually become milder over the years. Riding spots are few and far between around the Milwaukee area. However, tracks can be found. Trails are abundant...mainly in central and northern WI.

I'll be racing the District 16 Wisconsin Great Lakes Quad Series, District 17's Nuclear Series in Byron, IL. and selected Lake Geneva, WI night races. If you're running MX let me know. Good luck with the job.

redmanracer
03-04-2006, 11:28 PM
all my relatives live in wisconsin on the eastern part which is basically all flat...but my grandparents have a place on white potatoe lake(north part of the state) and if you take a road all the way around the lake on the north-west side you can jump right onto the "dusty trails" and its basically sand trails but an amazing place to ride...but yeah wisconsin has alot of awesome places to ride

Fred55
03-05-2006, 12:43 AM
:

btw... Is this a gun-friendly state? And do they allow Concealed-carry? With proper acceptance through law-enforcement, of course...

And I always wanted to see the Oshkosh air show!! :D

Guns and hunting are huge, ever noticed typical packer game attire is green, gold and blaze orange? lol opening deer gun season, it seems like 30% of the kids are gone out hunting and missing school. some schools even take the day off.

also the air show is an awesome thing to go to! even if your not into planes its amazing to see.

Toadz400
03-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Sounds like you'll love it in Wisconsin. I would definately recommend checking out the Oshkosh air show, definately something cool to see even if you're not that much into airplanes.

There are plenty of places to ride in Wisconsin the more north you travel, so if you're willing to drive a little you could have days of riding ahead of you.

HtFoxChick
03-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
I assume you're going to school in WI? Where are you lookin at?

University Of Wisconson-Stout in Menomine, WI

tw1976
03-05-2006, 12:18 PM
When in doubt go to Stout if you can't get in there go to Eau Claire. :D

MXracer16
03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by redmanracer
all my relatives live in wisconsin on the eastern part which is basically all flat...but my grandparents have a place on white potatoe lake(north part of the state) and if you take a road all the way around the lake on the north-west side you can jump right onto the "dusty trails" and its basically sand trails but an amazing place to ride...but yeah wisconsin has alot of awesome places to ride

Yep, I go riding there prolly 10 times a year. I have a cabin by Crivitz.The Dusty Trails are connected to the Bunny Run Trails and the Iron Snowshoe trails. They are all great places to ride. Do you happen to know where Tommy's bar is?

2001-400ex'er
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
This is funny because right now I am doing a paper for school on "Why Wisconsin is a Great Place to Live". I love Wisconsin, every season has sometime different to do. There are a few MX tracks around and in winter there is alot of ice racing and SnoCross. I would say that about 80% of people own guns around here, and hunting is huge. Up north most counties dont care if you ride on the roads because they are part of the trails so thats always fun to.

Toadz400
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by tw1976

Haha, I was going to say the EXACT same thing but I thought I might insult Jamie.

Smokin 440
03-05-2006, 10:14 PM
University Of Wisconson-Stout in Menomine, WI

Sorry to hear that... jk...

LTandRaptorider, I don't know about the concealed carry law and its status right now, but i know something about it is going through the legislature right now or already has...

More stuff about WI, we have 2 of the biggest music events in the country, Country USA in Oshkosh and Summerfest in Milwaukee. If you like music, partying, and beer there's a place for you here...

wheeltrax
03-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
Sorry to hear that... jk...

More stuff about WI, we have 2 of the biggest music events in the country, Country USA in Oshkosh and Summerfest in Milwaukee. If you like music, partying, and beer there's a place for you here...

Isnt country thunder a bigger event then country usa? Just wondering. I went to country thunder last year and it was huge. Best time of my life. Plus I met alot of cool people from many different states.

Smokin 440
03-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
Isnt country thunder a bigger event then country usa? Just wondering. I went to country thunder last year and it was huge. Best time of my life. Plus I met alot of cool people from many different states.

What is Country Thunder??

wheeltrax
03-05-2006, 10:56 PM
lol ouch.. big country festival.. Idk which is bigger, i have never been to country usa so i dont know much about it.

www.countrythunder.com - the lineup this year is not nearly as good as last year. It is in Twin lakes.

Smokin 440
03-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
lol ouch.. big country festival.. Idk which is bigger, i have never been to country usa so i dont know much about it.

www.countrythunder.com - the lineup this year is not nearly as good as last year. It is in Twin lakes.

I would guess Country USA is bigger, but first note I said One of the biggest, not the biggest:p Not to mention Country Usa is a 5 day event and is SPILLING and I mean SPILLING out of its current location, they bought a new site, but it sadly is not going to be done. Neither site has information pertaining to attendance so :ermm:

jokerman_28
03-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by tw1976

eau claire is the 3rd toughest school in the state to get into... $0.02

HtFoxChick
03-15-2006, 06:57 AM
I was told that Stout was a hard one to get into, also.. Thankfully, got in!!

TheX1992
03-15-2006, 08:18 AM
It's actually Country Fest guys, if that's the same one I'm thinking of.

And if you're going to Stout, well I'll appologize right now if I end up on your doorstep one night with a bunch of drunken men singing Toby Keith or something :p

Toadz400
03-15-2006, 08:17 PM
I was told that Stout was a hard one to get into, also.. Thankfully, got in!!

Actually I believe Stout is one of the easiest colleges to get into. And I haven't heard anything about Eau Claire being hard either. A few friends of mine got into Stout no problem (and one of them I think got dropped on his head a lot when he was younger:ermm: ).

Quad18star
03-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey Bart ... you decide on where you're going yet ??? I just moved into a house and there's an extra bedroom with a single bed in it not being used . I'll give you a good deal on rent . :blah: