PDA

View Full Version : clutch or shift fork or?

93toy4x4
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
i have a 2001 400EX. It runs smooth in all gears but 3rd. It is fine in 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th. If i ease it in 3rd it will be ok for a minute but it will start to spin and grind. If i nail it in third it just spins and grinds immediately. The quad has no power and wont go in third so i skip it and things are fine. Could this be a clutch, bent shift fork, a bad 3rd gear, or what?

FoxMxRiders
03-03-2006, 03:37 PM
That is definitly not a clutch because it will slip in all gear.If your fork was bent,you won't be able to shift.

Im thinking about bad 3rd gear!!!

exrider008
03-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FoxMxRiders
That is definitly not a clutch because it will slip in all gear.If your fork was bent,you won't be able to shift.

Im thinking about bad 3rd gear!!!

what he said check ur 3rd gear it is probly bad.

SHADETREE101
03-04-2006, 08:22 AM
replace both, i replaced just the fork and later had to replace the fork and gear. just a little shving ont he gear will cause it to kick out of gear and when it does that it will bend the fork. if you are looking at the shift fork and see any shiny spots on the rear of the fork pad, it is worn and needs replaced. 3rd gear has two different gears you will need to replace to know it will work right.