PDA

View Full Version : LTR skid plates?

chaser
03-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm looking for an engine skidplate and swingarm skidplate for my LTR. I don't think I'll be racing it, but it is possible. Anyhow, I need some H.D. parts for rocky desert riding. Any idea's?

Colby@C&DRacing
03-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Prm skids are very durable we use them for racing xc.

KWAD GAWD
03-03-2006, 09:08 PM
This is the same problem everybody is having. Nobody makes a beefy swingarm skid yet. Suzuki's line of Genuine Suzuki Accessories makes an aluminum rear skid, but it's tiny and only covers the spocket side for some reason. It's for MX, that's all that's available now. They also make A Arm skids, but I'm not sure about a belly skid? I'm sure in a month or so they'll be one out.

Stormn
03-04-2006, 05:41 AM
I have raced desert for a few years and PRM gets my vote. Very happy with the result of their products. I looked at the prm website ( http://prm-atv.com/MN.asp?pg=products&grp=107&mfr=5 ) and they have items listed for the ltr. Didn't check availability, but that is what run on my 250r and will be the first thing aftermarket I will do to my new 450 (whatever brand i go with) .

I have been reading all post. Keep up the good discussions all. :D

KWAD GAWD
03-04-2006, 12:58 PM
SWEET! Thanks!!! I was NOT aware of that. Good job PRM for being on the ball!!!! Yee ha!

quadfam4
03-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Just received front and rear grab bars and skid plate from PRM. Took about an hour to bolt it all on. The quad gained about 8 lbs in the process but I wanted something to grab onto with two hands if I wanted to move it and something to slide on if I hit something. The stock swingarm protection is just hanging out there waiting to scoop something or get whacked.

slief
03-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I have the PRM skids on my LTR. I have the A-Arm skids, full bottom skid and the swing arm skid. All I can say is that they are a great package and damn near bullet proof. The swing arm skid covers the entire swing arm. I can't imagine better protection from any other skid plate.
The one thing that I will mention is that the PRM eliminates the stock rear chain guard. PRM offers a chain roller for use in conjunction with their skid plate on the LTR that may be a good idea since the stock chain guard acts as a guide.
The PRM swing arm skid plate does have a chain protector or slide mounted to the bottom of the skid that allows the chain to ride against the skid plate without unwanted wear to the chain or the skid. The roller will keep the chain from bouncing and its above the chain.
Hope that helps!

Speed_MDS2
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Hey slief, whats the part # for that chain roller? I ordered a set of skids from them a few days ago and they didn't mention needing any additional items. :ermm: Do you have any pics of it on and the roller also? Thanks.:D

slief
03-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I am not sure what the part number is. They just sent me the part after I received and installed the skids. When I noticed the lack of a complete chain guard, it prompted me to call them and question them.

I would call them and ask. They will know what you are talking about. I do not think that it is needed but it seems like a good idea. I had the sales guy look at the owners LTR that was there and he did not have it on his bike, so it is likely not needed.

I am going to install it just to be safe. It keeps the chain from moving upward and installs into one of the factory chain guard holes using one of the original guards bolts.

They do not come with instructions as of yet or at least did not as of a week ago but the install is pretty much self explanitory. The only thing that I did not like was that the rear skid plate mounts to the same location as the factory chain guard (among other places) and the hex bolts to me look like they could get hit by the chain if it swung to the side. I chose to use the round low profile alan bolts that hold the factory skid plate on (you will be removing this) so that the chain does not come in contact with these bolts. It was just a concern so that is what I felt would be safe.

I must say though that the they make a nice product and it is sure to do it job of protecting the factory metal very well. I am very happy with the investment and it even looks nice!

Best Regards,
Scott

Speed_MDS2
03-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the info bro, can't wait to get mine.