PDA

View Full Version : RTC clutch lever issue

400EXBill
03-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Has anybody else broken the clutch cable adjuster on their RTC clutch levers? I got mine brand new yesterday and installed it. When I was taking up the slack on the clutch cable, the adjuster twisted and broke. I hardly put any force on it. I noticed it was made out of a soft metal. In fact, it was a softer feeling metal than the stock clutch levers cable adjuster. I ended up swaping in the stock one to get me by. Did they change materials or is it just me?:( Here's a couple pics.

The broken piece:

http://fullthrottleassault.com/tech/400ex/lever/01.jpg

The stock adjuster on the RTC lever.

http://fullthrottleassault.com/tech/400ex/lever/02.jpg

I am very happy with the easier pull and it works awesome. I also got the adjustable brake lever from RTC and love the control and how it feels. All thats left is bypassing the neutral safety switch wires for the clutch and I'm done.

Havfnridn
03-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Call Brian direct at rtc. The number is (918) 694-3466. He will take care of you. Where did you buy the lever at.

400grl
03-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Yep - that happened on both of ours.....we have stopped using those. As nice as the leverage ratio is, it's also really hard on the cable itself - tends to shred it over time......

400EXBill
03-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I bought it new through Ebay from RTC. They had a deal on there for the clutch and brake levers with free shipping. I sent them an email telling them what happened today. Just waiting to hear from them. It would be cool if they sent another adjuster, but I don't want it if it's the same grade of metal. I'll just keep using the stock one.

400EXBill
03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
As nice as the leverage ratio is, it's also really hard on the cable itself - tends to shred it over time......

Yeah, the instructions mentioned something about that. They said to be sure the cable slot on the adjuster is faceing the handlebar side in line with the pivot bolt or you will have excessive wear on the cable from the slotted bolt.

400grl
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
You will have excessive wear regardless.......and the metal is all the same soft material.....but I had one on my 450 for a year befor it broke (went through several clutch cables though)....my husband wasn't so lucky. :ermm:

Rico
03-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I"ve been using RTC for about 2 years now and there is a certain way the insert has to be positioned to keep from freying or breaking clutch cables. I've never had any issues with mine but I would think it should be replaced at no cost.

You also can't twist that fitting out until 2 threads are holding it in place, if you did then there's your problem.

Keep us posted.

03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
ive had no problems with mine except when I rolled my quad it bent and I tried to bend it back and it broke. I did order anothe rone though

300exOH
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I broke the adjuster on my RTC about 2 days after I put it on. I used the RTC thumb wheel along with the adjuster from the stock honda lever and it works great now. I emailed RTC and they sent me a new adjuster for free but after looking at it I decided to stick with the honda adjuster. You definitely have to make sure the slot in the adjuster is facing the direction the cable moves(toward the bars) or the cable won't last long.

Rip_Tear
03-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Try adjusting your cable down by the clutch instead of at the lever, that will take some of the strain off that adjuster.

Dave400ex
03-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Are these problems with both the standard lever setup and the Xtreme Racer setup? I was going to get the Xtreme racer, but if it has problems too I might as well pay a little more and get a Works Connection.

03-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Are these problems with both the standard lever setup and the Xtreme Racer setup? I was going to get the Xtreme racer, but if it has problems too I might as well pay a little more and get a Works Connection. id get the RTC...this guys problem is prob. installation error. I have had mine for A LONG time now and its still perfect

400EXBill
03-05-2006, 09:14 PM
How do you install a cable adjuster wrong? It's not like you can hook it up backwards or something. It was hooked up right. The adjuster is made of a lesser grade of metal. Compare yours to a stock one. You'll see.

To answer Dave400ex's question, I have the RTC pro pull levers.

400EXBill
03-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Try adjusting your cable down by the clutch instead of at the lever, that will take some of the strain off that adjuster.

Are you freakin serious?! What will that do? The cable has the same tension at the clutch as it does at the clutch lever. Besides, it doesn't really matter to me now since I'm going to keep using the stock adjuster anyway. It didn't break when I adjusted the cable up like the RTC one did.

Lonestar_R
03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I just use a stock adjuster on my 250R with the RTC clutch lever......I've never had any problems......