PDA

View Full Version : Predator stalling when hot - or not..?

ridingblind
03-03-2006, 03:18 AM
A Friend of mine has a 03 Predator (but obviously not a computer) .. anyway .. he has this random problem.

Bike starts fine and runs well.. but then *sometimes* it just stalls .. lights go out, everything is dead.. it's like you've turne the bike off .. then after 3-5 min.. everthing turns back on, and he can ride it again .. it usually happens the first time after about 30 min of riding.. then really randomly after that .. sometimes 5 min, sometimes 5 days..

Other things that *might* be related are:
Sometimes he's shocked through either the handlebars, or the bolts that go through the side covers between the seat and the tank.
And.. the fan seems to run a LOT .. the fluid level is fine, it has been checked regularly.

He's taken different CDI's off of other bikes, and it didn't seem to resolve anything, and last weekend we had to put in a different battery because his shorted out internally.. it was only a year old.

Questions I have are...
Is there a thermostate shut-off switch that may be giong bad, it's reading the temp is to high and shutting off the motor till it cools .. or is there maybe a stator short that is causing this...

we have checked nearly all of the wiring to see if there is a short to the frame, no luck there.

Just to clarify .. the bike just goes dead, nothing, nada, zip, lights go out, it wont crank, nothing on the dash lights up.. totally dead, jiggling wires doesn't seem to help, it just takes time, a very random time.. and other times, it just doesn't happen at all .. all weekend... after a couple of minutes, everything comes back on and it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated, and i thank you in advance for your time and help

smokinwrench
03-03-2006, 05:48 AM
Did replacing the battery change the symptoms?

Since it sounds like you have checked the complete wirign harness, I would pull every connector apart and clean them. Make sure all wires have a good connections and all connectors and wires spades are clean.

If that doesn't help then I would start ohming out all electrical components when it has no power.

good luck

Bradracer18
03-03-2006, 05:59 AM
When you clean and put the connections back, a little electrical grease wouldn't be a bad idea either.

There is a sensor(not sure about thermostat...there is a thermostat, but I don't know much about it).....and the sensor can go bad, I know this. It is up near the radiator I think, the little plug that goes into the top. Also, you might also check to see if the little black "pouch" is ok.....it is similar to a circuit breaker......and can also go bad.

ridingblind
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Don't suppose anyone has a link to a wiring diagram for a predator?

Bradracer18
03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't know if this will help ya or not, but you could try this website.

http://partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1141405738-5596&P=ATV-2003-PREDATOR

Forgot to mention in my last post, the little black pouch is near the cdi, kinda looks covered in tape.....

ridingblind
03-03-2006, 10:20 AM
the question i have though .. is will one of the temp sensors shut the bike totally off like it's doing .. or should i be directing my attention more to the black pouch?

and is there a way to test any of these things?

Bradracer18
03-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I'll get back to ya.....I'm not exactly sure....

wolffie
03-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by ridingblind
Don't suppose anyone has a link to a wiring diagram for a predator?

the predator's owner manual has a an wiring diagram in it! if i get home in the next couple of days i will scan it for you. you should look into buying one though (worth the money!)

Flynbryan19
03-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Been down this road before. I know exactly what your problem is.

There are two circuit breakers in the pred's wiring system. One underneath the gas tank right above the radiator, and another behind the left hand black side panel by your knee. They are in small black plastic pouches. You'll have to cut the pouches and remove the breakers and replace them with new ones.

The one under the black panel by your knee is a 20amp and the one under the tank is a 10amp. You can get the breakers at any auto parts store like Advance auto parts. When you cut open the pouches they're most likely going to be completely corroded, so make sure you clean up the connectors real well. I chased this problem around for 2-3 months before I found it.

Check this out, and I'd be willing to almost bet you money this is his problem. Let us know what you find. ;)

the predator
03-03-2006, 02:07 PM
if it isnt what bryan said, i have 2 suggestions...1) do you have a aftermarket killswitch hooked up to the quad? it may be hooked up wrong...2) you have a bad ground somewhere that is what's cause the sock, it's eith a wire, circuit breaker, or kill switch....check those and let me know what it does after that.

ridingblind
03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by the predator
if it isnt what bryan said, i have 2 suggestions...1) do you have a aftermarket killswitch hooked up to the quad? it may be hooked up wrong...2) you have a bad ground somewhere that is what's cause the sock, it's eith a wire, circuit breaker, or kill switch....check those and let me know what it does after that.

NEG. .. No kill switch

the predator
03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
than it is a ground wire some where, and it is prob involved with the circuit breakers.

MAaudioX10
03-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Also, check the connections going into the light switch. Make sure all that is not corroded or loose. Had that happen to me one time.