PDA

View Full Version : Need stock suspension help quick

jchurch
03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
What adjustments can be made to a completely stock '04 450r to make it handle as well as possible? Where should the shock adjustments be for a 220# XC rider? I know the best thing to do is get all the shocks done, but I'm going to be riding with some guys this weekend who will have me out equiped and I don't want to leave anything on the table.
I should point out; this quad is brand new with only about an hour on it. Also, I'm talking about the suspension being stock. I already have a pipe, jet and filter on it.
thanks in advance.....JC

MAD450r
03-03-2006, 05:40 AM
After that then on the rear check the rebound. [its on the bottom of the shock near the link] I made mine slower but im lighter than you.

Then take it for a ride and see how its acting. Once you test ride it again see if it feels too soft or bottoms out. If not then you can make the compression a bit softer as well since you said xc. I ride more whoops and jumps myself so I setup stiffer for MX.

As for the front I never touched mine. I did make a freinds return a bit slower since his was a bit bouncy when taking tight turns.

Chino886
03-03-2006, 06:49 AM
The adjustment on the bottom of the shock is your rebound and the adjustment on the rezzie is your compression. If you front end comes off the ground when you land a jumb, you need to slow your rebound down, same for the rear. The compression is going to control how smooth your ride is, if it is a really rough ride, then you need to soften your compression up. I hope that helps. I am really impressed with the 450R shocks (on a 450R), I rode my brother's on a MX track last weekend and they are valved for 220 lbs and I am only 185 lbs with full gear on.

If I have stated something wrong here, someone please correct me........

Thanks!

kyleschonert
03-03-2006, 08:09 AM
you were right everywhere except at the beginning. The knob on the rezzie is the compression adjuster. you stated rebound adjuster twice. but yes, you were right from all that i know.

Chino886
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Kyle, corrected it! Didn't want anyone to get their panties in a wad over something I made an error on!