PDA

View Full Version : terrible ride today

416expowerman
03-02-2006, 08:57 PM
holy.... i had the worst riding day ever. i went out with a friend to go ride on some trails and some dirt roads we knew of. I dont know why i let this kid drag me out to go riding in a wicked snowstorm. well anyways, the first incedent that happened was my chain came off the rear sproket and it happened so fast that i got kinked up inbetween the front sproket and the frame. luckily there was a guy we knew close by. we fixed it then went riding somemore. sure enought it happened again. after that i was like,"this thing is junk". My friend had to pull me bak to a local shop with his suzuki z-250 i fixed it then tightened up the chain so it wouldnt happen again. we went to a spot where there were some jumps and we fooled around. it started gettin dark so we headed home. we took a dirt road and my friend with the z-250 lost control around a corner and slammed into a guard rail. his tire got stuck behind the guard rail. the only way to get it out was to let the air out of the tire. we got his quad out and headed home again. here i am thinking everything is ok then all of a sudden POP!!!!! my a-arm snapped right in half. i was so mad it was rediculous. i had to ride home in like 15 degree weather on three wheels in the dark doing like 20mph. it sucked im thinkin weather i should sell my 416ex or just fix it. cuz this thing is a money pit!!!:huh

armysig
03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Dang, that sucks. Well the chain is an easy fix, and it should't cost you to much. You might have to replace the front sprocket if it warn away.
A-arms, that can be spendy. If it looks like it can be fixed you can try that. If not you might have to get new ones. Are you running stock or aftermarket A-arms? Stock is easy enough to come by for cheap.

All I can say is check your bike before every ride. Sometimes bad luck just happens.

hotrodbelair
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
if your running stock arms should be able to find some on here for pretty cheap.

416expowerman
03-03-2006, 06:42 AM
yea the a-arms are stock. about how much do they go for.

coryatver
03-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Hey man I am just trying to help you out with this so here is some tips. Check your bike over before every ride and you won't have any problems. Maitnence is important especally in bad weather. Also check your axle bearings. If they are bad it can also cause your chain to fall off. Quads take maitnence and have many wear parts that need replaced. You have to expect to replace them on an older quad. Good luck.

also I am selling a-arms
link (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=215084)

armysig
03-03-2006, 06:54 AM
On Ebay used Stock A-armys can go for 30 to 80bucks. It just depends on the seller.

On this board you might be able to get them a little cheaper if you throw in some kind of a trade with cash.

I have a used set, but the grease boots need to be replaced. If you're intrested let me know. I really wasn't going to sell them but I'll think about it this weekend.

I'll be gone until Monday. Heading to the mountians in Arizona for some riding.

416expowerman
03-03-2006, 10:02 AM
idk what im going to do yet. il let you guys know as soon as i decide what im going to do.
thx fo rall your help:D

curious george
03-03-2006, 11:16 AM
that stuff has never happened to anybody i know you must have really bad luck. sorry about all that terrible stuff that happened to your T-Rex:rolleyes:

exrider008
03-03-2006, 11:43 AM
u should check your swingarm bearings and axle bearing s cuz if they r bad then it would cause the chain to fall off. and it sounds like me and u have the same luck, good luck getting it back together.

416expowerman
03-03-2006, 07:24 PM
thanks guys

DieselBoy
03-06-2006, 11:35 PM
UHHHH, my chains got some slack in it. I looked up a new chain "set" (whatever that means) on a website it said $98 tell me its just a bad nighmare. PLEASE...........

03-07-2006, 05:28 AM
thats no nightmare...

I hav a set of laeger +2 a-arms, cheep. 250$. need to get rid of them. nice condition.

416expowerman
03-07-2006, 08:39 AM
i got another a arm finally. now all i nee is the nut to screw it on.:D

NacsMXer
03-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by exrider008
u should check your swingarm bearings and axle bearing s cuz if they r bad then it would cause the chain to fall off. and it sounds like me and u have the same luck, good luck getting it back together.

Do what he said. If you axle carrier bearings are shot, then it will cause the chain to fall off during riding. If you retighten it, and it throws the chain again, then the axle bearings are toast for sure.

Sorry about the bad luck, but the chain came off your quad for two possible reasons only. 1 is that your axle carrier bearings are shot. 2 is that you did not have the chain adjusted properly.

As for the stock A-arm snapping, that should not surprise you. Stock A-arms rust from the inside out, before you know it, all the damage has been done and it goes SNAP. I would reccommend going to aftermarket arms as soon as you can afford it, because its just going to happen again with those stock arms..

416expowerman
03-08-2006, 08:24 AM
ok thx ill keep that in mind.

darkzealot
08-10-2006, 12:07 PM
sorry for bringing back an old thread like this. But i have the same problem with my chain. The chain alway pop off the rear sproket during ride ( and it goes between the front sproket and frame like that guy). But i read everything here so i checked my axle bearing, lock nut .... everything is tight .
Axle bearing and lock nut have 2 weeks on em. There new. Anyway, nothing is moving. I adjusted my chain, 1 1/4" of slack. And it did it again !

So i put my chain back on the sproket and went riding, checking the chain almost every min, and noticed that the chain streched. I came home, one day after, the slack was back to 1 1/4.

would a weared o-ring chain stretch that fast during ride...is it time for a new chain.?.!. it has half year ride on it

thx you

idontknowwhoiam
08-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by darkzealot
sorry for bringing back an old thread like this. But i have the same problem with my chain. The chain alway pop off the rear sproket during ride ( and it goes between the front sproket and frame like that guy). But i read everything here so i checked my axle bearing, lock nut .... everything is tight .
Axle bearing and lock nut have 2 weeks on em. There new. Anyway, nothing is moving. I adjusted my chain, 1 1/4" of slack. And it did it again !

So i put my chain back on the sproket and went riding, checking the chain almost every min, and noticed that the chain slacked. I came home, one day after, the slack was back to 1 1/4.

would a weared o-ring chain slack that fast during ride...is it time for a new chain.?.!. it has half year ride on it

thx you

What kinda quad do u have?...i went ridin with my little brothers buddy in a raptor 350 and they got a "chain carrier"(not sure what its called..like a derailer on a mountainbike) and it was crooked just a little bit so it was throwin his chain off

darkzealot
08-11-2006, 09:42 AM
400ex :)

coreo5
08-11-2006, 09:20 PM
what side a arm do you need....i have the right side off of mine....i cracked one and replaced them with a new set so i have the right side i would seel for pretty cheap

darkzealot
08-11-2006, 10:54 PM
this is an old thread, sorry for confusion, i though i could use it cause i have the same problem this guy had...so he probably dont need a-arm anymore =P

the new part of the thread start with my first post on second page....again sorry for that.

Now, anyone can tell me if i need a new chain or if i have some adjustment to do... :confused:

thx

08-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Somedays just go like that.When a few things start happening I just go home

krt400ex
08-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by hotrodbelair
if your running stock arms should be able to find some on here for pretty cheap.

ya, at ronnies.com they r only like $86 for a brand new one

exrider49
08-12-2006, 05:56 PM
i used to have your same luck and i quit riding on trails and mudding and putti naround the yard and ever since my quad has been fine, im makin it a mx 400 i got jb racing a-arms on order and nothing has been wrong since i started to race it