PDA

View Full Version : Synthetics in 450R (both sides)

rcrc32500
03-02-2006, 08:51 PM
I am fairly new to the sport of ATV MX. As a matter of fact I was really introduced to it 2 years ago when I began supporting my nephew's race team - I LOVE IT!

We are just about complete w/ his '06 450R.

I was looking for thoughts on running synthetic lubes in both resevoirs (engine and gear). I have been told countless times that you should not run synthetics on the gear side, but no one has ever given me PROOF as to why this is bad. Synthetics seem the best way to go to me. He ran them in his old 426 the past few years with improved power and virtually no clutch deterioration at all. That said, the bottom end seems to need some work now, and he is concerned it had to do with the synthetic lube - I think it was just age and racing wear and tear.

Thanks in advance for all your .02 cents! Please provide some history/experiences with your explanation - particularly if you think synthetics would be bad for the gear side.

Rico
03-03-2006, 05:50 AM
Better protection, less break down, the list goes on and on. Good luck with your choice but I see NO reason why you couldn't run it.

Rip_Tear
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree with Rico! I think what info you are getting is the old modifiers thing that people had problems with using oil for a dry clutch instead of a wet clutch.

rcrc32500
03-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I feel the same way you all do, I was just a little uneasy hearing so many "just don't do it" comments about synthetics with a clutch.

We've invested too many 1000's to count in the new 450r - just want it to last and run strong.

Any additional input is welcomed.

Rico
03-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by rcrc32500
Thanks for the info guys.

I feel the same way you all do, I was just a little uneasy hearing so many "just don't do it" comments about synthetics with a clutch.

We've invested too many 1000's to count in the new 450r - just want it to last and run strong.

Any additional input is welcomed.

Most of those nay sayers are going by what they heard or read and have no idea of what they are talking about. Running synthetics in that motor is the BEST thing you can do for it. I've gotten 3 years out of my clutch running synthetic oils and I wear the mofo out when I'm riding. It will help a clutch more than hurt it. If you want to hurt your clutch keep that petro oil in there...:cool:

I find it funny to read that running synthetics will burn up a clutch..:huh IF anything it will make it slip not burn it up, burning it up would happen from no oil or over used oil from not changing it. The only way it would it slip is if their were friction modifiers added which any atv/bike specified oil would not have it do to the wet clutches in motors these days. and for the record I"ve ran mobil 1 synthetic with friction modifiers in my EX and NEVER had a problem with the clutch slipping. Heavier clutch springs would also keep it from slipping, which I think all motors should have anyway, the stockers suck.

wilkin250r
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by rcrc32500

I'll echo what Rico said.

The problem with synthetics is that many automotive synthetics have friction modifiers. This can cause a problem with a clutch because the clutch NEEDS friction in order to work. If the plates get corroded and slippery, they don't grab. They start to slip, and that slipping builds up heat and eventually burns the clutch.

However, that is with automotive synthetic oils. Any motorcycle synthetic is safe, they don't have friction modifiers.

03-03-2006, 06:47 PM
is automotive synthetic safe in engine side of 450r? I am using this stuff http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/64/42/61_1.JPG

rcrc32500
03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the feedback. Definately sounds like I'll be using SYNTHETICS in the new 450r. I always felt the same, but figured the slipping issue was worth investigating. I completely agree that in my experience synthetic moto oil makes clutches last 'forever' particularly on the 400ex's.

Now another question for those 450r experienced...

Do you run synthetic motor oil or synthetic gear lube on the clutch side? I think Honda specs say you can run either so what's best?

In my very novice opinion the 20-50 Syn motor oil would work best all around. But I'm too new at this to "really" know.

Still open to all opinions.

Rico
03-05-2006, 05:41 AM
20w-50 would work great just get some from a company that has it for ATV's.

rcrc32500
03-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks again Rico. We'll be runnin AMSOIL since they offered my nephew pretty good sponsorship deal. Going to go with 20-50.