PDA

View Full Version : Handling a quad like a bike

Mxjunkie
03-02-2006, 07:58 PM
How do some of you guys ride quads like bikes, I've watched a ton of vids and it amazes me how some guys can whip them, seat bounce etc.

Anyone know how to learn this?

450rider79south
03-02-2006, 07:59 PM
a lot of practice. :devil:

Mxjunkie
03-02-2006, 08:03 PM
lol I know that, but damn some of these dudes are amazing, I've tryed to do true whips on my quad and it just doesnt work and these guys are goin completely sideways :p

450rider79south
03-02-2006, 08:07 PM
i know dude its crazy. like in H-8 when Dana Creech whipped that like 100 foot grass jump. insane. but i dont really think those guys have any techniques... they just kind of do it. my friend chris has em' down kinda. i think it just takes them time and practice. i havnt really tried it yet though. i might tomorrow. lol

Rootar
03-03-2006, 08:14 AM
i like to do like the bikes do on the high jump off my ramp jump and have it pointing straight up and then hit the rea brakes and push forward on the bars reall hard and itll suck the rea back up to you leveling it out i have already posted pics of me getting it close to straight before on here and then leveling out, i cant whip for **** tilts i can lay them over but whips i can turn it maybe maybe 15 degrees :ermm:

when i do whips i go off the jump neutral and then turn the bars to the left pretty abrupt, tilt it left side down and with body english the rear will kick to the right , then you tilt it back and turnthe bars back and your straight agian. thats just me i guess i need some more body english to get it more sideways

Mxjunkie
03-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Luburgh is another rider that has this down, His part in h7 he throws that quad around like no tomorrow

NacsMXer
03-03-2006, 02:00 PM
Being strong and not having a real heavy quad also helps a lot. You ever see Nic Granlund ride a 250R? He's a huge dude and throws that thing around like a kiddy bike.

The other part is mostly practice. Once you get the feel for something, it just comes natural and you just do it.

I can throw down some pretty tweaked out turndowns on the 400, but those whips.... I don't like to mess with them, they don't ever turn out too well :p

450rider79south
03-03-2006, 03:09 PM
i tryed a whip off this little double by my house today. didnt really work. i landed on two wheels and ended up flipping the quad and i smashed my shoulder into a tree. yeah it hurt like a mofo.

but i tried it off a bigger jump and i was kind of doing them. haha me and my friends ditched school today to learn the whip. but i think we'll have it down by the summer. not like the pros though. ill try and get pics tomorrow.

wolffie
03-03-2006, 08:16 PM
my buddy can pull decent whips on his 400ex, but i mean it is truly all about practice:D as mentioned before, it helps if you are a strong dude and have a lightweight vehicle. i am a relatively strong person myself, but you wont catch me throwing my 415lb preddy around in a whip:D :D lmao

coolex
03-03-2006, 08:43 PM
this is not me but its nasty

wolffie
03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
:eek2: damn!

03-05-2006, 09:00 PM
I can whip. But i cant bring it back. I can only do them if its the way u have to be for the landing.

Jakeyracer
03-12-2006, 12:01 AM
i do whips all the time and it isnt on purpose it has just kinda always happend since i started jumping whenever i try to prevent it it doesnt work i still whip but it straightens out faster even on a tiny two foot tall jump with my 400 it still happens:confused: why this happens is still to be found out ;)

quadman22
03-14-2006, 11:56 AM
i've seen that pic before... look tho, its a little tipped. notice the clouds. still sick though

Mxjunkie
03-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Almost got it :p

at the lip I turn the bars and move my weight, cant bring it back though, it works perfect for that section cause I gotta turn to hit the step down :p

03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
I cant do a true whip, but I can throw my quad sideways. I would have pics but my there on my friends camera but hes too awesome to send them to me.

jeannie hurtado
03-29-2006, 11:35 AM
No offense 4-strokies!! The guys who handle there quads that good are proboly ridin 4 strokers!! I mean two strokes are harder to handle, and if someone can handle a 250R really really really good, theyve bn ridin it for like 5 yrs. Im on my 2nd yr on my 250R and its still hard to do some freestyle tricks!!:D

I can really whipe my quad great, I can keep it slidin around corners forever!!! :macho

03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Josh what are u hitting that 2 foot jump for with all that dirt?!!?!?!?!!?! Make some nice jumps dawg!

optikid123
03-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by jeannie hurtado
No offense 4-strokies!! The guys who handle there quads that good are proboly ridin 4 strokers!! I mean two strokes are harder to handle, and if someone can handle a 250R really really really good, theyve bn ridin it for like 5 yrs. Im on my 2nd yr on my 250R and its still hard to do some freestyle tricks!!:D

I can really whipe my quad great, I can keep it slidin around corners forever!!! :macho

:confused:

2 strokes handle the same, infact a 250r is one of the best handling quads ever made

hard one
03-30-2006, 09:28 AM
I can whip my quad pretty good i gusse it is from riding bmx for a couple of years RIDING ON TWO WHEELS.

all you have to do is preload the shocks and when you get to the lip of the jump lift the front and at the same time kick your feet out and it works for me every time. I DONT GET ANGLED LIKE THE PROS BUT I CAN GET SIDEWAYS PRETTY FAR.

JUST DONT BE RETARDED AND HIT A SMALL JUMP LIKE THAT BANSHEE GUY!

05' RM 125 FAST AS HELL
03' TRX 300 EX MODDED

Mxjunkie
03-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by hard one
I can whip my quad pretty good i gusse it is from riding bmx for a couple of years RIDING ON TWO WHEELS.

all you have to do is preload the shocks and when you get to the lip of the jump lift the front and at the same time kick your feet out and it works for me every time. I DONT GET ANGLED LIKE THE PROS BUT I CAN GET SIDEWAYS PRETTY FAR.

JUST DONT BE RETARDED AND HIT A SMALL JUMP LIKE THAT BANSHEE GUY!

05' RM 125 FAST AS HELL
03' TRX 300 EX MODDED

do what now... didnt you read the post, theres a turn right when I land if there wasnt a turn I wouldnt even try them there

NacsMXer
03-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by optikid123
:confused:

2 strokes handle the same, infact a 250r is one of the best handling quads ever made

Exactly. The 250R is light as a feather compared to me throwing around my 400. The 250R has one of the most predictable, natural chassis ever made IMO. I don't see how the 250R itself takes a lot of skill to manuever in the air (except for the fact that you have to keep the front end down more than 4 strokes).

jeannie hurtado
03-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Ya, mayb ur right!!!

Kilabanshee
03-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I've been practicing whips off my friend's double. I usually over whip it or under whip it. I can't seem to find a happy median...

Iliketogofast
04-05-2006, 02:30 PM
That first pic is sick .

CannondaleRider
04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I've noticed with the 23" front tires on my Cannondale, or the 25" tires on my Wolverine...Just turning in the air moves the bike pretty well.

As for the "whip" with tipping the bike sideways.....not all that hard. Just pull weight off the "upper" peg, keep your body in the same spot, and push the bike to the side. Being that your body is in the same position, you can just pull it back level. If your trying to get your body to go with the bike, then you'll have a hell of a time getting it back.

Iliketogofast
04-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Don't forget to use your arms.... You can also put weight on one arm along with the leg to get a more even distribution of weight.

Have you ever seen the Huevos (I think 4 or 5) where the guy hits the tabletop and does a 180? That's sweet.