PDA

View Full Version : question about auto insurance

Stevie-D
03-02-2006, 04:14 PM
i wrecked my truck last week, and my buddy is going to let my drive his plow truck until i get the insurance money for mine. question..
im 17, 18 at the end of the month. my mom dropped my insurance for personal reasons.
now...can i legally drive my friends truck if i don't have my own insurance policy? mom says no..i want to find out if she is right or not. :confused:

btw, the truck will be registered, insured, and inspected.

underpowered
03-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Maybe, some insurance is now insureing the driver and it follows them to whatever car they are driving, but most are still insuring the car itself.

PismoLocal
03-02-2006, 04:29 PM
In california you insure the cars not the drivers (which is dumb & expensive). I dont know what the rules are in your state but here that would be legal as long as your buddy doesnt skip out on his insurance payment on the truck your driving and you are a licensed driver.

Giz400ex
03-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I would have to agree with "Mom"! Your taking a huge risk without having any type of insurance. Most insurance companies, when apply for the insurance, you need to input the names of the drivers that will be driving the auto. If your not on that list and something happens, you and the person that owns the auto can get in some trouble. It wouldn't hurt to call the ins company:D

coolex
03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
In california you insure the cars not the drivers (which is dumb & expensive). I dont know what the rules are in your state but here that would be legal as long as your buddy doesnt skip out on his insurance payment on the truck your driving and you are a licensed driver.

same here in nh