PDA

View Full Version : Firsts mods on 400ex

chevy19
03-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Hey guys what was the first mod or best bang for the buck on a stock ex. Does anybody run a 416 or 426 or hot cams and how do you like them?

TRX23rider
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
your first mod should be a pipe before you go into the engine

04'400ex'er
03-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Exhaust and filter should come first...then the cam. Hotcams was deff. my best bang for the buck though. but wouldnt run well with the stock exhaust.

400exc
03-02-2006, 05:04 PM
yea a pipe and filter would be good, maybe play around with the sprockets by going up teeth and down teeth

450r51
03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
suspension, suspension, suspension. ill take suspension over any motor mods every day.

ride_red666
03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
i put in a cam before exhause cause its alot cheaper. felt an increase in power but when i put my full exhaust on it really noticed it more.

hondaboy400ex55
03-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Front sproket 14t, then a pipe, filter, jets THEN suspension suspension suspension

sarah_mx07
03-05-2006, 06:16 PM
i run a 416.. most reliable bore ,, absoulty love it! youll be able to tell a difference. if you got the bore, you wouldnt regret it!

premiumtommy
03-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Everyone says a pipe is the first thing you should do. WRONG!

Before you get a pipe and waste your money. Decide what mods you are going to do and then you can decide on the size and quality of a pipe needed. It all depends on how much air you will need to exhaust with the mods added (not just how cool the pipe sounds). Different pipes work differently with mildly to seriously modded engines.

I would suggest you get a thinner head-gasket (xr400) before anything. This will increase your compression ratio for $15. You should get that correct before you do cams or at least while you do cams since you'll have the engine apart.

You should also buy a shop manual so you can learn to work on the quad yourself. You will save an A55LOAD of cash that can be used for future mods. You will also appreciate the quad more since you know how much time and effort went into it.

Oh..One more thing..The 14 tooth sprocket..You wont need it if you mod the engine with a bore or cam etc etc..Get a 16 tooth cause your engine will have all the torque it needs from the mods so you might as well add alittle top end the cheapest way....

Hope I could help. Good luck.

northwest Texas
03-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Another vote for suspension. Good shocks front and rear make all the difference in the world.

Unverfehrt400ex
03-05-2006, 10:27 PM
i say for your first mods start out pretty small. no engine work. pipe, filter, nerfs, bumper, handle bars. then later on the suspension. in my opinion thats the best upgrade you can do but its expensive

03-06-2006, 07:42 AM
first mods-skid plate protection...at least .250 swingarm skid. anything will do for a frame skid. a-arms skids aren't overly necessary.

second-suspension/ handling-this will allow you to go faster than if you added a pipe. def. get new front shocks and a steering dampner. have you rear shock revalved by gt thunder and get his rear link...get a gripper seat cover also, if you aren't sliding all arond on a muddy seat, you are in better control. a good set of handguards also fall into this category. they protect your hands from rock, branches, etc. if your hands get hurt during the course of a ride, you will have less control. bars and grips are a personal choice, go with what feel most comfortable to you.

now you can do the motor mods/ pipe....as said before, build all at once so the parts match and add where you want more power added

2004exrider
03-06-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by premiumtommy
I would suggest you get a thinner head-gasket (xr400) before anything. This will increase your compression ratio for $15. You should get that correct before you do cams or at least while you do cams since you'll have the engine apart.Hope I could help. Good luck.

I dont think putting the XR gasket is going to make a noticable difference that would make it worth tearing apart, the XR - 9.3:1 and the EX - 9.1:1. The cam is a really good mod though.:macho

Jimmy

SET THE STAGE
03-06-2006, 04:47 PM
i'd go for a decent set of +2 a-arms and maybe an axle first. a 400ex has enough power for now. but once you've got the money i'd get a decent exhaust and maybe new cams.