PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of the 450er?

jones256
03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
i have herd a lot of people talking about the (electric start) version of the 450R and have herd some negative things about it? anyone withone have problems??? or do you like it???

czrider263
03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
love mine plain and simple

03-02-2006, 01:32 PM
do you do races with dead engine starts if so what does it start like and have you raced it along sice an 04 or 05 i did mine and the 04 did me, ok it had a full system and air box mods but thats it

450r51
03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
i think its a great bike but i hate to say it, the ltr450 blows the pants of the 450r.

400excracer
03-02-2006, 07:55 PM
The LTR blows alright!

Quad Boy 660r
03-02-2006, 08:27 PM
A guy I know came over yesterday,Wednesday, and wanted to spin some laps on my track with his 450ER that has about 5 hours on it, and just got back from the shop for the third time for electrical problems.

Everything went fine and dandy for about 3 minutes. Then, it just died in a corner. He cranked it over for about 12 seconds and it finally started.

This happened FIVE times in one half hour. The last time, it baseically took a dump, and we had to have a neighbor haul him out with a Polaris Ranger (we were down in a valley).

The last time he took it riding, before this time, he rode it to the top of a hill, and it just died, cartwheeling about five times into a creekbed!

This is all from personal experience.

If I get a 450R, It will def be kick.

KRMit
03-03-2006, 07:34 AM
The only problems I've had with mine is it not wanting to crank back up after being stalled and some hesitation when stabbing the gas. I don't think either of these problems would be any better with a kick start.

Jersey450R
03-03-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by 450r51
i think its a great bike but i hate to say it, the ltr450 blows the pants of the 450r.

Hahaha! Its a shame every 450R, including mine, was spanking 2 LTR's at the track on Sunday. Hopefully there will be a few more this sunday! The Suzukis are DOGS! My local dealership isnt even gonna sell them, lol.

I do think in prolly 2 years, they will be awesome.

KRMit
03-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
Hahaha! Its a shame every 450R, including mine, was spanking 2 LTR's at the track on Sunday. Hopefully there will be a few more this sunday! The Suzukis are DOGS! My local dealership isnt even gonna sell them, lol.

I do think in prolly 2 years, they will be awesome.
I wouldn't say all that. A buddy of mine got one and I think it's pretty awesome. I used to run away from him when he had a Z400, but he's right there with me now on the 450.

Johnny B
03-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Just because the ltr keeps up with the 450r dosent mean it is awesome, the rapter keeps up with a 450 and its not "awesome"

KRMit
03-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Johnny B
Just because the ltr keeps up with the 450r dosent mean it is awesome, the rapter keeps up with a 450 and its not "awesome"
Well, it blows away the Z400 he rode before anyway. The LT-R450 felt pretty awesome when I rode it as well. You can throw your body weight around on the quad very well and it's easy to pitch sideways. I admittedly haven't jumped anything with it, but I expect it to handle hits about as well as the 450R. The throttle response is great on it, it just felt a little underpowered compared to my HRC Honda. Maybe that can be corrected with a few mods. Assuming there are no bugs or structural flaws (who knows at this point), I would say the LT-R is a better out of the box MXer than the 450R. So, yeah it's "awesome".

Why are we talking so much about Suzuki anyway, I thought this was a thread about the 450ER?

jones256
03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
I know that a lot of shops dont have any kickstarts because honda only released a few hundred or so, but does anyone know if you can go to the dealer and have them order one???

DRT
03-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Quad Boy 660r
A guy I know came over yesterday,Wednesday, and wanted to spin some laps on my track with his 450ER that has about 5 hours on it, and just got back from the shop for the third time for electrical problems.

Everything went fine and dandy for about 3 minutes. Then, it just died in a corner. He cranked it over for about 12 seconds and it finally started.

This happened FIVE times in one half hour. The last time, it baseically took a dump, and we had to have a neighbor haul him out with a Polaris Ranger (we were down in a valley).

The last time he took it riding, before this time, he rode it to the top of a hill, and it just died, cartwheeling about five times into a creekbed!

This is all from personal experience.

If I get a 450R, It will def be kick.

What kind of electrical problems did he have?Just trying to figure out here how the electric start can make a quad stall?Mine used to stall all the time too.That was caused by the horrable stock jetting and the idle set to low.

Quad Boy 660r
03-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by DRT
What kind of electrical problems did he have?Just trying to figure out here how the electric start can make a quad stall?Mine used to stall all the time too.That was caused by the horrable stock jetting and the idle set to low.

See, thats it. No one knows what it could be. I'll tell him to bump up the idle, and see what happens.

The other big problem is why wont it start? I'm thinkin Honda just made a starter system that was just too weak. The starter clutch (I think) is making a bang about 4 or 5 second into the starting procedure. It has to crank for ever.

The shop that he bought it from said something about the wrong kind of gas. It was premium pump. Sounds like their just trying to balme someone else.
Any other suggestions?

Dave400ex
03-05-2006, 11:34 AM
His problems sound like jetting to me. Stalling it wouldn't be from the e-start. Mine has started everytime. It's not as fast as some, but it has started everytime. A few have had problems, but a lot more have not. I think most will be fine.

Tripyn
03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Actually, this starting problem with the ER's is becoming more common now. I bought mine back in late October and had the problem right out the box. Starts fine when it is cold, but if you stall it hot you better pack a lunch because it will be a while before you get it started. That is if you do not run the little battery down first. I finally had it after this weekend and took it into the dealer yesterday and they admitted it is a BIG problem with these ER's.

I have done everything I could to help, jetting, adjusted the accell pump, leakjet change and uping the compression to 80-90psi. Nada.....I have to admit it has got better but I am getting tired of being towed back to the trailer or bump started.

My question is; do the kickers have the same problem, it looks like not. I am waiting to see what the dealer says, but there are some folks over on the .org that have talked to Honda and their dealers and they can not figure it out. All propblems point at the starter clutch/weak battery.....any idea's?

400excracer
03-08-2006, 02:33 PM
I love my 450ER. I'm not a big fan of kick starting, so I waited till the estart came out. I havent had any problems so far and I dont think I will. Everyone is always scared of something new, especially when the kick has been so reliable. I'm sure some people have had some problems with the estart, but I'm sure people have had problems with the kick too. I'll kept my estart.

4ABURN
03-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by 400excracer
I love my 450ER. I'm not a big fan of kick starting, so I waited till the estart came out. I havent had any problems so far and I dont think I will. Everyone is always scared of something new, especially when the kick has been so reliable. I'm sure some people have had some problems with the estart, but I'm sure people have had problems with the kick too. I'll kept my estart.

me too:D :D

GIXXER1KR
03-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I love my Estart!!And it is even better with the HRC kit!!!Honda has had electric start in there 4 strokes forever!!!!Its not like its new technology!!!!Sure there will be some bad ones like anything!!!And of course youll hear all the problems like anything.Im sure to every 1 problem 1 there is 1000 good.Sad that u only hear the bad.Think about it how many guys come on a Honda site and brag about there 450ER starting easily!!!!LOL!!!!!!Do the math you cant go wrong!!The only reason MXers who race go with the kicker is because less electonics to take a beaten on!!!But im sure it will hold up god the Yami starts up !!!!!

moto440ex
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I love my 450er too! I have had no problems with it at all, and ive had it over 3 months now. It only takes a few seconds to start every time, and idles fine. When its hot it starts as soon as I push the start button. And an extra 6 or 7 pounds because of the battery isnt that big of a deal, because I only weigh about 165 so i dont think will matter in Motocross.

Lax
03-08-2006, 07:18 PM
It says in the manual, you are only suspose to hold the electric start for 5 seconds, and give it a 10 second break if it dosnt start or you will fry it. My opinion, most or some of the starter issues is improper reading of directions. Mine starts everytime.

Jonas
03-08-2006, 07:39 PM
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have an 06 kick and it starts just like my 05 kick as far as I can tell. If I stall it bad it takes a few extra kicks but no big deal. I think that most people are used to their 250ex, 300ex, and 400ex. THIS IS A RACE QUAD FOLKS. Also, read your owner manual. Nobody does and that's a majority of the problem.

RedRacer44
03-08-2006, 10:57 PM
I've had my '06 450ER since February. Now I didnt ride it stock, it was bought to be built into a MX race quad. It fired everytime just fine when it was stock (jetting, pipe, airbox lid). After installing a full Sparks exhaust and changing jetting, it started even better plus it ran a WHOLE lot better! I have hardly any hesitation or bog in how my bike runs like some others are complaining of. I've ridden a couple of HRC '06s and they started/ran just fine also.

Now my personal issues I've had with the '06 was after I installed a Stage 2 HotCam. We havent figured out why but its coming very relavent that installing almost any cam besides the HRC.....the bike doesnt like to start unless you bump up the decompression setting. Now the bad part of that is if you have to bump up the decompression a lot to make it start easier....if the motor every "kicks back", it can break your starter. I have yet to re-set my decompression setting past what Honda says is "spec" but I have been able to get the bike start, it just takes a lil' skill :)

I had an '04 kicker and it was a pain to start if you stalled it when it was hot. The dirt bike motor is the same way....just the nature of the beast. I dont know where everyone is getting these electrical issues either....I havent had any electrical problems with mine. I have killed 1 battery but that was my own fault....Honda warranty kicked in for me though so no probs!

Basically though, I love my '06 450ER. It runs GREAT and handles like a dream. I think a lot of peoples problems is they are treating this bike like an ol' 400EX or something similiar. This bike was built for performance. Also, proper jetting changes will cure 99% of the starting issues I believe. As far as electrical issues....i have no clue what the deal is there. I agree with GIXXER1KR though, nobody ever hears about the good things really. Its always the bad things that get put into the spot light. For the 1 or 2 bikes that dont start well, I'd lay money there is 50 that start just fine. Just my opinion though.....

Honda did amazing things with the '06, the motor is amazing. Lets just cross our fingers that they keep changing the bike for the best every few years like they do the CRF.....things look good for Honda owners in the future!

lumi
03-08-2006, 10:59 PM
hell yea the 06 is a great piece of machine to own.. i never had a problem starting it.. no hesitations at all... if u let the bike warm up well u shouldnt have any hesitations issues. i stall it/ it starts right back up and in cold warm any situation Electricx start is the best i personally love it. the power is great hrc kit i bet must ripp open things.

trick250r
03-09-2006, 07:41 AM
i was worried about the same thing when i bought the 450. i'll never have a kicker again, at least not if it has the magic button. i havent had problems of it not starting while hot or anything. def. get the ER.

trx250rkid
03-09-2006, 03:27 PM
my er has been fine too. i havent ridden it too much because alot is changing on it right now as you see!;)
http://www.trx450r.org/forum/uploads/post-261-1140987573.jpg

GIXXER1KR
03-09-2006, 05:08 PM
A kicker with the electric start would be badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!Anyone from HONDA listening!LOL!!So if the battery dies just kick it!!