PDA

View Full Version : Y not wiseco?

PismoLocal
03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
I was wondering why every body on this sight prefers je or ross over wiseco. I personally have no opinion in the matter because i know nothin about the subject. Can some one please explain which company makes the best piston performance/mechanically wise and why.

desertrats
03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I actually like Pro-X myself, just my opinion though. They are all pretty much the same except the Wiseco pistons get a little soft over time and they reduce reliability. I think anyways, I was just talkin to a friend that works over at the shop the other day and he said something like that, just cant remember what the piston getting soft on you does. Anyways, I like Pro-X cause they seem to run really well and last forever. If you looking for a piston go with OEM or Pro-X, or just whoever you feel comfortable with.

PismoLocal
03-02-2006, 11:59 AM
I have a wiseco 440 right now but im rebuilding my motor in may and i was wondering if i should get a different piston while its all apart.

desertrats
03-02-2006, 12:13 PM
how often do you rebuild you engine? I think with maybe a Pro-X you might be able to go a little longer without a rebuild, and plus the Pro-X pistons are cheaper, the Wiseco stock 400ex bore piston kit is $144.99 and the Pro-X stock $400ex bore piston kit is $112.99. It really boils down to personal preference and how tight you budget it. lol Like me, I am on a very tight budget normally. lol Need you open up my own shop or something, lol.:D

PismoLocal
03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Im a starving college student im on a tight budget I've had my quad for about 2 years and i bought it with a 440 kit and now im going to put a heavy duty cam chain, new piston, cam, and hd headstuds in. I just want to get the best piston i can afford so that i wont have to rebuild for atleast a couple more years.

desertrats
03-02-2006, 12:33 PM
cool, I would go with Pro-X if I was you. I have one and I love it

RiderTRX400ex
03-02-2006, 12:41 PM
totally agreed.. i have a pro-x piston and it seems indestructable.. lol.. i know its not, but that thing is been in a bout a year and seen some hard time.. i got mine for 100 bucks and its just been awesome.. i think the only difference between the niks pro x and the wiseco (besides compression) is that pro x is cast alum and wisecon is forged.. i could be wrong though!!

i got a brand new wiseco 87mm 11:1 piston to make a EX a 416 sitting around im probably gunna sell... just cuz i dont like wiseco :rolleyes:

PismoLocal
03-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Can you post a link to pro-x pistons?

bmf400ex
03-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
Can you post a link to pro-x pistons?

www.lasleeve.com

wiseco makes true performance forged pistons, apparently JE and Ross do as well. i wouldn't use anything else. nothing against pro-x, they make good stuff, but the build quality process is not as good as wiseco

NacsMXer
03-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Personally, I think that the JE, Ross, and Wiseco pistons are all superior to the Pro-X. My buddy installed a brand new Pro-x in his fresh 265R motor. One day he was riding it, and the piston just shattered into a million pieces. An entire engine teardown and new cases were the result.

Forged pistons are the only way to go.

greg_gorrell
03-02-2006, 06:45 PM
theres more factors than the brand of piston which would cause it to "shatter into a million pieces." i personally use wiseco since thats all i have ever used but i always did wonder what the difference was.

bmf400ex
03-02-2006, 06:55 PM
there is one simple fact that applies to more products than pistons. Forged materials are stronger than cast, they wear more evenly and expand slower than their cast counterparts. now one thing to mention is that if you use a forged piston it will take longer to warm up and expand in the cylindar than a cast piston will. Which means its safer to allow your quad to warm up longer if it has a forged piston in it.

wheeltrax
03-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Which is why quite a few snowmobilers dont use wisecos or forged pistons, greater chance of cold seize. I know when I was looking at pistons for my sled, I was told repeatedly to use a cast. In my quad i run a wiseco

coolex
03-02-2006, 09:22 PM
id get pro-x or weiseco

JEFF400EX
03-03-2006, 09:47 AM
just got the wiseco 416 pidton kit from magic racing lastnight $99

desertrats
03-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I may end up buying a wiseco, lol. that pro-x piston shater in that 265r kinda scares me, lol

400exrider707
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Most people say that about wisecos on here because the wiseco piston for the 400ex is actually an xr 400 piston, and it doesn't offer the correct compression that they advertise, but its still a great piston none the less, just most 400ex owners opt for the JE or Ross for that reason.

jsmith2232
03-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Does JE make a piston for the 416 or does it just use bigger rings?