PDA

View Full Version : valves

parts eeter
03-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I removed the valves from the head and they are really corroded,but are tight in the guides and show good pattern on the seats.The oem valves will cost about 100.00 bux to replace.
Is there a good alternative thru the aftermarket for a superior valve set??Or would you say that a good cleaning and relap would be sufficient.The quad ran fine before but had oil issues cuz the rings were wore out.It started fine and ran awesome and idled well.Should I just clean and relap my original valves,and put new seals in??Or buy oem or aftermarket valves and install with new seals.The original seals were definitely hardened and cooked.Thanks guys!!:D

underpowered
03-02-2006, 11:18 AM
you should be able to clean and re-use the stock valves without any problems. i would check them to be sure though. do they have sharp edges? how "worn" do they look? If you want/need to replace them get some Kibblewhite valves. cost is about 31 a valve but qualityand longevity is better than stock. The intakes and exhaust valves are both hardened where stock only the exhaust is. get the Blackdiamond version. any dealer should be able to get them since parts unlimited carries them, if not you can go straight to kible white to order, but they can be a pain to deal with at times.

parts eeter
03-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Well,I did my calculations on this build.With all new bearings,engine,plastic,nerfs,tires,skids,bars,bla h blah I am at 2900.00.I am kinda gettin pissed at myself for not just waiting and buying somethin else,but I really like the ex for a woods machine better than those mx quads.The valves dont have any step on the guide area and the exhaust shows very slight sinkage on the valve contact.The Honda shop has em in stock for 127 bux for all 4 and I can get my engine back together this weekend.So that alone is winning me over.I will just be sure to jet rich to preserve them.thanks Tyler.I will build a head in my spare time with those kibble valves and install on an evening I am not doin anything.