PDA

View Full Version : Stock shocks or after market on 450R?

BLEEDRED
03-02-2006, 07:34 AM
I’m going to use my ’06 450R mostly as a woods machine. I’m a recreational rider only…no MX and dunes only a couple of times a year. I want the machine to handle well in the tight woods and am considering spending some money on suspension. During riding season I usually weigh 210-220 pounds. Will the stock suspension work well for me or should I consider an after market set up?

gbcap
03-02-2006, 07:47 AM
aftermarket is almost always better that is for sure.

i would not spend 1300 on quad rate elkas if all you do is trail right. you can go with either the GTThunder revalve and respring for your weight about about 800 for all three shocks and link in the back or you can buy a recreational series shock from just about any manufacturer. you won't believe the difference in ride quality you get out of new shocks.

quaddy87
03-02-2006, 07:50 AM
if your not doing n e motocross or much jumping...the stock shocks on the 450r are not bad. i had to race mx on stock shocks for half the summer till my aftermarket parts came and they arent bad.

03-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
GTThunder revalve and respring for your weight about about 800 for all three shocks and link in the back mine were A LOT cheaper then that

gbcap
03-02-2006, 07:54 AM
yeah....that is the webpage price. i am sure you can get deals below that. i bought elka so i am not sure.

BLEEDRED
03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
I was running Works AT steelers on my 400EX and that was a huge improvment over stock. Any idea what weight the 450R shocks are valved for stock?

Chino886
03-02-2006, 08:05 AM
220 lbs I believe......

BLEEDRED
03-02-2006, 08:14 AM
What is the deal with the stock rear linkage? Why is it so critical to replace it with after market?

Chino886
03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Well, I took this off the website of one of the best suspension guys out there.......

Rear Suspension

The rear suspension of the 450R has several issues that we address.

1.Insufficient up travel of the rear wheels.

2. Insufficient wheel travel for serious racing.

3. Rebound valving that is very fast. Even with the rebound adjustment turned all the way to the stiffest setting the rebound is still to fast for good handling.

We have designed several new rear linkages to help correct these issues. with added up travel of the rear wheels, added wheel travel and a good progressive rate in the rear setup, you can get greatly improved ride quality.

With these new rear linkages - you also then have an increased leverage ratio at the shock, creating a need for additional valving and sometimes spring changes. While we are in the shock adjusting the compression valving, we also correct the rebound valving at no extra charge.

He goes by the name of Laz!

BLEEDRED
03-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Laz is a bit of legend on this site. I understand GT Thunder is one of the best in the industry.

Anybody know anything about the Works Black Widow series? Also if I used a shock from a buddy that was about 30 pounds lighter than me, how critical would it be to revalve right away? Remember, I don't ride MX, just rec. woods. Thanks.

Chino886
03-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
Laz is a bit of legend on this site. I understand GT Thunder is one of the best in the industry.

Anybody know anything about the Works Black Widow series? Also if I used a shock from a buddy that was about 30 pounds lighter than me, how critical would it be to revalve right away? Remember, I don't ride MX, just rec. woods. Thanks.

From my personal experience, 30 lbs is alot when dealing with shock valving, I rode on a shock set up for my brother at 220 lbs and I was at 200 lbs, it was a rough ride.......

Now I have some shocks that are set up for my weight and boy it is great!:D

03-02-2006, 09:15 AM
you can either get them revalved by G T Thunder or buy some Elka's, obviously the Elka's will be better being they are fully aftermarket, but a revalve is also a nice way to save some money

Laz at G T Thunder did my Elka's, I would never let anyone but him touch them, he does great work

BLEEDRED
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Got contact number for this Laz guy? I've been hearing about him for years on this site...I think I need to talk to him.

03-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Got contact number for this Laz guy? I've been hearing about him for years on this site...I think I need to talk to him.

330-674-7122, you can tell him Yurik Norton sent you and he will hook you up with a great deal on whatever you need :macho

BLEEDRED
03-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks!!

Anybody have any feedback on the Works Black Widows?

03-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks!!

Anybody have any feedback on the Works Black Widows?

i havent rode them, only heard info, but according to the people i talked to it is just typical works, they are still building cheaper quality stuff but advertising it like it is better, if your in the market for shocks i would look into something known to perform and be quality, Elka is what i chose to run, but like i said, i have never rode them, just heard things about them

03-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Got contact number for this Laz guy? I've been hearing about him for years on this site...I think I need to talk to him. dont order directly through him if you do order...you can get cheaper elsewhere www.aggressivepowersports.com

Chino886
03-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey Bleedred,

Don't be afraid to air it out on the stockers though, they hold up just fine. This is me on my brother's 450R!

Chino886