PDA

View Full Version : Legal Help (sort of)

APK400exRacer
03-02-2006, 06:13 AM
Well I have been looking at a truck for a LONG time now. Im 15 and turn 16 in August (3rd to be exact) I am about a grand shy of the amount needed for the truck, but could come up with it in no time, maybe even get a loan. Now here is where the help is needed. At 15, am I able to purchase the truck and have my name on the title? Could i purchase this truck and have it be legally mine? Or do i have to be a licensed driver? This is literally my dream truck and been busting my arse to try and get it. I want to buy it now before it is sold and i cant get it anymore.
Basically bottom line can i buy this truck before i am a licensed driver and still have my name 1st on the title?

knighttime
03-02-2006, 06:32 AM
i would guess you could own it at 15:confused:

if not, maybe you could work something out with the owner where you make a down payment, then get it when you turn 16

03-02-2006, 07:20 AM
In P.a, when you transfer a title a drivers licsence is required i believe. I'd call your local quick tags place, they would know better.

ballz2thewall
03-02-2006, 07:38 AM
my uncle gave me a car when I was 15 and I had my name on the title, I did have to get a I.D card though!

gbcap
03-02-2006, 07:41 AM
you h ave to be 16 to title it. but you don't have to title it right away. you can store it at your house with the copy of the title he gave you. when you turn 16 and get your license take it and get it put in your name.

you could also have your rents title it and then switch it to your name later.

Ralph
03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
u dont own anything untill your 18. Until then ur parents own everything. That is unless you pretty much divorce your parents.

PismoLocal
03-02-2006, 09:47 AM
In california you can be on title with your parents, like me i my name and my moms was on the pinks til i turned 18 now its just mine.

ShiftFMX
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, Same here in MI, My truck will be in my parents name till I turn 18 in a few months.

@Bad465EX
03-02-2006, 11:11 AM
In illinois you can have it in your name before you are 16.. my buddy had a jeep in his name when he was 15.

wilkin250r
03-02-2006, 11:48 AM
There are two major issues, here.

First off, I don't think you have to be a licensed driver. A license is for "driving", it has nothing to do with legal ownership of a vehicle. In much the same way, I can own a streetbike even though I don't have a motorcycle license. Legal ownership has nothing to do with a licence to drive.

However, just like Ralph said, you don't actually "own" anything until you are an adult, at 18. You might be able to put your name on the title, but if push comes to shove in a legal battle, it's actually your parents that own it. For this reason, some states won't let you put your name on the title until you are 18, or make you put it on with your parents. Whether 15 or 16, licenced or not, it doesn't matter. You don't own it until you're 18.

Ralph
03-02-2006, 11:50 AM
unless u are emancipated from ur parents which would make u an "adult"

drybranch
03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I think that there is some confusion on whether you can have it titled in your name and whether you can license it. You can own it here in WV but you would not be able to license it until you are licensed yourself. You want to address how the veh will be insured when you get your license b/c the way the title reads could make the premium considerably more.

coolex
03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
in nh u can have ur name on the title before you have your license

coolex
03-02-2006, 01:29 PM
in nh u can have ur name on the title before you have your license